The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Billy Madison, there's a scene where Billy tells a classmate that the best video game ever is Donkey Kong, and the classmate tells him that Donkey Kong sucks. Billy Madison came out in 1995, a year after Donkey Kong was revived with the Donkey Kong Country series, the first of which was the second best-selling Super Nintendo game. Obviously, Billy was talking about the original Donkey Kong, but couldn't the kid have associated "Donkey Kong" with "Donkey Kong Country"? The movie was likely filmed in 1994, possibly before Donkey Kong Country made its debut, and this could be seen as hilarious in hindsight.

Then again, the kid referred to Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis as the greatest video game ever. Maybe he didn't have a Super Nintendo or didn't hang out with anyone who did and therefore hadn't played the game. Or maybe he preferred Sega over Nintendo.

Though it is kind of funny that Billy Madison considered Donkey Kong to be the greatest game ever. Being a man child, it would make a bit of sense for him to like a modern video game (I know, the majority of gamers are adults), though he was a kid when Donkey Kong became popular. Though I don't think the movie shows any indication that Billy Madison has any game systems (though his father is rich).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Then again, the kid referred to Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis as the greatest video game ever. Maybe he didn't have a Super Nintendo or didn't hang out with anyone who did and therefore hadn't played the game. Or maybe he preferred Sega over Nintendo.
Plus the Sega Genesis version of the game was uncensored if you entered a special code.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've lost another 2GB of diskspace again. Can somebody help me figure out how and why I keep losing diskspace?
Now I'm down to 460GB of free diskspace - this time however, I'm pretty sure it's because I added a small handful of new WORLD'S DUMBEST... clips last night, but can anybody here help me figure out what other possible reasons there are for me to keep losing so much diskspace all the time? Please?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After my post about the "Donkey Kong sucks" scene in Billy Madison, I decided to seek out the clip on YouTube to see if any of the commentors felt the same way, and a number of the comments were about what I was talking about.

And I thought of a few more interpretations of the scene: Regardless of whether the kid's talking about the original Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Country, he could have said that the game sucked because he wasn't very good at it.

Or, if he was referring to Donkey Kong Country, maybe he was just upset that he couldn't have the game (due to not having a Super Nintendo) and just said it was a bad game because he couldn't play it.

I know, I'm thinking a lot about one little scene from the movie, though it is a good scene (though I prefer Donkey Kong over Mortal Kombat), and the writers probably weren't thinking too much about it when they wrote the line.

Thomas Young

Reaction score
I recently read an article which had many You Know What type of facts. Like these...
  • Everyone has a unique tongue print, just like finger prints.
  • The loneliest creature on earth is a whale who has been calling out for a mate for over two decades - but whose high pitched voice is so different to other whales that they never respond.
  • In 1567, the man said to have the longest beard in the world died after he tripped over his beard running away from a fire.
  • The Dutch village of Giethoorn has no roads; its buildings are connected entirely by canals and footbridges.
  • In 2008 scientists discovered a new species of bacteria that lives in hairspray.
  • The largest snowflake ever recorded reportedly measured 15 inches across.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know how Yoshi was introduced in Super Mario World, and at that time, there were only four of them (green, red, yellow, and dark blue)? I was watching Let's Plays of it on YT, and it actually never occured to me that in that game, they all have the same color shoes. All this time, I could have sworn they had different colored shoes from the get-go (green having red, yellow having green, red having blue, blue having magenta), but I'm apparently mistaken.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In this old Cartoon Network promo....

One of the questions asked was, "what would happen if Bugs Bunny took the right turn in Albuquerque?"

Actually, it seems Bugs usually does take the right turn. His catch phrase is "I knew I should have taken that left turn in Albuquerque". By that logic, he took the wrong turn by taking the right turn.

Perhaps the question should have been "what would happen if Bugs took the correct turn in Albuquerque?"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I figured out another reason why Twitter is so pointless: old tweets automatically disappear after a certain amount of time anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now I'm down to 460GB of free diskspace - this time however, I'm pretty sure it's because I added a small handful of new WORLD'S DUMBEST... clips last night, but can anybody here help me figure out what other possible reasons there are for me to keep losing so much diskspace all the time? Please?
Now I'm down to 453GB of free diskspace. I'll look elsewhere for help.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Last night I watched two episodes of The Wonder Years, "Steady as She Goes" and "Just Between You and Me and Kirk and Paul and Carla and Becky", and realize that those two episodes are very parallel to each other. The episodes are back-to-back in order, and they almost feel like a two-part episode.

Some of the comparisons and contrasts:
  • The most obvious is the fact that these are the only two episodes where Kevin and Becky are a couple (unless you count The St. Valentines Day Massacre, where Becky thinks Kevin likes her again).
  • Both have Kevin focused on Winnie. In the first one, he goes steady with Becky just to make Winnie jealous, only to decides he likes Becky at the end. In the second, he's content to be with Becky, but starts becoming interested in Winnie again when Kirk asks Kevin to see if Winnie still likes Kirk.
  • Both have Kevin thinking Winnie is breaking up with Kirk. In the first, it starts as a rumor, only for Winnie and Kirk to get back together. In the second, Kirk suspects Winnie wants to break up, and she confirms that she does, though later she feels unsure.
  • In the first, after it appears Winnie and Kirk broke up, Kirk surprises Kevin by apologizing, which she accepts. In the second, after Winnie confirms she wants to break up with him, Kevin is later surprised to see her kissing him.
  • In the first one, Becky decides to break up with Kevin because it's obvious he still likes Winnie, when Kevin has given up on her, only for Kevin to do what it takes to stay with Becky (though even at the end when they stay together, it almost feels like they aren't fully on good terms with each other). In the second one, Becky thinks Kevin was mad at her and after realizing he had forgotten about her, he breaks up with her on the grounds that he does still like Winnie, and this time gets a punch in the face from Becky.
  • In both, Carla is the one who informs Kevin that Becky's either breaking up with him (though that time she thought he knew) or that Becky thinks Kevin is mad at her.

It's also kind of interesting how they only did two back-to-back episodes with Kevin and Becky as a couple before the break-up. I feel maybe they should have had another episode or two. With Kevin realizing he had forgotten about Becky, I feel that maybe they should have had the two make plans earlier in the episode, to make a bigger deal out of forgetting about her.

It's also interesting how in "Steady as She Goes", he doesn't seem to really like Becky until Becky wants to break up. He started to show more affection for her when he thought it made Winnie jealous, but he didn't seem to fight to keep Becky until he was told Becky broke up because it was obvious he still liked Winnie. It's also interesting how in that episode, when she wants to break up she seems to take it well, but then when Kevin breaks up, she pretty much resents him for the rest of her time on the show (well, except for in The St. Valentines Day Massacre where she thinks he likes her again, and then for the period where she dates Kevin's friend Craig).

And it also seems like Becky Slater doesn't have much personality during the times when she's NOT mad at Kevin. Her personalities fine in her first appearance, but in other episodes where she doesn't resent Kevin she seems kind of dumb. Her being vengeful is a bit more interesting, though it also seems like she's not developed too much there, either (developed might be the wrong word). Of course with every scene having to include Kevin, it can be hard to develop every character well.

And I've realized that in the episode Nemesis, when Winnie is sick and Kevin takes care of her, Becky suddenly chooses that moment to tell everyone (except Winnie) about what Kevin had previously said about them when they were a couple. Did she suddenly remember those things and tell them all? Or was she waiting for the perfect time to use it against him (with Kevin visiting a sick Winnie and getting on her good side, while she wouldn't tell Winnie what he said about her, that would be a good time to give him a little scare).

Also, in Steady as She Goes, the narrator says that Carla Healy was the only woman in Paul's life who wasn't a blood relative. Considering she didn't appear after season three, that is kind of sad. So Paul never got married? It wasn't often Paul was seen in a relationship with another woman, but in the episode Carnal Knowledge he was sort of involved with another girl (and even lost his virginity to her, so clearly she was another woman in his life who wasn't a blood relative). It seems like Paul and Carla sort-of broke up in the episode Make-Out Party, where after Kevin and Winnie have their time in the closet, Carla just walks out, though she doesn't actually say she wants to break up, and her only later appearance was in Moving, where she's shown talking to Winnie and Becky, but Paul never talks about her again (not even in that episode).

And one final thing about The Wonder Years I'd like to talk about is how it seems Kevin and Karen didn't interact often. They did get some interaction in the episodes focusing on Karen, with Brightwing being the biggest interaction between them, and the episode where it's Karen's birthday has a nice scene between them (it's been awhile since I last watched that episode, but I think the narrator even mentions that they hadn't interacted much in a year).