The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Diamanda Hagan is a woman. Just thought I'd say that, since I don't think anyone else has.
that post was from last year and looking back...i have no idea why i even wrote that post

its also kinda offensive regardless

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I just discovered another NC-knock-off character on YT: Nostalgia Christian. No foolin'. He reviews Christmas media and tries to hold it up to the same standard other media is held up to. He kinda looks like if Oscarfan tried cosplaying as the Critic, and kinda sounds like a slightly whiney version of John Cusack.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was watching one of the very earliest NC episodes today, and it reminded me of that apartment I lived in years ago where my room was upstairs, almost like an attic bedroom though it wasn't an attic at all: and it had very poor air conditioning that I had to keep the lights low, and my portable A.C. whirring in the background to try and keep the heat down up there. Watching early NC, and hearing his air conditioning whirring in the background and seeing how the low-quality video tape gives us a dim picture (kinda like my early Steve episodes), it really took me back.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was watching the review of GORDY, and while he gets some of the details wrong (as he does in most of his reviews), but he brought up something that really does seem odd: at one point in the movie, Sipes hires a couple of thugs to kidnap Gordy. Now, Hanky and Gordy give them the slip and in order to cover up their butts, they inform Sipes that they have them, "All locked up in the trunk," adding they had to snatch Hanky as well because he wouldn't let go of Gordy. Now, what sense does that make? All they had to do was snatch Gordy, they didn't need to kidnap Hanky at all, so why would they lie about that and get themselves into deeper trouble? I mean, yeah, lying about kidnapping Gordy would temporarily cover themselves up, but lying about also kidnapping Hanky is just bringing more trouble on themselves than they need to.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Sadly quite a few of his reviews are getting taken down, which I think is lame and doesn't make sense really.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Considering his reviews use copyrighted clips that he doesn't have permission to use, it kind of does make sense. This is how he got terminated from YouTube to begin with way back when, which is why he eventually launched the TGWTG website, so he could have somewhere to host his reviews without them being removed.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
True enough on that. But I figured the clips would be ok, since he's doing an actual review, like under the "fair use" thing. He isn't showing the whole movie or anything like that, but I don't know.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, these big media corporations like Viacom, Disney, Fox, and others like to pretend that Fair Use doesn't exist - even if you claim Fair Use, or something genuinely falls under Fair Use, chances are it'll still be nuked anyway. I've lost a few of my YouTube Poops to copyright strikes from Universal, Viacom, and Fox.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Will I still enjoy Osmosis Jones for its universe, main villain, and animation, I will agree that it has an inconsistent tone. We have the cold, murderous Thrax in the animated parts, yet scenes of projectile vomiting & exploding zits in the live-action ones. That's why I find the Ozzy & Drix sequel series to be superior overall; it knows what it wants to be.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I blame the Farrely Brothers for that one. I do like how it had that synch between gross things happening outside being necessary functions of the body. But there could have been a better balance with the live action segments. They really had potential to talk about why the mother died instead of mentioning it passing and spending the rest of the time showing Bill Murray's character as being gross. A lot of the movie is brilliant, actually... the Brain being a mayor, and that mayor being a careless, corrupt politician that acts as Frank's Id. It really seems this film is one of those "could have been better if it was in better hands" deals. But yeah, the animated segments that was a buddy cop movie parody with the added fictitious (but not too fictitious) workings of the human body? Those were a million times better than the "let's be as crude and stupid with out humor as possible" Farrely schtick. Still, Murray and Elliot acted the crap out of those lousy scenes.

But yeah. The cartoon did much better when it came to the same themes. Delved deeper and was funnier, too. Yet another better cartoon than movie situation.