DreamWorks Animation Shutdown

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So are they shutting down or not? They've got a premium going on with IHOP right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You realize that IHOP pays them to use their characters, right?

They have other studios overseas. They opened up a Chinese facility just before the production of Kung Fu Panda 3. They still have an Indian one and I beleive a Canadian one as well. It's just the US one they're closing because overseas crap is always cheaper. I think they were planning for a cheaper route and closing the US studio anyway but were waiting for an excuse. Those last few movies that did so so (but still made back budget and change) were rope for blame.

Anyway, notice how they randomly pulled completed film B.O.O. off the schedule. They're really freaking overreacting, yet moved KFP3 to January, which is only good for lower than low budget "get the kids out of the house" crap like Gnomeo and Juliet and The Nut Job (but of course, not Strange Magic). Still fail to see why it doesn't get a March release, as it worked well for The Croods and Home.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They have other studios overseas. They opened up a Chinese facility just before the production of Kung Fu Panda 3. They still have an Indian one and I beleive a Canadian one as well. It's just the US one they're closing because overseas crap is always cheaper. I think they were planning for a cheaper route and closing the US studio anyway but were waiting for an excuse. Those last few movies that did so so (but still made back budget and change) were rope for blame.
And they partially outsourced Turbo F.A.S.T.'s animation to Korea, which they've never done until now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if television animation (even though it's for the internet) really counts. I'm sure they outsourced to Korea for Toonsylvania back in the day. Turbo FAST seems to be in a different class from Penguins of Madagascar, Legends of Awesomness and Dragon Riders of Berk, and the 2-D animation was meant to give it a distinct look anyway.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Surprisingly, Dreamworks has cancelled their sequel to The Croods. It was supposed to be released later this year, but was pushed back into next year before ultimately being canned altogether.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/dreamworks-animation-universal-kill-croods-2-sequel-1201916453/

Now if only they can do the same to Shrek and put Me & My Shadow back into production. :sigh:
Some movie called Larrikins got the shaft too, and another movie is in danger because one of their branches in China may be shutting down. HTTYD3 was delayed at some point, I hope it still gets made.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, speak of the devil. Digging around the Internet, I came across this article that seems to suggest MaMS may be resurrected again, this time under the slightly-less-creative name Shadows and with the director of the "Three Flavours Cornetto" trilogy that includes Shaun of the Dead. Hopefully the 2D/3D hybridization that everyone was going crazy over will still be kept.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...med-film-for-dreamworks-animation-122153.html

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A quote from the writer of Shrek 5:

"I finished that script which I really, really, really love. It’s really personal to me. It’s got a pretty big reinvention behind it that I guess I can’t really reveal, but since DreamWorks was sold to Universal in that time for over $3 billion, I imagine they’re particularly interested in it stepping up and actually figuring out the future of the franchise in that way on the corporate level. Reinvention was sort of called for. There [have] been four movies and a lot of material, so the characters are pretty beloved and they’re great characters, but you also have to think of a pretty new take at that point."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Art always suffers as a result of corporate influence.

mr3urious

Reaction score
As long as it can be more in the spirit of the 4th movie which relied very little on pop culture jokes and toilet humor, then that's fine.