Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

ploobis

Reaction score
I absolutely love the Edginess in the pitch!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I really can't wait to see how Fozzie his girlfriend and her family grow. I also love the fact that after not being in the last two movies very much Gonzo is making some what of a comeback.

ConstantineFan

Reaction score
Wondering what celebrities are we going to get, will they reuse celebrities from the 2 recent Muppet movies, Muppets Most Wanted and The Muppets (2011), or will they use random Disney celebrities like Ross Lynch, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad, Chris Evans, and Ty Simpkins.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just saw this and can't even process it because of all the excitement and greatness packed into 10 minutes. Went by like a flash. To say the obvious I was excited about the show before, but now I'm hopping up and down and frantically hoping the rest of the summer zips the heck by so it's September just to see this thing. That's saying something. I hate fall... gets colder, darker, those allergies.... I can't even pick out a part to praise. It's just all... ooh!

They actually made a show edgy the right way. May not age really well, but certainly no worse than VMX. Seems they've done it more carefully here anyway. I'd say it's like someone took the concept of Greg the Bunny and made it actually work. I really hope that they can keep up the tone and style of the pilot. Maybe even punch it up and make the jokes spread out to character development with longer stories.

I seriously don't get the fuss over Kermit saying "****" in this context. He's not using it as a swear word, he's using it as a description. (It's not even like "**** on Earth" is a phrase he made up.) Is this a much bigger deal in America or something?
(EDIT: Okay so apparently it's a big enough deal that the word has to be auto-censored here. I don't think I've seen anywhere else that does that.)
I never understood how that's always a cuss word, especially when it's used as a Biblical allegory. Janice said that the Happiness Hotel was going to it. On the other hand, seems the characters aren't going hard core PG-13 language either, so there's nothing to worry about there. Seems they're walking an early Simpsons line.

Besides, Daffy Duck had the immortal "We're getting screwed" line in Space Jam and that was (if you don't want to feel old, finish the sentence here, I'm shuddering to type it) almost 20 years before this.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Now that was a great pilot presentation, no wonder it was picked up, I mean the writers finally didn't make Fozzie, we can finally see Fozzie from TMS and the first three movies again, and Gonzo getting a large role was good, and I'm sorry all you Walter fans, but I was kind of glad he was not a main character, because well I want to see more of Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo, and I am glad this new series will center on them. While viewing the pilot I did cringe at the TMZ and selfie stuff, probably my only complaint though, otherwise, I can not wait for the first episode of the show.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
OK, fortunately I'm a minority here but I really didn't like or dislike the pitch - it was a huge "meh" for me, with a huge dollop of Deja-vous.

Now before you all linch me (and please don't), I think I know what the problem is. Firstly, I'm really tired of the Piggy won't do the show schtick, it's gotten really, really tired and done to death. Can't the writers give her more depth and interesting things to do?? I'm also really bored with the Muppets not knowing each others names - again, it's past it's sell-by date. Who exactly is this amusing to??

This show feels like a re-re-introduction to the Muppets yet also seems aimed at the fans, so as the fans we are having to see the same stuff again for people to catch up, which is surely not necessary for a property that has been around for 35 years! Go back and look at the back catalogue people!!

Also, when did Statler and Waldorf stop being funny?? As time goes on, everyone's favourite "old men from the balcony" don't seem to have the biting wit they once had and, dare I say it, just make lame, non-funny comments all the time. For years I have found myself waiting to laugh at what they say and left disappointed.

I'm also slightly concerned with the über-contemporaryness(??) of it all. With all the cultural references crammed into this short clip I sincerely doubt this will be as timeless as The Muppet Show (though the actual guests date that as there are fewer and fewer still with us - watch out Sly!) and I want the Muppets to finally stay in the spotlight which they deserve.

Finally, and coming solely from my creative side, I HATE the font usage. It' lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy, LAZY!!! This could have been a great opportunity to get away from that bløødy awful logo created for "The Muppets", but I feel it's somehow worse!!! It's just a blatant ripoff of The Office...not "homage", rip of...and LAZY!! The Muppets deserve more.

Anyhoot, I am far from writing this show off and from the looks of everyone else's comments it seems like its found it's audience. I just feel that there is a whole lot of nostalgic love for the Muppets and the media in general seem to be constantly poised to welcome the Muppets back into the limelight and all I want to see is everyones patience rewarded with the best possible post-Jim Muppets material there is. I think MMW was one of the most enjoyable Muppet productions to date since the world lost Jim Henson and I'd like to see more of the irreverent humour, more anarchic wit and way more absurdity!! Not re-hash material that the fans have seen before, not re-heated jokes, just brand new awesome Muppet material. With the characters they have, the writers already have gold to be mined!!

Hopefully, come September, these trivial concerns will be laid to rest.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I'm just glad we'll get to see more of uncle deadly and the band! I so miss the band not having bigger roles. I just hope the band isn't reduced to drug addiction jokes and weird stuff like that. Yeah we get it, they probably smoke weed. Ha ha... find some new material.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
They can't not bring back Emily Bear in the show. I bet there'll be an episode where Emily meets Becky (Fozzie's girlfriend) and embarasses Fozzie.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I love it when the Muppet Newsman appears out of nowhere, and states exactly what Kermit had just said, and then adds "In another related story, my shoes are filled with caviar!!!!!!" (newsman then walks offscreen to the left, and you hear some weird squishy sound) LOVED IT!!!!!!