Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Luke kun

Reaction score
Well...I go to Tyrone Magnus's channel, and...

Are they really doing this? I think it's funny by the trailer, but if I think doing a movie about this, I think it should've been a CGI movie about the cooties themselves. Yeah... :embarrassed:

What do you think?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
LOVE & MERCY was really good.

For starters, after seeing this, plus having seen SAVING MR. BANKS last year, I think I'm really convinced now that Paul Giamatti is a better actor than I used to give him credit for - he was really convincing as Brian Wilson's ax-crazy and manipulative psychotherapist.

But as for the movie itself, it's a really interesting study of Brian Wilson's life, from his days with the Beach Boys in the 60s, to his turmoil in the 80s between meeting a new woman he loves yet is convinced he's paranoid and delusional by his previously mentioned psychotherapist.

I also have to say that I actually found some of the movie relatable. At least, in the ways young Wilson always had so many different ideas whizzing through his head all the time, and always trying to release those ideas from his head and make them reality. I think he was to pop music in the 60s what Jim Henson was to puppetry back when he was alive, as Wilson was always a bit ahead of his time in terms of not just his music, but his techniques and methods of recording and orchestrating.

It's also refreshing to see a biopic that doesn't rely too heavily on fictionalizing and dramatizing the person's life, Brian Wilson himself even says the movie is very factual of what his life was like, and was even scared by Giamatti's spot-on performance of his therapist; he also notes that Paul Dano's portrayal as himself when he was younger in his Beach Boys days were particularly more accurate and authentic compared to John Cusack's portrayal of him during his dazed and confused days in the 80s.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
(Spoilers!!)
It's incredible. I'm speechless by it's sheer brilliance and hilarity.
It really was!:smile: It was mind-blowing, hilarious, and phenomenal. It's nice that the emotions have feelings and not just their own. I almost teared up during the scene where Riley comes home from running away to Minnesota and tells her parents she's homesick, and the lesson that sadness is as important as happiness.

(I couldn't tell at first, but after a few seconds I totally recognized Frank Oz and Dave Goelz's voices as the security guards!:wink:)

Last edited:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
(Spoilers!!)

It really was!:smile: It was mind-blowing, hilarious, and phenomenal. It's nice that the emotions have feelings and not just their own. I almost teared up during the scene where Riley comes home from running away to Minnesota and tells her parents she's homesick, and the lesson that sadness is as important as happiness.

(I couldn't tell at first, but after a few seconds I totally recognized Frank Oz and Dave Goelz's voices as the security guards!:wink:)
Right?? It's so incredible that I'm constantly at a loss for words at it's brilliance. I can't wait to see it again.

Frank and Dave's cameo was so awesome. Most people might not realize which performers are providing the voices, but it's certainly a memorable moment.

Seriously. Go see Inside Out. It was the best Pixar film in years.
It's one of the best films...period.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
What a huge box office weekend though. Jurassic World making over $100 million in its second weekend is huge, and Inside Out made a huge $91 million in its opening weekend making it the highest opening weekend not in first place, still huge for both movies.