What if the Trash Heap communicated with Gorgs and Doozers?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking about "The Great Radish Famine", where Marjourie the Trash Heap magically takes away the radishes because the Fraggles, Gorgs, and Doozers are all in conflict with each other (never mind the fact that the Gorgs and Doozers hadn't been aware of each other before this episode, and would rarely be in contact afterwards). When she hears that a Fraggle, Doozer, and Gorg were all together,she imagines perfect harmony, and after hearing otherwise, decides that it's a start.

Of course, the Fraggles are the only ones to be friends with the Trash Heap (not counting the time Junior got advice from Marjourie after being shrunk to Fraggle-size in The Gorg Who Would Be King). But considering how much she wanted the three species to be friends, I've been thinking... Wouldn't it have been great if she regularly DID give advice to the Gorgs and Doozers as often as she did the Fraggles? Of course that might mean less conflict between the Fraggles and Gorgs, but it would be a great idea.

Of course, she could routinely give advice and be friends with all three species, with none of them being as close as the Fraggles were with the Trash Heap, maybe unaware or uninterested in ending conflicts. With that in mind, it might be hard for episodes like "The Great Radish Famine" to be done (and if the Gorgs were aware that there was a talking trash heap, and were friends with it, then the plot of "The Trash Heap Doesn't Live Here Anymore" wouldn't happen).

Iscah

Reaction score
The problem with communicating would be in making first contact. The Doozers don't seem to ever come up to the surface, and the Gorgs - well, I guess Marjory could just talk to them but I don't think they'd react very sensibly. (She'd be pretty small by their scale, and they'd think she's some kind of monster.) And/or perhaps they need some level of open-mindedness before they can even hear her - Junior might be the only one able to do so (and not even until late in the series when he's matured a bit).

It's one of the things I could see happening post-series, since the three races are in contact, Junior is aware of her and the Fraggles can introduce the Doozers. She might be a bit terrifying for some of them though - she'd be like a talking mountain....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get the impression the Doozers wouldn't really be interested in the Trashheap's kind of advice anyway. They're the types that want straight answers. They'd give up on the Trashheap's riddles pretty quickly. But then again, maybe the Trashheap would be aware of this and plan accordingly.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I still think it's kind of odd that in The Great Radish Famine she's so concerned about the conflict between the three species, without really thinking of the consequences (even if it is part of the point). She does seem to have the kind of knowledge that the others don't have, particularly with outer space. And there's the fact that she took away the radishes without informing anybody on why (she did tell Mokey after she seeked the Trash Heap for advice).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And there's the fact that she took away the radishes without informing anybody on why (she did tell Mokey after she seeked the Trash Heap for advice).
Well she thought if she took the radishes away that it would then become obvious to the Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs that radishes were something they had in common. She was desperately trying to remain idealistic.

Iscah

Reaction score
She's also not-quite-so-"all-knowing" in the earlier episodes. Some of her 'advice' is accidental and the Fraggles (and maybe the rats) only believe she's a true oracle. (At least that's how I remember it, I've only watched through the series twice.) Not sure when it shifted exactly, but by "The Beast of Blue Rock" she has significant powers.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
She's also not-quite-so-"all-knowing" in the earlier episodes. Some of her 'advice' is accidental and the Fraggles (and maybe the rats) only believe she's a true oracle. (At least that's how I remember it, I've only watched through the series twice.) Not sure when it shifted exactly, but by "The Beast of Blue Rock" she has significant powers.
I took it as she's like Yoda. She's trying to demonstrate that a wise sage can come in bizarre, unexpected forms, and doesn't need to show off flashy powers until it's necessary.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well she thought if she took the radishes away that it would then become obvious to the Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs that radishes were something they had in common. She was desperately trying to remain idealistic.
Of course, the Fraggles didn't know that radishes were the main ingrediant for Doozer sticks (this episode was the first time it was mentioned, and the Fraggles still wouldn't know until three episodes before the show ended) or why the Gorgs needed radishes (and this is the only episode to show why).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course, the Fraggles didn't know that radishes were the main ingrediant for Doozer sticks (this episode was the first time it was mentioned, and the Fraggles still wouldn't know until three episodes before the show ended) or why the Gorgs needed radishes (and this is the only episode to show why).
That's another thing. I think the fact that all three species use the radishes is something so obvious to her, being the all knowing Trashheap, that it doesn't occur to her that the Fraggles wouldn't be aware of it. That's the impression I got anyway.