Special Preview of The Muppets 2015 TV Show

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to watching the whole Comic Con presentation, but early on, Bill Prady says that they can't legally broadcast the first episode and although they screened it at Comic Con claimed that they couldn't even legally show it there (though they did), claiming that the Comic Con audience was the only people who would ever see it.

I hope he was joking. I kind of feel like he was, considering the pilot was available for screening in select cities. I was really hoping that it would become a bonus feature on the season one DVD. I had wondered whether the plot would be expanded and they'd incorporate footage from the pilot (if they did, I guess they'd reshoot the scenes with Denise since she's getting rebuilt).

After all, clips from the pilot have been used in the trailer, which has not just been shown online but in TV commercials. Wouldn't they expect casual fans to see the clips in commercials and wonder why they aren't seeing them on the actual show (or maybe they expect people to search online if the pilot is leaked)?
Bill said that the 10 minute pitch presentation they filmed wasn't the actual show, it was just what was shown to ABC to get them to green light it. I mean they might use some of the jokes, and obviously some of the same concepts but yeah.

I hope to see it on the season 1 dvd though!

muppetlover123

Reaction score
So I heard that somebody at Tough Pigs saw the pilot, so if there's anybody here who has seen it, can anybody tell me who performed Denise? We don't hear her voice in the previews.

Sorry to double post but yeah I want to know who preforms Denise

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I suspect the "ban on broadcasting" might not extend to live screenings. Potentially that could mean it can be included on a physical DVD, but not shown on TV or streaming Internet. I don't know where the dividing line is.
Hopefully it can be on DVD, though it would be shocking if something cleared for DVD couldn't be cleared for television broadcast, it's not often you hear about something like that (though I have read that all the music cleared for the DVD releases of WKRP in Cincinnati were only cleared for the DVDs and not future reruns).

But if it wasn't cleared for anything except to show ABC executives (and public screenings), then it is sad that that could be the case in the DVD era, where planning the DVDs comes before the seasons begin. Reminds me of a long time ago, when I found out that Sesame Workshop didn't even have any info on who played Gordon in the test pilots, I wondered how they could release one pilot on DVD (and show clips with that Gordon in documentaries) if they didn't know who to send the residuals to, but then I was told that back then, when pilots were made, the cast and crew only got paid once, without getting residuals until the show became a full series. Maybe things regarding "pilot pay" has changed since. Of course this gets me wondering, if Sesame Workshop doesn't have to pay residuals for anything from the pilots, does that also apply to any clips featured in the pilots that appear on the show and other DVD releases?

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I suspect the "ban on broadcasting" might not extend to live screenings. Potentially that could mean it can be included on a physical DVD, but not shown on TV or streaming Internet. I don't know where the dividing line is.
I could be wrong but Isn't the Pilot Episode Airing this fall on ABC as the first episode of the Muppets series?

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I could be wrong but Isn't the Pilot Episode Airing this fall on ABC as the first episode of the Muppets series?
No that was just the pitch they were using to get ABC to green light it. They are filming the episodes right now as we speak

dwayne1115

Reaction score
No that was just the pitch they were using to get ABC to green light it. They are filming the episodes right now as we speak
Wow that is exciting to think about that they are really filming the show right now! I still can't believe this is happening.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Do you have a Legit article with a Quote and Link if posible? I have been Watching TV roughly all my Life I was born June 5 1981 and whenever I have seen a new Show They always show the Pilot First then the Proceeding episodes that come after, There has never been an Exception to this Rule And I watch A lot of TV ....

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Do you have a Legit article with a Quote and Link if posible? I have been Watching TV roughly all my Life I was born June 5 1981 and whenever I have seen a new Show They always show the Pilot First then the Proceeding episodes that come after, There has never been an Exception to this Rule And I watch A lot of TV ....
I don't think you need an article. They have said in multiple interviews (mainly the comic con panel) that this was a short film to pitch the idea, and that due to legal reasons, would never be aired on TV

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a lot of pilots that either never aired (the Three's Company pilots, the Sesame Street test pilots, Rugrats) or aired later in broadcast order (The Jim Henson Hour, The Bob Newhart Show, Fraggle Rock, Doug).

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
There's a lot of pilots that either never aired (the Three's Company pilots, the Sesame Street test pilots, Rugrats) or aired later in broadcast order (The Jim Henson Hour, The Bob Newhart Show, Fraggle Rock, Doug).
Well Like I said I have been Watching TV since the 80's And I watch A ton of TV and I have never heard of a show that was picked up for season 1 that did not Air It's Pilot, ever hear of an Episode called Space Pilot 3,000, or How about Simpson's Roastings On An Open Fire, two of the best Pilot Episodes ever IMHO I can probably come up with thousands if not Millions more.

All A pilot really Is, Is a shows first episode In some cases That one show Is aired and based on the strength of the ratings they base weather to Pick up the show, the network that is.