The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
The episode with Ronaldo complaining about how the Crystal Gems are causing all these disasters to happen was fun, especially with all the Windows Movie Maker effects on his videos. And I liked his paradoxical realization about how Beach City would no longer be weird without them.

On that note, this week's premier episodes are Regular Show. As happy as I am for that, where the heck is freaking Gumball!?!/ That episode where he wishes his parents away has been on my mind since it was announced. The entire world got it months before we did.
New RS episodes haven't been shown for a while, so CN might as well get those out of the way first. Gumball should follow next week.

Drtooth

Reaction score
New RS episodes haven't been shown for a while, so CN might as well get those out of the way first. Gumball should follow next week.
The thing about Gumball that bugs me is that the show wasn't even removed from rotation like all the other shows usually do when they stop showing new episodes. Heck, Gumball's apparently the most popular show on the network, so it really means something when they kept running it while refusing to show the last 4 episodes of the season. Yep. They put the show on one of their hiatuses four episodes before the season ended! Still don't get that logic. And I wouldn't mind, but two of the episodes are supposedly going to be dark (the one I mentioned and one where Richard blows the family's money again and everyone's mad at Gumball) and hearing about them makes me drool.

So, to get the required 5 episodes to run in a week, they had to wait until season 4 was finished. So best thing about this is we'd probably get season 4 before everyone else.

Also, they've been very cryptically advertising "We Bare Bears." Wonder when that's coming up.

Harleena

Reaction score
Those first two episodes this week were nice and all, but those last 3 were constant drama bomb drops.

Watching the Sword Fighting episode, I was hoping to see something about Pearl being jealous of Greg's love for Rose and I was rewarded with "We have to talk." Pearl's passive aggressiveness in the whole backstory was just delightful. Fusing to one up him? Calling him a novelty? Great stuff. Glad to see it happen.

Garnet being shaken to the core and being on the verge of breaking up at the sight of the forced fusions between pieces of dead gems? Oh yeah. Any episode where the most cool and collected gem loses it is great in my book. Love how Garnet basically said she's better as a fusion and that's why Ruby and Sapphire never appear much. Loved the whole concept of fusion as love. Seems she's the strongest believer in that, and why she's so passionate about fusion.

Then there was the dream episode that revealed Lapis struggling with Jasper. And now it's on break... nice way to end that part, but it leaves me wanting more.

On that note, this week's premier episodes are Regular Show. As happy as I am for that, where the heck is freaking Gumball!?!/ That episode where he wishes his parents away has been on my mind since it was announced. The entire world got it months before we did.
I totally agree with you on all three of the episodes. "We Need to Talk" featured an absolutely gorgeous fusion, jealous Pearl, a Greg and Rose kiss, Susan Egan's beautiful singing voice, and the hilarious line "Hey! Are you dead?" I love Past!Amethyst, she's so funny. "Keep it Together" was pretty scary but awesome at the same time. And "Chille Tid" had more Pearl/Rose implications, a funny throwback to old sitcoms, and the return of my two favorite gems, Lapis and Jasper! :big_grin: It was also really clever of the creators to use black-and-white for the sitcom scene, because not only is it a throwback to before color TV, the Crystal Gems with human skin colors is sure to cause a huge Tumblr uproar that will never end (I can hear the screaming now…).

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Hello fellow Steven Universe fans! I thought that very few people that I interacted with liked this show :') (only my boyfriend and my new roomie seemed to be into it lol and, I'm ahead of both of them)

So, I don't mind spoilers as I spend TONS of time on Tumblr but, so; Steven's healing spit...

I just watched that episode today and, whoa...

I know it was Steven just relaying the story to Connie but, I truly am kind of over here on the 'what in the world just happened' bus and am a bit taken aback. I'm happy that Steven is developing his powers but, why does he feel like Pearl more or less called him useless?

They're trying to help him learn and, well, that's not always easy...

Thoughts anyone?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, wait till you get to the episode with the trials in the temple that the Gems purposely set up on "Easy Mode" so that Steven could get a flase sense of triumph and the conversation he overhears.

And the healing spit... That's his residual ability handed down from his mom's healing tears.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
And the healing spit... That's his residual ability handed down from his mom's healing tears.
The way he fixed Connie's sight made me scream so loud that I scared my Abuela in the next room over XD!

But, anyway, that is cool though. I'm a little worried as to what's in store but, I'm very excited as well!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair to Pearl, she was trying to spare Steven... Because that episode where he's talking to Connie sets up the entire batch of episodes that deals with the upcoming invasion by Peridot and Jasper. I'll admit I haven't seen the episode where Lion's secret is revealed myself, and I haven't been watching the latest episodes, but I'll catch up when my television wants to cooperate again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know it was Steven just relaying the story to Connie but, I truly am kind of over here on the 'what in the world just happened' bus and am a bit taken aback. I'm happy that Steven is developing his powers but, why does he feel like Pearl more or less called him useless?
That's pretty glib. There's a subtly to Pearl's relationship with Steven. Part of it is that he is a kid, that's one thing. But more over she's Rose's kid. And however the yet undisclosed reasons for his existence, he's a part of Rose and as such retains some of her qualities. Rose was a very important figure in the Gems, and Pearl was especially close to her. So naturally, Steven is seen by them as their chosen one. But as he's part mortal, unlike the Gems he can die like one, so Pearl is extremely overprotective. There seems to be part entrusted with a an important figure in the Gem Wars, and part motherly instinct. As non-canon and exaggeratedly in character as she was in the Uncle Grandpa crossover, her "That's not my Baby!!!" line was more than a throwaway gag to me. Essentially, she's the Godmother entrusted with Steven after his mother disappeared and she's very afraid of something happening. That's essentially why she's telling a mortal that she's essentially the body guard of a half mortal that actually has powers. She's willing to throw a human into battle (but not without proper training) to protect Steven at any cost.

Contrast to Garnet, who's much less hands on and trusts Steven as an equal (probably due to her future vision), and Amethyst who just wants to be goofy friends with him as she has a more laid back attitude than both of them.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with that assesment.

Garnet's the chillax Uncle Ben type who trusts that Steven can handle himself with whatever comes, but does show concern when needed.
Pearl's the overprotective godmother/aunt figure who clashes at times with Greg, not just because of the Rose factor but because of her uptightedness character demeanor.
And that leaves Amethyst as the goofy older cousin who laughs everything away, kind of the Gonzo of the group.

Harleena

Reaction score
So, Sardonyx theories, anyone? Is she a fusion? Is she good or evil? Is she another Homeworld gem? My friends and I had a few different theories. My friend Jess thinks she'll be a singular gem, and my friend Ryan says she'll be a Pearl/Garnet fusion. My friend Sari thinks that she'll be a fusion of two completely new characters. My theory is that Malachite's gonna break apart and Sardonyx will be a Jasper fusion, maybe even Jasper and Garnet. I know that a Jasper/Garnet fusion is highly unlikely, but we've seen forceful fusions before, in "Keeping it Together". Maybe Garnet (or Ruby and Sapphire separately) gets "poofed" (like Amethyst did in "Reformed") and Jasper steals the gems, and forces a fusion with herself? Both Sardonyx and Japser have similar color schemes..

Sardonyx Gemstone

Jasper Gemstone

A bara cheese puff
If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!