List of Changed Channels

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I remember most of these networks. I really miss Toon Disney and Fox Family the most. As a kid, I occasionally watched Toon Disney and enjoyed it, and I watched the latter channel's preschool block at the age of two months.
It's the same sort of thing, anyway... cheap to produce programs to keep their FCC license while paying lipservice to the TV/EI standards.

Of course, I really hated what ABC Kids became before it turned into Litton's anyway. They just kept rerunning the same 12 episodes of Emperor's New School and The Replacements over and over for at least 4 years. Never even touching the rest of the first season of both shows, let alone the second. Like I said before somewhere else, this was the brainchild of the incompetent moron who was the head of ABC Daytime. The one that replaced One Life to Live with The Revolution. Otherwise known as the show no one wanted.

Not a fan of Litton polluting CBS either, but considering their line up consisted of Busytown Mysteries and Doodlebops Roadshow (just what no one was asking for), it seems like a lateral move, if anything.

(Seriously... Cookie freaking Jar. Oh, we can't produce that amazing new edgy Inspector Gadget series, but we can make a cheap flash cartoon about a kid's band that was never popular from 10 years back that still sucks. So glad DHX owns them now)
I grew up with Kewlopolis and qubo, and I found them good. I mean, who doesn't like seeing VeggieTales on TV? I loved it so much that I tried to catch it every weekend. For me as a kid, the E/I requirement gave me some of my favorite childhood shows. And the rule did bring one great memory for me-when they once payed qubo on a weekday during President's Day break because of a sports pre-emption, and they went nuts and aired an hour each of VeggieTales and 3-2-1 Penguins. To me as a child, qubo and Kewlpolis were the best things ever! But now looking at the newer E/I programs, they are boring. They should syndicate good E/I shows and not bad ones. I would recommend them syndicating animated shows like MLPFiM to fulfill it. Heck, even older educational shows that appeal to older audiences such as Mumfie and Beakman will do!
Speaking of which...
Dang, I forgot all about The Hub (which was a perfectly good, albeit short-lived) going bye-bye... and I see they're playing Christian programming right now.
To me, The Hub was the Fox Family of this generation. The companies behind them wanted a channel to join the ranks of the Big 3 children's channels, but failed miserably (well, maybe except My Little Pony). I dearly miss it, and have many good memories of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In addition to MeTV, we have another new channel that seems to be picking up where TV Land has left off called FamilyNet; they seem to essentially be playing the shows that MeTV doesn't, such as BEWITCHED, I DREAM OF JEANNIE, SANFORD AND SON, ALL IN THE FAMILY, GOOD TIMES, and others. It's a pretty good channel, though the prints they have of some of these shows look pretty poor (and they show colorized versions of black-and-white shows and seasons, but then again, we're apparently not allowed to show our kids black-and-white today).

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are a lot of these classic TV show channels and I appreciate their lines ups to an extent. But I really want to see more variety. Antenna TV showed Newhart at one point at like 10 PM, then it stopped. Not saying we should get into the late 90's, but I want to see more 1980's sitcoms in the mix here. Why the heck doesn't any of these networks run ALF? Hub doesn't do it anymore, and sure you can see the same crappy DVD cut prints on hulu.

I like Me and all, but I'd say it's the least variety of all these channels. There are too many cowboy shows (they did alleviate that a little on weekdays), and for some reason they're showing Saved by the Bell outside of a TV EI requirement (and it should be their soul TV/EI... Green Screen Adventures is garbage and only their for lipservice).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There are a lot of these classic TV show channels and I appreciate their lines ups to an extent. But I really want to see more variety.
Same here. There's a number of shows that I haven't seen too much of that I would really like to see again sometime. I remember TV Land had MISTER ED for like a year before they dumped it, that was a good show. THE MUNSTERS has almost turned into something of a Halloween gimmick show . . . I really should have grabbed the DVD set when it came out. MeTV even had a rarity last summer with THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW, which was essentially a rehash of I LOVE LUCY: imagine if Fred and Ethel had a daughter who married Little Ricky, and Lucy and Ethel wouldn't stop meddling in their lives to Ricky and Fred's annoyance, there you go (and it was produced by Desi Arnaz and written by LUCY writers, so that makes sense). MeTV had the original ODD COUPLE for a while, I really got into that show, but they've dropped it recently, so I ordered some of the DVD sets (thankfully, Season One has a nice array of special features).
I like Me and all, but I'd say it's the least variety of all these channels. There are too many cowboy shows (they did alleviate that a little on weekdays).
That's how TV Land used to be: it was like from noon to 3:00 or so, GUNSMOKE, BONANZA, whatever they had.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me's on it's summer schedule. That's always a mixed bag. On the plus side, Laverne and Shirley Wednesdays. I have too much of a Robin Williams bias to say that's my favorite Happy Days spinoff, but if it wasn't for that sure as Shirley it's my favorite spinoff. Think I even like it more than Happy Days.

I know Antenna TV has Mr. Ed in the morning. Best of luck to you if you even have that. I'm glad that more digital channels are popping up with sticom reruns. We just got something called LAFF that shows The Drew Carey Show, Spin City and for some reason Empty Nest in the morning. The rest of the time they run movies which somehow are classified as comedies but usually aren't funny. And not in the "You call this funny?" sort of way. Just oddly dramatic films.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Me's on it's summer schedule. That's always a mixed bag. On the plus side, Laverne and Shirley Wednesdays. I have too much of a Robin Williams bias to say that's my favorite Happy Days spinoff, but if it wasn't for that sure as Shirley it's my favorite spinoff. Think I even like it more than Happy Days.

I know Antenna TV has Mr. Ed in the morning. Best of luck to you if you even have that. I'm glad that more digital channels are popping up with sticom reruns. We just got something called LAFF that shows The Drew Carey Show, Spin City and for some reason Empty Nest in the morning. The rest of the time they run movies which somehow are classified as comedies but usually aren't funny. And not in the "You call this funny?" sort of way. Just oddly dramatic films.
They also have the Bernie Mac Show a show that really never airs anywhere, there's another new channel as well called Buzzr which has a bunch of classic game shows, pretty cool.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I just got LAFF too and I can't think of a TV channel that has a worse batch of reruns. I saw Grace Under Fire the other day on there. Who in the world wants to watch that again? Can't wait until they start airing Major Dad and 227 reruns.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't have Antenna TV, or LAFF, but we did have a short-lived RTV (or something like that) that aired mostly obscure classics, such as THE BILL COSBY SHOW (Cosby's first sitcom that failed because it didn't have a laugh track). Then there's TV One that airs a number of classic black sitcoms like SANFORD AND SON, GOOD TIMES, THE JEFFERSONS, etc.

Speaking of which, Charlie, Encore Black has 227.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't have Antenna TV, or LAFF, but we did have a short-lived RTV (or something like that) that aired mostly obscure classics, such as THE BILL COSBY SHOW (Cosby's first sitcom that failed because it didn't have a laugh track). Then there's TV One that airs a number of classic black sitcoms like SANFORD AND SON, GOOD TIMES, THE JEFFERSONS, etc.

Speaking of which, Charlie, Encore Black has 227.
Thank goodness there's a channel out there with 227, lol. I'll have to come up with another sitcom for my bottom-of-the-barrel rerun joke.

I have a local FOX affiliate that airs Jeffersons reruns Sunday mornings at three AM. It's the oddest scheduling of a syndicated rerun I've ever seen, and I only found it because one day I was just scrolling through the TV listings out of boredom. Someone working the night shift at the station must really like George and Weezy and they bought reruns as a favor to them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have a local FOX affiliate that airs Jeffersons reruns Sunday mornings at three AM. It's the oddest scheduling of a syndicated rerun I've ever seen, and I only found it because one day I was just scrolling through the TV listings out of boredom. Someone working the night shift at the station must really like George and Weezy and they bought reruns as a favor to them.
My local NBC used to have the 12:30pm slot reserved fro reruns of I LOVE LUCY of the longest time, then sometime in the mid-to-late 2000s they swapped them out for the black-and-white seasons of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, before switching back to I LOVE LUCY up until last year when they decided since MeTV (which apparently is some kind of subsidiary of NBC, I'm assuming) airs I LOVE LUCY, they would drop it in favor expanding their noon newscast to a full hour . . . which is like . . . I mean, they already have a half-hour newscasts at 4:30am, 6:00pm, and 11:00pm, and hourlong newscasts at 5:00am, 6:00am, 4:00pm, and 5:00pm. How much news does one town need to cover?

That said, my local FOX had THE BULLWINKLE SHOW every morning at 6:30 for a year after the 2000 movie came out.