Am I the only one who didn't like the Calypso Theme Song?

JLG

Reaction score
Wait. Hold it. Back up.

No Elmo's World?

You can't be serious. What, is it 1997 again?

wiley207

Reaction score
No Elmo's World?

You can't be serious. What, is it 1997 again?
No, if it were 1997, we'd all be complaining about "Around the Corner" as much as we complain about the new post-2002 format. :stick_out_tongue:

SSLFan

Reaction score
No, if it were 1997, we'd all be complaining about "Around the Corner" as much as we complain about the new post-2002 format. :stick_out_tongue:
:mad: :mad: DUDE, WOULD YOU STOP BASHING THE WHOLE "AROUND THE CORNER "ERA! THAT'S REALLY GETTING ANNOYING!

wiley207

Reaction score
OK, OK, I'm sorry. I just wasn't too thrilled about when the show tried to be "cool" and "hip" during that era.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is that the same era as the one where Jim, Joe, and Richard died and others left, and they were struggling to make sense out of it all, and fill the void those people left?

I don't hate around the corner. I mean, classic SS is classic SS, but like most of everything they're always trying to experiment. That's why Elmo's world was missing that episode....

DePingPong

Reaction score
Reviving an 8 year old post!

Anyhow, I enjoyed the calypso theme, as well as ATC, then again, I was born in the late 90's, I grew up with ATC due to it being shown on 123 Sesame Street on Noggin.

If there's on theme song that's bad, it's the current hip-hop one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't mind the introductory instrumental that the show used to start the story that continued to be used well after the ATC era - I've been trying to find a clean recording of it for quite some time.

However, despite growing up in the 90s myself (born 89), I too have to agree with the masses that the ATC era was a Dork Age for the show, and like many Muppet Freaks are with KSY and MOZ, I like to pretend that the ATC seasons and specials don't exist. While I don't necessarily agree with Jon Stone's sentiments that the show was being "dumbed down" at that point, I do get a sense that the show lost focus of what it was about and put more emphasis on having to stay ahead of the competition they were now facing from Barney and other Edutainment Shows that were beginning to emerge throughout the 90s. Luckily the show got its act back together with Season 30.

Erine81981

Reaction score
You know what Theme version I really didn't care for? And the only reason why is cause I wasn't born during that year. The First year. Now I don't know how long that version lasted but it's ok. I've always enjoyed the the themes with the # Episode at the bottom of the screen and then on.

I'm not saying I don't like it I just don't care for it. I want jumpy type of music and the first season (till it lasted) wasn't all that great to me.

Now I understand this isn't the Theme version but the ending to the show. Credits. I really enjoyed the one with Big Bird walking either to Snuffy's or where ever it was he was heading. I never really knew where B.B. was going. It always puzzled me. Does anyone really know? Just thought I would ask.

That's my two 0.02 cents.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, despite growing up in the 90s myself (born 89), I too have to agree with the masses that the ATC era was a Dork Age for the show, and like many Muppet Freaks are with KSY and MOZ, I like to pretend that the ATC seasons and specials don't exist. While I don't necessarily agree with Jon Stone's sentiments that the show was being "dumbed down" at that point, I do get a sense that the show lost focus of what it was about and put more emphasis on having to stay ahead of the competition they were now facing from Barney and other Edutainment Shows that were beginning to emerge throughout the 90s. Luckily the show got its act back together with Season 30.
Agreed. It wasn't so much "dumbing down" as much as trying to remain relevant when preschool television became the "it" thing. Not to mention the fact they lost some important figures in the show. Now you look at preschool television and it seems that there's at least 2 new shows announced a week! There's so much freaking preschool programming out there. Mostly Nick Jr. and Disney Jr. (to be fair, at least the Disney ones are really getting good, Nick still feels the need to shove the talk to the audience awkwardly Dora crap in all its shows). But seriously. Back then when Barney hit the scene and lousy Barney knockoff type shows were being pooped out. Not to mention Nick Jr. started it's original programming line up back then, and not just dubbing F Grade kiddy anime like Lil Bits (which they dubbed as a bad Smurf ripoff) and Noozels (a show that only exists cuz Australia gave the Japanese Zoo koalas, and it wasn't even the popular koala anime). that's when Sesame had to be very experimental to stand out. Nothing but Elmo and Zoe stuck from that era, take of that what you will.

I have to admit, the Calypso opening managed to warm up a few hearts over the years. I liked the visuals and the huge concentration of Muppet characters, and I like how that tradition held on since. I'll admit I even warmed up to the hip hop one for the past decade. I'll be glad to see what the new season 46 opening will be like. Honestly, they should have at least changed the visuals for season 45. They still had that Zoe puppet they stopped using that no one liked.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
From what I've heard from a certain Tough Pig, it's more akin to the classic arrangement.