The next Transformers Cartoon REVEALED!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone manage to check this one out? It's pretty good so far, and I really like the subtle police force angle of this series. Sideswipe and Grimlock have become my favorite Autobots in this series. There's also no denying that Underbite stole the show with his "Have you ever been to Nuon City? CUZ I ATE IT!!!" I even really like the humans in this one. The humans in TF fiction have been improving greatly ever since we've seen TFA's Sari Sumdac (though she's technically not a human). No Headmasters Daniel Witwicky's or that guy from the Unicron Trilogy that everyone hates here. Ted McGinley's doing a bang up job, actually.

The animation works much better once you've seen the whole project. Thought the fully 2-D animated blue bird in the second part was...odd... I'm looking forward to the episode with Bisk. The short preview that Hasbro released a month ago was pretty funny. They really have a nice angle with animal robots with vehicle alt-modes, rather than the Beast Wars/other series called Robots in Disguise robot/beast alt-modes. It give the series a unique look. Maybe a nod to said Japanese series with the same American dub name as this one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's also no denying that Underbite stole the show with his "Have you ever been to Nuon City? CUZ I ATE IT!!!"
Underbite's been a really fun Decepticon. I hope he gets more screen time.

The animation works much better once you've seen the whole project. Thought the fully 2-D animated blue bird in the second part was...odd...
I thought that little bit of conspicuous 2D was pretty weird, too. Was it cheaper and easier for Polygon Pictures to draw that little bird rather than render it in CG or something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kinda surprised that Underbite's the first Decepticon they introduce and his toys aren't out yet. Well, at least near me.

Anyway, Japan just got their airing of the series. Even though they didn't get series 3 and the movie of Prime (the last episode they got of course being "Darkest Hour" was reedited at the end to be more positive). Here's the opening, ending, and a couple commercials for the toys.

Yeah. They animated an all new closing where the bots dance to Japanese folk music.

Drtooth

Reaction score
First up... replacement video:

Secondly, I really think the last episode could only be appreciated with context from Prime. Bumblebee's pathos in Prime stemmed from wanting to be more than he is. Operation Bumblebee had him lamenting the loss of his T-Cog as well as his damaged voice box. Now that Bumblebee's greatest dream has come true, being the leader of Autobots (essentially the "more" he wanted to be), being surrounded by disrespectful soldiers (even incredibly anal-retentive by the book Strongarm) is disillusioning. As much fun as it was to see Bee ham it up trying to be like Optimus, you could tell he was in great pain that no one in his team (save maybe the human boy) respecting him. Not to mention how his whatever Cybertonians have instead of hearts...spark? Not to mention how his spark sank when he misinterpreted Optimus's comments that he's not like Optimus.

Having that context from Prime makes the episode much deeper, and somewhat more depressing/uplifting.

Aside from that, Terrorshock was pretty funny. Not Underbite levels of hammy goodness, but seeing a claustrophobic Decepticon that somehow thinks a barely functioning animatronic buffalo is a threat to his mercenary gig go on a rampage at the museum was pretty fun stuff.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I loved Springload in the latest episode. He's so endearingly paranoid. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I love about this series' police chase angle. They've really made some memorable Decepticons with some wild personality quirks here. All the more interesting when this finally comes to a head and they're all working for Steeljaw. I love how their motives are all different, and some are more destructive than actual evil.

Also loved how this was a character piece on Strongarm. Up until now, she was really just the overly by the book character that was holier than thou to the other Autobots. Here, she screwed up trying to prove herself and it almost cost them the takedown. We actually got to see her actual character flaws instead of the funny overly straightlaced cop ones. Glad to see that ever since Beast Wars, female Transformers are getting more spotlight and merchandising. Strongarm is strongly featured in series 1 assortments of nearly all of the RID toylines. Compair that with the fact G1 Arcee didn't get a proper transforming toy until recently. And she was impossible to find to boot.

Also great seeing that passive aggressive war of wills between Denny and Fixit. Fixit's really expanding as a character instead of just being the broken, needy one.

I also really liked the last episode as well. For the so far short run of the series Sideswipe has been a complete arrogant jerkwad, but he finally showed some compassion. After all, he was the first one to realize that when Grimlock was acting out of character, it was because he was under the influence of something. For a character that refused to give any team spirit, showing sympathy for Grimlock when others wouldn't, not to mention having a sense of genre savvy clarity over Bee and Strongarm really shows some quick development with the character. Seems he has a special bond with Grimlock he doesn't have with the others.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I quite enjoy the series, and love the direction they're going in, I really hope that Season 2 is more continuity heavy and utilizes some TFP concepts and characters. I'd love to see Starscream and Shockwave (the only remaining Megatron Decepticons left after Predicons Rising) make a grand return. Maybe even have them challenge Steeljaw's crew for Decepticon dominance? They have said that some TFP characters may return if the show gets picked up for a second season. Fingers crossed for the just reformed at the end of the last series Knockout

This does mean more toys, clearly. Hope we get a RID Windblade considering how hard to find the Thrilling 30 Generations one was. I know there's a crapload of redecos coming.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Behind the scenes video with most of the main voice actors.

Fascinating. Russel Clay is completely based on his voice actor. They just drew him off his head shot.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The second season will premiere at the end of this month. And the first season will be available on DVD May 10th. Also a Happy Meal promotion (with Ponies for you Bronies) probably to co-incide with the second season premiere. Unfortunately, it's just Optimus Prime (for brand reasons), Bumblebee, Steeljaw, and Thunderhoof, but featuring toys in both robot and vehicle mode. Because McDonalds should never attempt transforming Transformers ever again. Sure, the TF Animated ones were passable. Some of the Beast Machine ones weren't bad, but...just no.

I really hope to see a more dramatic spin on this season. While I did like the Decepticon of the week format, I really hope to see more stable recurring villains here. Other characters from TF Prime are hinted to make appearances (there's an Ultra Magnus TF:RID legion class toy that's been out for a while, he has appeared in the comic book tie in with Bulkhead and Arcee) but none were confirmed.

Personally I'd love to see an episode devoted to telling us how much time exactly has passed since Predicons Rising and this series. How was Cybertron able to repopulate that fast?