Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems that TMNT Has been renewed for a fifth season Even though it sounds like it's the upcoming one (which is only the fourth).

But it looks like we're finally getting into the Turtles comic book space adventures. The Fugitoid and the Triceritons are mentioned (and being played by David Tennant and Michael Dorn respectively), and it looks like we're going to see an interesting take on Lord Dregg and an obscure as heck mutant shark I swear was only in a video game.

OH! And Mona Lisa makes a huge comeback as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the new writers can do with Dregg. He was such a waste of Tony Jay in the original series, coming across as a more menacing substitute for Shredder during the ultimately forgettable "Red Sky" era.

And Mona Lisa was another character who was woefully underused. I liked her quirky personality there, and I hope that some of that will rub off on the new version of the character.

I'd love for Usagi Yojimbo to come back, too. That and the Neutrinos.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Usagi would all have to depend on how nice Nick is to Stan Sakai. It would be a shame if this was the first animated series to not feature him in any way (especially with the stellar job they did in the 2003 series). There was a rumor that Flaming Carrot was supposed to appear. Nothing came out of that yet.

It would be interesting to see what the new writers can do with Dregg. He was such a waste of Tony Jay in the original series, coming across as a more menacing substitute for Shredder during the ultimately forgettable "Red Sky" era.
I swear. That red sky season. They started it off right making Shredder a credible threat, only to burn bridges with imbecilic concepts and flat characters. It really sounds to me that the writers knew that after season 9, they'd get the axe so they wanted to ruin the show as best they could to make it hard for the new guy. It's a shame that all that was done with Lord Dregg was to create a humorless, generic villain.

But when it comes down to it, much as I loved the original cartoon, it feels that often times they dropped the ball on potential. Multiple fan favorite characters like Mona Lisa, Mondo Gecko, and Casey Jones either appeared once or a handful of times. And some of the characters they just did poorly with and introduced them in terrible plots to sell toys. Look at what they did to Ray Fillet/Manray and worse, Wingnut and Screwloose. Luckily, Archie's sort of in universe comic managed to make a better use of them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... at SDCC, Nick showed a recap of season 3. Thing is, Season 3 isn't over yet. So there's a couple reveals that we're still waiting for.

Okay... there's an episode coming up called "Turtles in Time" which has yet to be scheduled. Looking at those clips, it's going to feature 2 original comics characters who got their animated debut in the last series. Renet the Time Mistress and Savanti Romero. Still, you gotta wonder if they actually knew the show's been off since The Deadly Venom. I know new Sanjay and Craig and Harvey Beaks episodes are expected tomorrow, just not when the heck TMNT comes back.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I apologize if this is completely and totally off topic but, TMNT 2k3 is being broadcast really late at night on the Nicktoons Network and, I'm loving every second of it!

Now, speaking of SDCC, I saw the footage of The Fugitoid in the 2k12 verse and well, I'd be lying if it didn't freak me out and I didn't send it to my best friend as 'TMNT based nightmare fuel'.

I loved The Fugitoid in the 2k3 series and, while Fugitoid was also in the game TMNT Smash Up (which was based around the 2k7 movie with the 2k3 voice actors y'know, providing the voices), the 2k12 Fugitoid scares the living turtle wax out of me!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hope they hold onto that series and run the whole thing. Even Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers, as shark jumpy as they are. They marathoned the series over Christmas and only got up as far as the Battle Nexus. I'd be a LOT happier if they just released these in season by season box sets on DVD, but they aren't. They're rereleasing the same 3 episode DVD's that were available when the show first came out. It's a shame they didn't sit back and let SHOUT do all the work.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I'd be a LOT happier if they just released these in season by season box sets on DVD, but they aren't. They're rereleasing the same 3 episode DVD's that were available when the show first came out. It's a shame they didn't sit back and let SHOUT do all the work.
YES!!! Thank you, you understand EXACTLY how I feel!!!

Nick would be able to do it much neater in terms of DVD releases but, nooooooo. They're gonna do whatever they feel like -_-

But, honestly just even seeing Nick broadcast TMNT 2k3 made me so happy ^^

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something tells me they'd run the 80's show if they could, but while they own everything essentially about the show (character designs, theme song...you name it), they can't get the rights to the show itself. Wolf Films still owns it, and I bet Lionsgate is stubbornly sitting on the rights as well. But the 2k3 series? They totally own that. Yet, other than broadcasting, they don't really seem to acknowledge its existence. No T-shirts, you see.

They also seem to be showing all the movies except for the first (good) one and the recent one (obviously because it hasn't entered the 3+ year mark movies have to make before they hit cable). Still baffled as to why they skipped the first one (the promos suggest only the second and third films plus the CGI one that was pretty good). It's clearly the best comic book based movie of that decade. Then again, the competition is...well... let's just say TMNT took that low budget in stride, and it actually made the film more grounded.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about earlier: Two of the video games based on the 2003 series include the arcade games as unlockable bonuses... Is there a reason they could only include the arcade games as bonuses? Could they have included home console games (well the NES version of the first arcade game has product placement for Pizza Hut)?

And I believe that all of the TMNT video games, for both the classic and 2003 series, were made by the same company. So if the same company has had video game rights all these years, it's a shame they haven't released a TMNT games compilation.

Of course, I'm not sure whether the recent games to come out after Nickelodeon bought the rights are from the same company as before.

mr3urious

Reaction score
We may have known about the origins of Splinter and Shredder in past episodes, but "Tale of the Yokai" is the first time the Turtles got to see those events unfold. And had to save their own future along with it.