Any Bronies on here?

Drtooth

Reaction score
FINALLY!

Funko has released a vynal statue figure thing of Discord. Unfortunately it's like 25 bucks, and I'm too casual a fan (if I can even call myself one) to want to spend that much on a thing like that. But it's nice to see that my favorite character in the series that had yet to get any merchandising of any kind finally has something.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Since Peter Kelamis and Ian James Corlett have officially joined the cast for the show, I wouldn't be surprised if Janyse Jaud, David Paul Grove, and Keenan Christenson sign up to join the cast for the show.
Janyse Jaud...the voice of Concordia? DO WANT
And Ian James Corlett...please have him voice Mega Pony!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Season 5 just premiered, and it seems like this one will be more about the Mane 6 exploring distant lands and spreading their message of friendship to others in need.

The two-parter was about the Mane 6 coming across a village where every pony has an equal sign for a cutie mark and a disturbingly cheerful façade that even Pinkie Pie knows is fake. Turns out they were all magically removed by their tyrannical leader because they felt that the cutie marks that represent their talents, and subsequently their talents themselves, were holding them back in making friends and simply felt that having nothing to compare them to would improve those chances. It's the closest to a bona fide cult the MLP franchise has seen with just a pinch of communism added in for good measure.

Last edited:

Luke kun

Reaction score
Season 5 just premiered, and it seems like this one will be more about the Mane 6 exploring distant lands and spreading their message of friendship to others in need.

The two-parter was about the Mane 6 coming across a village where every pony has an equal sign for a cutie mark and a disturbingly cheerful façade that even Pinkie Pie knows is fake. Turns out they were all magically removed by their tyrannical leader because they felt that the cutie marks that represent their talents, and subsequently their talents themselves, were holding them back in making friends and simply felt that having nothing to compare them to would improve those chances. It's the closest to a bona fide cult the MLP franchise has seen with just a pinch of communism added in for good measure.
It reminded me more of 1984.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Happy Meal collector's alert. MLP is going to be the girls toy after the Home promotion. Supposedly it's the pony and human counterparts of 4 of the characters. I know this because of the mega exciting freaking Robots in Disguise promotion for the boys! Squee!!! And they have Underbite!

errr... yeah. So there's that if anyone wants ponies with their cow meat.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Happy Meal collector's alert. MLP is going to be the girls toy after the Home promotion. Supposedly it's the pony and human counterparts of 4 of the characters. I know this because of the mega exciting freaking Robots in Disguise promotion for the boys! Squee!!! And they have Underbite!

errr... yeah. So there's that if anyone wants ponies with their cow meat.
YES!

EDIT: I just saw an MLP ad under here!

snichols1973

Reaction score
The staff did a great job in "Slice of Life", where Matilda and Cranky are getting ready for their wedding. Before this, Derpy/Muffins' only other significant speaking role was a cameo in "The Last Roundup"; she, along with other background characters, gets her moment to step into the spotlight.

Mayor Mare
: It's remarkable to me how a story like Cranky's search for Matilda could fill this room with such a unique collection of ponies! It makes you realize that everypony is the star of their own story. And it's not just the main characters in our stories that make life so rich! It's everypony – those who play big parts and those who play small. If it weren't for everypony in this room and many more who couldn't be here today, Cranky and Matilda's lives wouldn't be as full and vibrant as they are.

http://www.mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Slice_of_Life

In addition, Steven Magnet makes his first significant appearance since his debut in the "Friendship Is Magic, Part 2" episode, when he was then known as "Sea Serpent"; he is also given a character name for the first time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
No different from the show with John de Lancie or Weird Al doing voices, and at least they're using a celeb with a musical and acting background. Not to mention, she has a connection to the Muppets in that she was Mrs. Noodle. :laugh: And I wonder if Discord will still have a major role in the movie regardless?

I'm still hoping for an animation bump to full traditional. I don't think the producers would stick to the Flash animation currently used for TV, and I don't think going all CGI would go over well for the bronies. If the 2nd SpongeBob movie can (mostly) stick with the same animation on a relatively modest budget (about $70 mil., and I'm sure a good chuck of that was from the CG sequences) and still make a crapload of money regardless, than I think this will, too. Considering how much Hasbro spends on the Bayformers movies, this would be a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hasbro hasn't done a theatrical animated tie in to a current series movie since Transformers, and the reception it got at the box office prevented G.I. Joe's current at the time in production one from reaching anything beyond home theater (even though the opening demanded to be seen on a big screen).

I like how Hasbro's not taking any chances, and just making a FIM movie instead of what would usually happen in these cases, a CGI hybrid with human protagonists separate from the current animated series. I'd see them doing a bloated budget version of the original 80's specials. But they actually know their audience here will expect nothing less than FIM characters and original cartoon voices. And yes, hopefully it will be seen like Spongebob, Rugrats, or Simpson as a major film and not like PPG as something that they can see on TV anyway.

Even when they manage to do one of their franchises more or less "right," they aren't well regarded. When you talk about things like Jem (which wouldn't work as anything close to the original's capacity without being camp anyway) and Battleship (which has the thinnest possible story period, and even then they had to make it aliens instead of a battle between two ships), neither should work well, and the end result means they work even worse. Smart choice in making it a hit cartoon series and not something else.