Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This show is up against some stiff competition. The Tuesday slot demonstrates a lot of confidence in the Muppets and I appreciate that. However, Wednesday would be Modern Family adjacent and that might be the better place for the show.

The Tuesday block will have the Muppets in competition with The Voice on NBC, He||'s Kitchen on Fox, NCIS on CBS and The Flash on the CW.

The Wednesday block would compete with The Mysteries of Laura on NBC, American Idol on Fox, Survivor on CBS and Arrow on the CW.

Either way, there's always DVR, OnDemand and Hulu for those with split loyalties.
Well think about it All the shows they are going up against have been on the air for a good while, with the exception of the Flash. So I don't know if that will help or hurt the Muppets.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The trailer was really great, I really want to see this, sadly it will only be until mid season, then Fresh off the Boat will move up a slot for a dumb new sitcom, but if it gets good enough ratings, I bet it can stay for the whole time, and putting it before Fresh off the Boat is great, and will probably make @mr3urious very happy.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I keep refreshing the Youtube page for the muppets trailer, and in about fifteen minutes it has gone from 470 likes to 630, really cool.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd like to see the script page for the scene with Chip. I'd be interested in seeing if the script actually identified him by name or if it referred to him as something like "Obscure Muppet Character". Of course I wouldn't be surprised if part of that was cut for the trailer - until we actually see the whole thing, we don't really know that the full line wasn't "I'm Chip, I think I was in a Muppet special." Though it's a little ironic (I think... I hope I'm not thinking like Alanis Morresette here) that he mentioned he might have been in a special because I'm pretty sure he's never appeared in any Muppet TV special (there haven't been many since he was introduced).

I'm not really surprised that Chip would be used here, since he was in the background in a number of late-1990s productions. Is this the first time he's spoken since The Jim Henson Hour? I wonder how many other JHH puppets are still usable (I suspect Zondra might be).

There's that one puppet behind Chip and the "thingy thing". I don't know if I've seen that character before (though at the same time I feel like he might have been a pirate in MTI, which is likely considering a lot of minor pirates from that movie have been used in the past year).

I sort of feel like they should have filled that shot with lots of obscure characters (and maybe more were there but this particular shot only showed a few). Particularly more JHH characters, but also Seymour, Nigel the director, Zippety Zap, Bill the Bubble Guy, maybe some Muppet Time and From the Balcony characters...

Too bad we don't see Lips in the meeting scenes or with the rest of The Electric Mayhem, considering he's been used a fair bit recently and it seems Steve is now comfortable with giving him a voice. That doesn't mean he's not going to appear, of course. I am kind of glad he wasn't lumped into that scene with really obscure characters (though he would qualify).

Interesting that Bunsen is wearing black gloves. I wonder if there's context for that or if it's done for no reason.

I'd like to see the whole scene (or set-up to the scene) revealing Fozzie as that girls boyfriend. Seeing it in the trailer sets the reveal as a punchline, so I wonder how it will start.

Gonzo points out that he and Miss Piggy did 6 films together, instead of 8. I wonder if Dave Goelz misread the line, or if the writer was wrong, or if they decided not to count the Sony films, or what.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
We
I'd like to see the script page for the scene with Chip. I'd be interested in seeing if the script actually identified him by name or if it referred to him as something like "Obscure Muppet Character". Of course I wouldn't be surprised if part of that was cut for the trailer - until we actually see the whole thing, we don't really know that the full line wasn't "I'm Chip, I think I was in a Muppet special." Though it's a little ironic (I think... I hope I'm not thinking like Alanis Morresette here) that he mentioned he might have been in a special because I'm pretty sure he's never appeared in any Muppet TV special (there haven't been many since he was introduced).

I'm not really surprised that Chip would be used here, since he was in the background in a number of late-1990s productions. Is this the first time he's spoken since The Jim Henson Hour? I wonder how many other JHH puppets are still usable (I suspect Zondra might be).

There's that one puppet behind Chip and the "thingy thing". I don't know if I've seen that character before (though at the same time I feel like he might have been a pirate in MTI, which is likely considering a lot of minor pirates from that movie have been used in the past year).

I sort of feel like they should have filled that shot with lots of obscure characters (and maybe more were there but this particular shot only showed a few). Particularly more JHH characters, but also Seymour, Nigel the director, Zippety Zap, Bill the Bubble Guy, maybe some Muppet Time and From the Balcony characters...

Too bad we don't see Lips in the meeting scenes or with the rest of The Electric Mayhem, considering he's been used a fair bit recently and it seems Steve is now comfortable with giving him a voice. That doesn't mean he's not going to appear, of course. I am kind of glad he wasn't lumped into that scene with really obscure characters (though he would qualify).

Interesting that Bunsen is wearing black gloves. I wonder if there's context for that or if it's done for no reason.

I'd like to see the whole scene (or set-up to the scene) revealing Fozzie as that girls boyfriend. Seeing it in the trailer sets the reveal as a punchline, so I wonder how it will start.

Gonzo points out that he and Miss Piggy did 6 films together, instead of 8. I wonder if Dave Goelz misread the line, or if the writer was wrong, or if they decided not to count the Sony films, or what.
Well Gonzo probably wouldn't remember all of the movies exactly. Maybe they said that because MTM and MFS are owned by Sony?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
We

Well Gonzo probably wouldn't remember all of the movies exactly. Maybe they said that because MTM and MFS are owned by Sony?
I mentioned that possibility. Though it's still a little odd. Those two movies were listed in a list of the Muppet movies in the "Scratching the Surface" feature on The Muppets Blu-ray. Even if rights issues prevent them from even being allowed to freely mention the titles of the movies it shouldn't be a big deal to say the exact number of movies.

Chip is actually a Muppet caricature of Bill Prady! :wink:
Could that be why they chose him to appear in that scene?

Hmm, and now I wonder if that's why Chip wasn't in The Muppets Character Encyclopedia (in addition to the fact that they didn't allow many JHH characters to appear, though I wonder if this scene would make him more likely to appear in an updated version of the book).

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Pretty subdued here, guys. I'm so glad they are coming back, but not excited about what I'm hearing about their return.

I'm SOOOO not in the mood for snarky, jerky "playa" Kermit. Ugh.

The movies did such a lovely job of showing Miss Piggy's independence, her strength, her value to Kermit, but we couldn't possibly get more of that....

Time to cue the fat jokes, I suppose....