The Clarence thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
I loved how Jeff turned detention into a nightclub after all those hidden toys were unlocked just to get popular with the girls (and after abandoning his hall monitor duties to avoid looking like a killjoy) only for it all to backfire on him horribly. Loved all those references to old toys, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Sqawk Back or Yak Back or whatever it was called certainly had me fall out of my chair.

And of course Jeff is the kind of person to use KraGl on his Legos.

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
CLARENCE #2 is out!

A-STORY: Riptide Postcards: When a field trip to the water park is rained out, Ms. Baker takes the class to the movies to see a romantic drama. Sumo, Clarence, Jeff, and Chelsea sneak out to see a horror movie, but Clarence accidentally causes trouble along the way.

B-STORY: Perceived Fun: Percy has to stay at school during a field trip after losing his permission slip. But he makes the best of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looks like Clarence gets its week of new episodes next week.

mr3urious

Reaction score
This show finally decided to make fun of those creepy "My Buddy" dolls in the latest episode. Gotta love how 5 minutes of time out is like an eternity to Clarence, which is a lot like how other little kids perceive time. Also gotta love how Clarence went goth, or his idea of goth. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I missed this yesterday and caught it today after the new episode. Can't help but think that if watching them in a different order makes the context different. Mainly because "L'il Buddy" was in the box of stuff to give away and Clarence winced at it. Either he found it in the box or grew to love it, or they put it in the box when he realized how insane it made him.

Either way, having seen the episode, it comes off as a weird "Take That" to Skyler Page, even if completely unintentional. Think about it. The main character, the one he created and voiced, goes slowly insane, acts erratically and alienates everyone around him. Then again, I don't know how far this episode was in production before he was fired, so it may just be a weird coincidence... I dunno. Still, a weird episode. Liked the "Strange Things" parody. Supposedly, you can see Wirt and Greg of OTGW are in silhouette in this episode... found the screenshot... they're very dark and on the right... you can barely make them out.

BTW, I actually had one of those things as a kid and loved it very much. Not as much as my Teddy Ruxpin, but still really liked that thing. But "real hair" toys don't exactly hold up well no matter what it is.

Really liked the Chalmers Santiago one. Loved the little jab at Atari Adventure. Can't remember how wonky the Atari acted without a game in its slot (not the flashing solid color screens of a Nintendo). So, what's the deal with Belson? Seems like either he's run away from home, or he's just squatting in that house because he's Belson. After the events of Dust Buddies and his mother being more aggressive, it's easy to see why he'd leave like that. And siphoning off Clarence's mother's energy as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
BTW, I actually had one of those things as a kid and loved it very much. Not as much as my Teddy Ruxpin, but still really liked that thing. But "real hair" toys don't exactly hold up well no matter what it is.
That's why I like Raggedy Ann & Andy as well as Rainbow Brite. That yarn hair is much better to the touch. :smile:

Really liked the Chalmers Santiago one. Loved the little jab at Atari Adventure. Can't remember how wonky the Atari acted without a game in its slot (not the flashing solid color screens of a Nintendo). So, what's the deal with Belson? Seems like either he's run away from home, or he's just squatting in that house because he's Belson. After the events of Dust Buddies and his mother being more aggressive, it's easy to see why he'd leave like that. And siphoning off Clarence's mother's energy as well.
I'm guessing Belson's a disobedient runaway with first world problems, hence the squatting situation.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've never seen a non-drug-induced hallucination this crazy since "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer". I almost expected that Johnny Cash coyote to show up and say something about finding your soulmate or something. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow, I expected Sumo's cute cartoon leaf hallucination to turn into a certain scene from Akira.

Anyway, love how different the three boys' freakouts were. Jeff's had a delightful dream quality, Sumo's was probably a little more lucid and only caused him to stomp on leaves, but Clarence's was the most surreal and nightmarish. If you think about it, the character's had a lot of sanity slippage lately. Nice to see a lighter, more in character version of this (not being able to distinguish reality and fantasy) with Squirty.

Joshua seems to be on the mend since Chimney. Have to admit, that part was a little too much humiliation conga. Glad to see he's kinda back to being a jerk here, even though it's obvious he's afraid of Clarence. The water park being dangerously in need of repair was a nice touch, as was the cheapness of the commercial. They really managed to animate bad computer graphics from a local commercial quite believably.

I'm also digging the running gag of Sumo being drawn poorly. Loved seeing it in Lil Buddy and Tuckered Boys.