The Letter People

Drtooth

Reaction score
I sure am! Though my dA is mostly filled with -- for the sake of this thread, I'll use a pun -- "jumbled junk" from years gone by, my Tumblr is where I go to post more recent creations.
Never made the connection that was you. Might I just add, I love your loose, almost 1960's retro style (for lack of a better description).

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Might I just add, I love your loose, almost 1960's retro style (for lack of a better description).
There definitely is a mid century modern influence in my artstyle, though over time I have combined it with other things and now it's this sort of mishmash of that and other cartooning styles. Mostly the 60s stuff, though. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with how it's turned out, and it's real nice to hear you enjoy it! Your art is always a joy to see as well, lot of witty and fun crossover/parody/injoke stuff, you emulate the styles of other cartoons/anime very well. :big_grin:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Might as well hawk myself too, here's my first and only attempt at Letter People art:

http://simanettefan.deviantart.com/art/Miss-Opposite-527812705

While I'll agree with Drtooth that Miss O's Optimistic Optimist song does have rather obnoxious lyrics to it, I at least find the melody to the song enjoyable with it's obvious 70s underscoring. But yes, the Obstinate song is superior in general.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
It was Snowth's drawing that actually gave me the drive to get involved with The Letter People show. Also, it took me til just now to realize that was his dA, so thanks for all of that... I knew something looked familiar...

Slowly I'm working on the next 5. Already have B finished.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I'll agree with Drtooth that Miss O's Optimistic Optimist song does have rather obnoxious lyrics to it, I at least find the melody to the song enjoyable with it's obvious 70s underscoring. But yes, the Obstinate song is superior in general.
Plus, it's just a better character personality. Optimistic characters only work if they're so optimistic that it boarders on insanity and gets others in trouble. Like Eek the Cat. Or even as commentary on something like Kafka in Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei... which you probably never heard of, but her overly optimistic viewpoints are used as satire and a counterpoint for the main character's extreme pessimist viewpoint.

On that note, here's the only other Letter People bit I did, in case anyone's wondering...

You all remember Histeria!, right?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They did look different than the videos we were shown...
Yeah, they updated/modernized the Letter People in recent years: half of people are consonants and the other half are vowels instead of just the male Letter People being consonants and thefemale being vowels, and their personalities are a lot more P.C.: Mr. H now has "happy hair" instead of "horrible hair", Mr. D does "dazzling dances" instead of making "delicious doughnuts", Mr. J and his jumbled junk are not Miss J and her jingle jacket.

Xerus

Reaction score
What I liked about the original LP was when the Letter Boys were introduced, they were in different categories. Like Mr. M, T, F, H, and N represented body parts. Mr. B, Z, P, S and V represented clothing. Mr. L, D, G, and C represented food. Mr, K, W, and Y represented verbs. Mr. J and R represented things you carry around. And Mr. X and Q were letter boys who needed special help making their sounds. While the Letter Girls represented random things.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Not much updates on my drawing series, but I figure I should bring this up:
"Letter People Media," who seems to be taking care of distribution of the 70s style Letter People tools (DVDs of the show, CDs of the album, and practically everything from the original school kit except for tchotchkes like the inflatables) is now supposedly in the works on a Letter People reboot for YouTube, featuring replicas of the PBS puppets (including a slightly less ugly Ms. A and a Mr. M with arm rods) and somewhat off kilter impersonation voices, judging from this trailer.