No More 2D Animated Films At Disney

Drtooth

Reaction score
They needed a stronger concept than "let's bring the princesses back." P&F was made mainly to add a different ethnicity to the princess line, which exists to sell dolls that completely and utterly become the antithesis of the strong female characters they make into princesses in the first place.

They need something that isn't a franchise and isn't a marketing idea. Look how popular Lilo and Stitch was. High earning movie with 3 DTV sequels (no other Disney movie has that much) a TV series, and 2 Japanese TV series. They weren't princesses, it wasn't a franchise... they need something fun and quirky. Just nothing as drug addled as Home on the Range.

Oh... and it needs a reasonable release date.

It would be great if Lassiter would revolt, but I doubt he will.

Some other company needs to do a 2-D film. Dreamworks was working on Me and my Shadow (it was partly 2-D)... dunno if that's still happening.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like how they're firing half the home video staff because they screwed up the DVD releases and just put the special features all on Blu-ray. No one's going to buy a vanilla disk with just the movie for 20 bucks. They're going to wait for the day when they'll never get a Blu-Ray player and just get everything off Netflix (and all the while, they whine about piracy... which accounts to 0% of potential audiences. Pirates who can't pirate often just do without).
Aren't the most pirated movies the ones that make the most money at the theaters and through legal DVD sales anyway?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't want to get into the piracy bit... but it's an excuse. A lame, shaggy dog excuse. They lose more money through people borrowing movies from friends than they do through pirates. No movie has ever bombed because of piracy. Bad word of mouth and high ticket sales yes... Fuzzy versions of Avengers with Russian subs no. They aren't going to pay for that stuff anyway, so they'll just skip it. or borrow a friend's DVD.

The real problem is that DVD's are obsolete, and while Blu-rays are slightly more common now, it's a fadget that's actually helping to make physical media obsolete. mainly because you need a really good TV for a Blu-Ray player to be worth it over a regular player on a regular TV where you don't know the difference/don't have stereo surround sound.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Just learned about this, even though it's several months old: several Disney animators are getting together to create Hullabaloo, a series of traditionally animated shorts starring an action girl set in a steampunk universe. Funding on Indiegogo initially started off on only one short, but thanks to nearly every stretch goal hit, there are now two more being planned, and with full orchestration to boot. The creators hope to bring more attention to trad. animation and eventually produce a feature-length movie of Hullabaloo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hullabaloo-steampunk-animated-film#home

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still have no idea what in the world Steampunk is supposed to be: several people have tried explaining it to me, but it still doesn't make any sense. What is Steampunk supposed to be?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I still have no idea what in the world Steampunk is supposed to be: several people have tried explaining it to me, but it still doesn't make any sense. What is Steampunk supposed to be?
Steampunk is essentially a 19th century setting with steam-powered vehicles and other gadgets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To paraphrase from Harvey Beaks...

Is Steampunk Cool?

No it isn't. :wink:

But a 2-D animated short about it is.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Whoops, make a mistake there. There are actually four shorts planned, not three. :embarrassed: