Fresh Off the Boat impressions

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also like the jabs at political correctness and fear of frivolous lawsuits the show has overall, which is appropriate as those things started cropping up in the '90s.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, the great subtly in that episode was that assigning Eddie a Country was essentially a DXXXed if you do, DXXXed if you don't case. After all, the mother pointed out that wonderful paradox that assigning him China would have singled him out, but not assigning him China singled him out.

Though you have to wonder, how much easier was it to get Jamaica than China when Eddie could have essentially got his mother/grandmother to give him all the information without even needing to crack open a book?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It is weird how the creator, Eddie Huang is trashing his own show that is doing fine, he was the one who let it be an ABC comedy, he wants it to be dark, and have his arrest records.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would bother watching a dark version of the show about a kid constantly being arrested. Yeah, maybe if it was on cable and played incredibly straight. Even then, it would hardly be MadMen or Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul or anything like that. Girls with a Taiwanese kid maybe? Louie-ish... not really.

Sometimes I do respect the ticked off creators, but sometimes I find them to have their heads up their butts. Like the guy who created Earthworm Jim. I love his work and all, but really?! He hates the cartoon based on EWJ? Dude... look at Double Dragons and Street Figh...NO Mortal Kombat the kid's show. EWJ not only got lucky, but it's the best video game cartoon ever.

As for FOTB, you have a bunch of the most talented people from American Dad. The woman that developed the show for Television was a head writer for Pepper Ann (the underrated, intelligently written ABC kid's series). It's not like this show turned into the ghastly 2000 era ABC sitcoms (yeah, I HATE them, we've been over this, George Lopez was kinda funny though).

EDIT: And why wouldn't anyone be happy that a show about an Asian family might actually break the Minority Show Ghetto? Margret Cho really gotta slap some sense into Eddie here. Look at the crap that went down with her show. Like I said, the sad thing is the only mainstream Asian cast show that had any mainstream success was a certain cartoon about an action star.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would bother watching a dark version of the show about a kid constantly being arrested. Yeah, maybe if it was on cable and played incredibly straight. Even then, it would hardly be MadMen or Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul or anything like that. Girls with a Taiwanese kid maybe? Louie-ish... not really.
I think balancing out young Eddie's rebellious attitude with some of his more positive traits make him a more likable character overall.

Sometimes I do respect the ticked off creators, but sometimes I find them to have their heads up their butts. Like the guy who created Earthworm Jim. I love his work and all, but really?! He hates the cartoon based on EWJ? Dude... look at Double Dragons and Street Figh...NO Mortal Kombat the kid's show. EWJ not only got lucky, but it's the best video game cartoon ever.
Or when Wilbur Awdry, a known lover of the British Railways, complained about the lack of realism in some of the episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine compared to the Railway Series books (for example, one episode depicted a railroad going through a forest with lots of trees nearby, with which Awdry cried foul as sparks from an engine's funnel could trigger a wildfire). Man, if he were alive today to see what the series is like now, he'd apologize like crazy to Britt Allcroft. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thankfully, it managed to reach a broader audience. All American Girl was hammered by the network, which lead to its downfall. That's the minority show ghetto for you. They have to make sure that something meant to relate to a group that's not represented properly can relate to a group that's nothing but pandered to. All the cultural issues that pertain to certain groups gets tossed out the window for flat white friends so white people who weren't tuning in can watch at the risk of ticking off ethnic viewers. That's why I love Blackish and this series. They're not afraid to talk about cultural aspects in very biting ways.

Then you look at the attempts to add ethnicity to white guy shows. Best chance for an Asian cast member is the catty "not too Asian" chick. Wow! Two stereotypes in one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After being fresh off the premiere of the muppets., now it's time for my thoughts on the season 2 premiere of Fresh Off the Boat.

Gotta love how Louis missed all those hidden fees that Jessica warned him about and started freaking out about them just as he got her to learn how to relax on vacation. And I just loved the way Jess fought back against those fees in her own stern, stubborn Asian way. I like how that seemingly negative trait was used in a positive way here. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
HEY! Griz! What are you doing here?

And J.B. Smoov too. And the guy from Big Bang that's always harassing Sheldon and talking like Elmer Fudd.

Loved the use of the "It will never catch on" gag, name dropping the "idiotic idea" at the end of the episode.

Though... this thing takes place in the 90's, right? How come DMX said something about "Carbon Footprint?" That term didn't exist until the midway of last decade.