Your Thoughts: "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story"

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Just got back from seeing the movie this afternoon. What a treat this was. Today is already sort of bittersweet--this being the anniversary of Henson's passing and all--and when it got to that point in the movie... Niagra Falls. Mr. Spinney is such a fantastic talent that everyone needs to know. God bless him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Made it to the screening yesterday! I highly recommend it to anyone who struggles to realize their dreams, it's very inspirational and very honest. In a way, it was a load off my chest, to realize it's normal to experience sadness, from setbacks or difficult people in your life. But there's always so much joy to be had as well if you just keep going.

You know, at one point in the documentary, a producer said if Sesame Street had been created today, a character like Oscar probably wouldn't be included. Well...that's a crime. Oscar teaches children that "negative" emotions are normal and healthy, simply a part of life and nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. Trying to force everything into a bright sunny box doesn't prepare you for life. Learning to balance both is what makes us human.

Anyway, yes I highly recommend I Am Big Bird, for its balance of the sadness and the joy. :grouchy::wisdom:

Last edited:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I finally got to see the movie on Comcast and it is fantastic! I really like the part discussing Mitt Romney's comment.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. Big Bird is one of my all time favorites of Sesame Street. This is a documentary that everyone needs to see no matter if they aren't into Sesame Street or Muppets.

I hope at least some day I'll get to see Caroll Spinney and tell me how much Big Bird meant to me. I can't express how much I just love Big Bird or Caroll Spinney. I had a Big Bird doll when I was little. My mom said I wouldn't leave the house without him. That's how much he brings it out of me. I just couldn't let go of Big Bird.

Sad story: (for me that is and my mom mad) I don't remember how old I was or when it happened. But my dad threw him away. I heard it was falling apart but my mom doesn't think so. She told me one day that she wished she would have kept him somewhere and later one bring him out for my kids. (If I ever have any)

I even had an Oscar puppet. The Hasbro version which he was apart of his trash can. Got it for a birthday and either it got thrown away or sold at a garage sale. Don't remember. But I did find the one Big Bird I had on ebay. It made me so happy to see it again.

Like everyone who love Caroll or Big Bird watch the movie. You will really enjoy the stories and the behind the scenes with Caroll and others.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Bought it on Amazon so I could stream it, Since I'm sure it won't be screened in my town. Best ten bucks I've spent in a while.

It was a wonderful look into the life of a man who's work has touched so many of us in a positive way. How many personal struggles he went though, and he was able to overcome is very inspiring. I never realized how much of an artist he really is until I saw this. Just wonderful. I'm hoping it gets a DVD release or Blu Ray (I think I read in some of the above posts it will be getting Blu-Ray at least), so I can have a physical copy to add to my collection.

For the record, this WAS based on a book, right? I'll need to pick me up a copy.

RowlfFan12

Reaction score
I watched this today, and I absolutely loved it. I think what I liked the most, other than all the great footage of Caroll as Big Bird, as well as Jim Henson, Richard Hunt, and Joan Ganz Cooney speaking about him at (what I assume was) a birthday party for Caroll; but what really stuck out at me was the relationship between Caroll and his wife. They have such a beautiful relationship together, and it was so neat to see how she traveled with him all over the place.

There were, of course, many places that made me sad. Some to name are when they spoke of Caroll's childhood, his father, the passing of Jim, among others. But what I think really hit me was when they discussed how little Big Bird is truly on the show now. Not because of just that--but it made me realize just how much older Caroll has gotten, and I get concerned for what may happen. I know things will happen, but a part of me is not ready for that.

This is a very good documentary, and it really gives me a better glimpse at what goes on behind the scenes.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I watched the movie on Darewall a few days ago. While I enjoyed it, a lot of the information presented here was stuff I already knew about, so it's nothing new. It was nice seeing footage we haven't seen before, but I was expecting more (episode 847, anyone?)

Overall, good film. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

What's the one thing that's preventing me from giving it a full 5-star rating?

The fact that they brought up the Romney/Big Bird brouhaha.

I mean...really? They just had to bring that up?!! I was hoping we'd never hear about it again! :mad:

To which I say...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Probably the most moving part for me was the segment about Big Bird in China. I don't want to give too much away, but my friend had to hand me the tissues. :cry:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
What's the one thing that's preventing me from giving it a full 5-star rating?

The fact that they brought up the Romney/Big Bird brouhaha.

I mean...really? They just had to bring that up?!! I was hoping we'd never hear about it again! :mad:

To which I say...

While it's more of a "viral for a few hours" kind of thing in terms of total Sesame history, it is a prime example of Big Bird establishing relevancy in this so-called "Elmo-era."

Thinking about it, they probably spent a little too much time on it, but I don't mind much.