Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Pitch Reel

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Such and such obscure character wasn't in it" is not and never will be a valid negative point. Chip's cameo is the show's way of saying "yes, we know there's a bunch of characters that exist. They'll get their turns at some point."

You can't expect them to shove every possible Muppet into a 10-minute pitch video. I think it gave enough focus to the four main characters (Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Gonzo) while giving the more recognizable characters at least one line each.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Can I just say that I'm happy that the pitch tape has absolutely no dislikes?!

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
David Rudman is credited for playing a character called Satay. I didn't see any new characters in the pilot. Anyone know who Satay is?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
David Rudman is credited for playing a character called Satay. I didn't see any new characters in the pilot. Anyone know who Satay is?
I wanna say it's the brownish-red creature behind Chip (who we have on the Wiki as "Cynthia Rose" because of the Prince song). "Satay" might be the official puppet's name.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
So we still don't know who performs Denise. She doesn't get much dialogue (I was hoping we'd get to know her a little more in the pilot), and the credits don't even say who performed her (while listing who performed almost everyone else... It points out Matt Vogel performed Robin, who I don't remember spotting at all, and mentions "Sanjay" as one of David Rudman's characters... Not sure who that is... and the credits even say who performed "Yellow Happy Creature" who doesn't even get any lines, and does list Chip by name).

This pilot was great.
Someone on Facebook who has Muppeteer friends says they got the info that Julianne Buescher played Denise.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Wow that was great! The characters really mesh well with the mockumentary format. Can't wait to see what's in store for the actual show!!

Last edited:

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
The only bad thing I can think about, and I sort of suspected this from the trailers, is that Lips isn't in this, not at the meeting or with The Electric Mayhem (well maybe he was in another room). He's been used a fair bit in recent years, and it's been said that Steve Whitmire is now comfortable with giving him a voice, yet since figuring the character out he hasn't gotten any opportunities to let him talk.

Oh yeah, and the lack of Thog. He was rebuilt in 2011, yet his only appearances since have been in the last two movies (I'm sure he'll appear on the show at some point).

So yeah, my only complaints so far is "[insert certain obscure characters here] are not in it" and Denise not really doing much yet (maybe they're still trying to find a personality for her).

I had wondered if the "new Muppet show" mentioned in this pilot was the new show or the show-within-a-show, and while it's still not clear, I feel like they are referring to the real show as opposed to Late Night with Miss Piggy.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed too. I was happy to see Janice in the meeting!

Drtooth

Reaction score
"Such and such obscure character wasn't in it" is not and never will be a valid negative point. Chip's cameo is the show's way of saying "yes, we know there's a bunch of characters that exist. They'll get their turns at some point."

You can't expect them to shove every possible Muppet into a 10-minute pitch video. I think it gave enough focus to the four main characters (Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Gonzo) while giving the more recognizable characters at least one line each.
Lips may be a fan favorite and all, but he's only been with the band, like, what... last season of the show, GMC, the Walt Disney World special and then in MMW? Don't see why it's a huge disappointment when we haven't had the band period in the longest time. Chip's clearly there as an inside joke nod. A very inside inside joke that I hope they carry over to the series proper. As long as the show's about the main cast, I'm happy.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Words fail me as to how excited I am for the show after seeing this. I loved seeing the characters' interactions, and the little details like Fozzie's goofy picture on Kermit's phone and Kermit's expression after the Newsman gave his brief. I'm eager to see the show premiere in September.

One interesting point: it's interesting how young Fozzie's girlfriend is. I always thought of him as in his thirties (as much as you can age Muppets), and it seems like they're playing him a bit younger. Either that or I'm just really bad at guessing people's ages.