HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I'll agree that The Goode Family hit its stride just before it got the axe. If those earlier episodes found their voice, it would be different. I think the show's real problem was the transition of long lasting, well established characters from KOTH to new characters that were supposed to be different but the same, but mirror universe the same. Or something like that. Not quite expies, not quite completely alternate versions of the characters. I really liked the episode where they were banned from Whole Foods and had to go where the lower class shopped. I think with time, the show could have been something, but it was on the wrong network. One that wasn't exactly too nice to cartoon shows and puppet sitcoms before. Still, the show itself always had an "almost ready" feel. Had it been forced to another year of development and a cable channel picking it up, it would have been a much better, stronger show with a bigger fanbase.

I'd compare it to American Dad. The show got better when it wasn't all about Stan being a Strawman Republican and they went on wacky, well written adventures while Family Guy was botching the heck out of every political statement. Not saying that mocking liberals was the Goode Family's problem, that was a genuine angle. Just the fact it was essentially all what the main family was about instead of just an aspect of them. Which is what KOTH was. In fact, KOTH was essentially a loving tribute to pople they knew from that area. The Goode Family lacked that. At least in the episodes they aired.

As for Futurama, as much as 2002 me would hate for me to say this, the unjust cancellation worked in its favor. Not to the extent of Family Guy, but the fact that it was fresher and stronger a show than the weak episodes of the Simpsons that were airing at the time. Fun fact: The last episode of Futurama to air on Fox was followed by a broadcast of one of the worst Simpsons episodes I've ever seen! Meanwhile, Futurama got a huge cult following because it was cancelled and better than The Simpsons (at the time), and the fanbase grew as a result, almost in spite of the show's cancellation. Then it came back. Slowly. Much slower than FG. I'm sure that if Fox really gave it a chance it would have been successful on its own, but more fans jumped on the show as a result of [as] reruns. Heck, it's been cancelled for good this time and you still see merchandise and stuff coming out. That's how much love it got. And we can thank the fact that it got screwed as a result.

Too bad that love didn't exactly follow The Critic, though. Those webisodes were meh, but appreciated. Just not as great as the show was.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote here! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure given enough time, the show would have came into its own. Some shows have very weak first seasons anyway, and they don't hit their stride until sometime around the second. Of course, there are shows that start out too strong and manage to get weaker the longer they're on too. Not to mention that animated comedies are better left to cable or Fox. I'm nothing but happy that Fox keeps giving Bob's Burgers a chance, because it's a cult hit. Frankly better than their other two cartoons at the moment. But ABC pretty much didn't care about The Critic when they had it. Capital Critters was pretty much dumped to a death slot as soon as it possibly could. There have been so many misfires since other networks wanted their own personal The Simpsons since the 90's. Some were actually good, some just couldn't go beyond their premise to become anything lasting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Apparently, rotten cartoon series Brickleberry's been cancelled. I've never seen it, nor do I have the desire to, but it's pretty much one of the most hated cartoons out there. From those who trashed it, it seems it was only on because Comedy Central loooooves Daniel Tosh. Totally can understand that. Dude's not funny. And it sounds like this is one of those adult cartoons where there's nothing but tired offensive "jokes" and no substance. No Prude. I enjoy a good offensive joke now and then, but like every adult cartoon played as many offensive jokes as possible back in the last decade that they're no longer shocking or taboo enough to be funny. They're pretty tired. That's why Rick and Morty's such a sleeper hit. It tempers its vulgar humor with character development, well done commentary, sharp writing, and shockingly deep moments. Otherwise, you're just a five year old at a playground yelling "POOP!! teee hee hee."

And another note, what the frag is up with NBC's "The Slap?" The big, powerful, dramatic miniseries about someone seeing someone slap a child? I'm no fan of child abuse/violent disciplining, but a whole series to anviliciously point out how terrible hitting a kid is when The Simpsons has been playing strangling Bart for laughs for years and still is? That's kind of a strange thing to take seriously and wrap my head around. And Zachary Quinto somehow signed on to that, but refused to go on the new Heroes revival. Sure, I can't really blame him for distancing himself from that, even though he was the best character in the show. But to sign on to the dumbest sounding dramatic miniseries I've ever freaking heard of? Really?!?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And it sounds like this is one of those adult cartoons where there's nothing but tired offensive "jokes" and no substance.
Ah, so it's like every cartoon Seth MacFarlane has ever cranked out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, so it's like every cartoon Seth MacFarlane has ever cranked out.
No. Not even that high bar. Something a really untalented college kid could fart out. Family Guy at least started out as something, and American Dad became something. Brickleberry was just "let's give Daniel Tosh even more money." Yeah, I didn't actually see it, but I haven't heard anything remotely positive about it.

Of course, I still think the worst adult's cartoon show out there is Stone Quackers. Just awful and ugly and abominable on every level. And they roped John C Reily into it for some reason. From what I heard, it's by the same guys behind Problem Solverz.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, David Alan Greer is getting a new show this fall.

Too bad all modern television sucks, otherwise I'd check it out as I've been a fan of his since I was a kid.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ah, David Alan Greer is getting a new show this fall.

Too bad all modern television sucks, otherwise I'd check it out as I've been a fan of his since I was a kid.
Why not give it a chance? Worst thing that happens is you lose out on 30 minutes of your life if the first episode stinks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, there's nothing new (Muppets side, but that goes without saying) on the fall schedule on broadcast TV that excites me. ABC's returning favorites, sure. I'm highly excited for those sitcoms and SHIELD and the return of Agent Carter. But the previews I'm seeing are more of the same. I'm very happy with the shows that were cancelled this season (minus The Millers which CBS screwed because their pwecious Scorpion was losing ratings, as if we need another 30 year old hackers fighting terrorism show). Unlike last year where everything was a sad disappointment, and decisions were made on cheapness.

I hate to be the "I have cable and can watch 'Better Call Saul'" elitist (and I'm on pins and freaking needles on that), but broadcast still has to get a mainstreamer audience.

That said, I couldn't be less excited about Supergirl. I never understood the appeal of "make a girl version of man hero" instead of making an original female super hero. I hate Batgirl. Every time she pops up in a Batman series or it's terrible... maybe not Batman:TAS, but certainly The Batman, the awful third season of the '66 show (where it stopped being purposely so bad it's good and became so bad it's actually bad), and need I mention her theatrical debut? Even those who find Batman Forever as a disappointing but forgivable follow up to "Returns" have no patience for that one.

Plus, Dean Cain is in it. I don't care if he was Superman before, he's a terrible person.

EDIT: I just forgot the most important news of all time. American Idol finally got cancelled after years of no one giving a rat's fez. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
First off, can we get the Mods to rename this the "Schadenfreude for cancelled shows Thread" or something?

Secondly, I found some news that, I have to admit I was mixed about. Apparently, with no fan fare and having it just disappear from the network before the final episodes even air, Mike and Molly ends in its abbreviated sixth season. Now, while Chuck Lorre usually gets a lot of crap for his shows, I have to admit Mike and Molly was one of the best shows he was associated with (and I actually like Big Bang Theory). I had real trouble with the first few episodes and the first episode even did the "fat people are all cannibals" joke. I'm not in good shape and I barely feel great about eating the most banal of societally acceptable forms of meat (not enough to become vegan, I have a very weak will). But I felt the idea of a show about not sexy not 20 year olds who actually want a real relationship and following the stages of said relationship was something unique and enjoyable enough as a series. Something about the series had a more classic, gentle feel to it than most current laugh track style sitcoms. Plus, I loved that sarcastic African cook, as well as Mike's partner, and even the middle aged guy who was in a relationship with Molly's mother grew on me.

However, I feel the characters were married off too soon, and that kinda hurt the "let's explore the relationship" aspect of the show. I would have hated if it went the Rhoda route and just have them divorce halfway through. While I did lose some interest, the fact it was also opposite Gotham the last season made me not catch up on it. I find Gotham to be decent enough to see it through, and I do like the guy playing The Penguin. Then they dumped it on Wednesday Night, opposite ABC's stronger sitcoms for SuperGirl's time slot. Though I have to roll my eyes at the decision to air a DC comics show opposite another DC comics show, maybe I should give SG a go one of these days. Looks better than I thought it did. And of course "Scorpion" which, blehhhh. I just don't get it. I don't see why CBS loves the show so much to kill a perfectly good Will Arnett and JB Smoove sitcom in its second season because it wasn't a good enough lead in for another "hackers fight terrorists" show. But the point I'm making is, M&M didn't make it interesting enough to keep the show in the viewers interests and it just faded off like it never happened.