60 Years of Muppets...

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping the thread, but surely Disney isn't going to be so thick as to ignore this anniversary. Even if they won't acknowledge that the Muppets are turning 60, at least let Kermit go on a couple of talk shows and crack jokes about frogs ageing differently to humans as he so often does.

Honestly, what would be the harm in throwing together a special of some sort? Maybe something similar to 'Muppets Go Hollywood' where they throw a party and invite past Muppet Show guest stars and humans from recent productions? They could even bring back the Boss Men and monsters like Doglion, Mean Mamma and others for a song and dance number!

Of course, this is just coming from the place in my mind where impossible dreams tend to dwell, but c'mon Disney! Do something!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's complicated.

Kermit aside, Disney really only owns the TMS characters (and BITBBH), most of which didn't come about till the 70s.

The 60th anniversary pertains to Jim's creation of the Muppet style of puppetry, beginning with S&F, which, except for Kermit, JHC still owns.

When JHC sold the Classic Muppets to Disney, they also forefeited the trademark of the "Muppet" name. Unlike THE MUPPETS CELEBRATE 30 YEARS, which at that time, Jim still owned all of the Muppet characters from SST, TMS, FR, and other entities, there's not much we're going to get out of the 60th anniversary of the Muppets, because again, they're split up in terms of legal ownership: JHC could probably celebrate 60 years of Jim's career, but they legally can't celebrate 60 years of the Muppets since Disney owns the very face of the Muppet franchise; meanwhile, though Disney owns the Classic Muppets, again, much of that entity of characters weren't created till the 70s - they, perhaps, could celebrate Kermit turning 60, but it wouldn't be very accurate for them to celebrate 60 years of the Muppets since they only own a certain entity of characters who aren't quite that old yet.

SpookyMania

Reaction score
Disney's got a lot on their plate right now. A new Avengers movie, a new Star Wars movie; their D23 Expo is this summer, which is like Comic Con for Disney fans, and most importantly, Disneyland is celebrating it's 60th anniversary this year as well. I think, more than anything, that's what Disney's going to be focusing their attention on this go around. I'd love to see them celebrate 60 years of Kermit and the gang, but I feel like some news of that would've been out already. But, hey, that's just a theory.
And I know it's not exactly cemented, but I'm all for Kermit's birthday being May 9, only because then that means I'd share a birthday with Kermit the Frog and I think that's incredible.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
The 60th anniversary pertains to Jim's creation of the Muppet style of puppetry, beginning with S&F, which, except for Kermit, JHC still owns.
Actually, Disney does own the rights to the Sam and Friends characters (Sam, Yorick, Harry the Hipster, etc.). Craig Shemin said so in a couple of interviews that he did with ToughPigs when the Muppets Character Encyclopedia was published. (Heck, that book even has a page dedicated to the Sam and Friends characters.)

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Disney's got a lot on their plate right now. A new Avengers movie, a new Star Wars movie; their D23 Expo is this summer, which is like Comic Con for Disney fans, and most importantly, Disneyland is celebrating it's 60th anniversary this year as well. I think, more than anything, that's what Disney's going to be focusing their attention on this go around. I'd love to see them celebrate 60 years of Kermit and the gang, but I feel like some news of that would've been out already. But, hey, that's just a theory.
And I know it's not exactly cemented, but I'm all for Kermit's birthday being May 9, only because then that means I'd share a birthday with Kermit the Frog and I think that's incredible.
I was just about to mention the frog myself.

This Saturday, Kermit will be 60! That's right. Just like last year, I will be starting a thread for Kermit's birthday. (check put last year's in case you don't know what i'm talking about)