Your Thoughts: "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story"

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fans everywhere can now download the inspiring and Muppetational documentary "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" on Amazon Video and Apple iTunes. "I Am Big Bird" will also be released on DVD this August.

For 45 years, Caroll Spinney has been beloved by generations of children as the man behind Sesame Street's Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch - and at 80 years old, he has no intention of stopping. A loving portrait of the man in the yellow suit, "I Am Big Bird" features extraordinary footage of Spinney's earliest collaborations with Jim Henson as it traces his journey from bullied child to childhood icon. And as the yellow feathers give way to grey hair, it is the man, not the puppet, who will steal your heart.

If you've seen "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" please like this post and share your thoughts with fans below.

capman

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing this May 3rd, 2014 (picture in my profile) and again May 3rd, 2015 at the MOTMI. All in all, a great story told about Carol's life as the home footage as well as the behind the scene of "A Muppet Family Christmas" are the highlights for me. If I were to play critic on one aspect, it is the flowing somber music played in the back round of most of the movie, which almost gives a hollowing feeling that the next thing they are going to say is sad, which is not true.

Now, after seeing this twice, I will wait for the Blu ray with extras version (which I missed out on the Kickstarter campaign) and tell everyone to download and enjoy.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the DVD will be released? It's On Demand from Comcast but, I need to ask my dad to buy it. And it doesn't look like it's coming to Georgia.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I'm so happy that this is out now!

In case anyone wants it, if you were a Kickstarter and can download the film the MD5 checksum is: 5D7D1E0F91A1C56E0B88DD10935A3AAF

I'm really looking forward to the Blu-Ray!

Does anyone know when the DVD will be released? It's On Demand from Comcast but, I need to ask my dad to buy it. And it doesn't look like it's coming to Georgia.
End of July I think.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I don't want anyone to be shocked or something, but it seems like Caroll's only doing voices now, which explans the last few months of TV and live appearances with Matt playing Big Bird and Eric playing Oscar. See for yourself:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Keep in mind: Big Bird's head is four-and-a-half pounds, and Oscar usually has to be performed in really tight and cramped areas . . . and Caroll's reached his 80s, the physical demands are probably taking more of a toll on him now than they did 40 years ago, or even ten. And he's even said, he intended to keep doing it until he wasn't physically capable of holding Big Bird's head up anymore.

As long as he's still involved with the show, then that's okay with me, and I'm sure it would be for other people as well. With all these rumors of him retiring, I think we can all breathe a little sigh of relief until now.

On note of the video, I think it's so sweet and adorable that Caroll and Debbie are still so in love with and so fond of each other after all these years.

SesameFever

Reaction score
I facebooked the I Am Big Bird Page It is on DVD July 7th

SesameFever

Reaction score
This was amazing to see the home footage and rare clips. I already knew the story from reading "The Wisdom Of Big Bird." But it is really interesting. I highly recommended it.