West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, surprising in the fact that the movie didn't make that much money and critics and Stooges fans hated it. Even I'm shocked it made the money it did. And frankly, while I am not opposed to the idea of a revival Stooge movie, those who were behind it aren't half as talented as everyone says they are. They make juvenile garbage that even the Stooges are above. I mean, if there was one movie that was decent they were associated with, it was Osmosis Jones. And even then, only because Bill Murray can make anything pretty good and the animation segments were the best part of the film. I didn't even like the first Dumb and Dumber, and that's when Jim Carrey movies were relatively good (certainly The Mask and Ace Ventura).

Still, I think a change of production, writing, and direction may actually give this movie potential. Just no "let's throw the Jersey Shore guys in unironically because that's our level of humor" this time, 'kay?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why does there need to be a PITCH PERFECT 3? Why?! These movies are clearly a rip-off of GLEE, and the hype over GLEE finally died down a couple of years ago . . . why do we need to try to keep the hype alive? And why hasn't the studio(s) behind this movie been sued out of their butts over the blatant rip-off?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why does there need to be a PITCH PERFECT 3? Why?!
Because it made an undeserved 70 million dollars on opening weekend when Mad Max and Avengers are clearly the superior films. Pitch Perfect was at best a cult film. And one of the cult films made intended for cult audiences to become cult instantly. Somehow, way too many people decided it was worth seeing on the big screen the second time. Probably already made up over its budget in one week. So low budget plus high returns equals obvious choice for a sequel even though it clearly didn't need this one except for the money.

These comedy movies are high/low. Somehow, if they open up against something with a bigger budget that needs to make a decent amount of money it manages to make a crapload of money, but only one at a time. If it opens against nothing or something dreadful, it never manages to make more than 17 million on it's opening weekend.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sharknado is actually lampshading its own case of sequelitis . . . have you seen the title for the next installment?

SHARKNADO 3: OH **** NO

Seriously, that's the actual title.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the thing about Sharknado. It's not that it's just in on its own joke, it's painfully self aware to the point where they're bigger creator trolls than Teen Titans Go's writing staff. It's one thing to put in X-list celebrities just because they know they're going to be recognized as hasbeens in a purposely crappy movie. But they've put some terrible people into this third one for the sake of pure shock value. Michelle Bachman is in it. No freaking foolin'. That's a HIGH level of "ain't I a stinker?" self awareness to hire such a polarizing (and dangerously batcrap insane) figure. Give it two more sequels and they'd put Whitey Bulger in there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, I'm admiring the fact that they didn't switch to CGI . . . heck, I'm surprised that this is 2D animation (with still some very obvious CGI thrown in for good measure, but that's been done in animation since the 80s).

And what's up with trailers for children's movies always making a special point to make special mention of the movie's soundtrack provided by a music mogul, as parodied in this comic?

And. . . . when did Reba McIntyre suddenly become relevant again? I know reruns of her sitcom have been popping up more lately.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Hey, I'm admiring the fact that they didn't switch to CGI . . . heck, I'm surprised that this is 2D animation (with still some very obvious CGI thrown in for good measure, but that's been done in animation since the 80s).
Only 2 of Universal Animation's productions (Tales of Desperaux, 2011's The Little Engine That Could) have been all-CG, and even then those were co-productions. The latter was probably super cheap to make as Crest Animation is based in India, and they probably offer a lot of tax incentives for studios, so I'm surprised Universal didn't go for them specifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Animation_Studios

And what's up with trailers for children's movies always making a special point to make special mention of the movie's soundtrack provided by a music mogul, as parodied in this comic?
I know. Most adults don't care for these kinds of movies either way, so who are they trying to appeal to?

And. . . . when did Reba McIntyre suddenly become relevant again? I know reruns of her sitcom have been popping up more lately.
The last show she had was a couple of years ago on ABC, and only lasted 18 episodes. So I'd say she's still irrelevant.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but you scared me for a minute mr3urious, because when I saw that PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE screencap, my intitial reaction was, "OMG! They're making a sequel to PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE! How dare they!"

But . . . Paul Reubens has been talking about doing a new Pee-wee movie for a while now, I don't know if that's still in the works or not. I know BIG ADVENTURE didn't have a direct sequel, but a follow-up with BIG TOP PEE-WEE; I haven't seen it, but everybody, including cable networks that end up playing it, says that it's one of the worst movies ever.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but you scared me for a minute mr3urious, because when I saw that PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE screencap, my intitial reaction was, "OMG! They're making a sequel to PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE! How dare they!"

But . . . Paul Reubens has been talking about doing a new Pee-wee movie for a while now, I don't know if that's still in the works or not. I know BIG ADVENTURE didn't have a direct sequel, but a follow-up with BIG TOP PEE-WEE; I haven't seen it, but everybody, including cable networks that end up playing it, says that it's one of the worst movies ever.
The movie is in the works through Netflix, though I'm not sure if a concrete date has come out yet.