The Nostalgia Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
The funny thing being Mammy Two-Shoes was a progressive character. It was her home any episode she was in, not the maid. In 1940's America, that was HUGE! The character was actually the least outrageous portrayal at the time. But it doesn't carry over well anymore.

Of course, if it's long lost Tom and Jerry media that's truly offensive you're looking for, try 1979 Filmation Droopy cartoons:
Now, I do indeed like Filmation, and appreciate what they've done with a nod to their factory style output choked creativity. I can even defend their Tom and Jerry cartoons as "at least not as bad as The Tom and Jerry/Mumbly/Grape Ape Show or the earlier Gene Dietches," but their Droopy was brutal.

Of course, I never liked how Droopy and the Tex Avery characters were lumped in with Tom and Jerry, and therefore linked to all future projects. I'm not a "this guy is the end all be all" type, but I don't think anyone truly got Droopy other than Tex. I can appreciate what Tom and Jerry Kids tried to do with the characters, but there's still something missing. The one thing I really loved about the frustratingly short lived New Tom and Jerry Show on CN was that Droopy wasn't awkwardly shoved in to any of the cartoons. Even Tom and Jerry Tales managed to do that.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I remember both Dragon Tales and Sagwa. I'm a 2000s kids and proud, :big_grin:. Here is my childhood:

TV Shows:Sesame Street, The Wiggles, Dora the Explorer, Lilo & Stitch:The Series, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Blue's Clues, Dragon Tales, Kim Possible, Zoboomafoo, Between the Lions, Veggietales, The Big Comfy Couch, Spongebob, The Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Phineas & Ferb, The Hoobs, Johnny & The Sprites, Wallace & Gromit, Bump In The Night, Looney Tunes, Peep & The Big Wide World, Kirby:Right Back At 'Ya.

Movies:Lilo & Stitch, Toy Story, Shrek, The Lion King, The Aristocats, Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, Bolt, Star Wars, Wall-E, The Spongebob Movie, Ice Age, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets from Space, Monsters vs. Aliens.

Books:Captain Underpants, Junie B. Jones, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Watsons Go To Birmingham, Shiloh.

Websites:Neopets.
I grew up with most of those shows. I loved The Big Comfy Couch, Veggietales, Johnny & The Sprites, Between The Lions, Blue's Clues, The Hoobs, Dragon Tales, The Wiggles, Dora The Explorer, and Zoboomafoo.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
What's Nostalgia to me might be Ancient History to you.
Early 1970's, here's the complete PBS line-up:
Sesame Street
The Electric Company (not the 2000's remake)
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood
Zoom (not the 90's remake)

For brief stints:
HodgePodge Lodge- learn about nature and different animals
Carrascolendas
Villa Allegre- Spanish appreciation time

Much later came 3-2-1 Contact and Square One TV.
That was IT folks. And in those days before cable, if you got bored with this stuff, you only had SIX other channels to choose from.

And if you STILL bored, you got off your duff and WENT OUTSIDE, and maybe even... climbed a tree!

Call me an old fart, but I still wouldn't trade my childhood days for anything.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
My Childhood Shows/Stuff were:
Disney Movies
Pixar
PBS Kids (2001-2007)
Disney Channel
Playhouse Disney (2001-2010)
Toon Disney (2001-2009, where I watched all my favorite retro 80s/90s DiC and Disney shows)
Jetix (2004-2009)
Nick Jr. (I loved the 90s Face bumpers)
Nickelodeon
Hanna-Barbera
Rankin/Bass (The Christmas specials, Here Comes Peter Cottontail, and one episode of that fairy tale show I keep forgetting the name of anyway)
DreamWorks Animation
Care Bears (only Nelvana and DiC shows)
Popeye (the old 30-50s cartoons only)
The Jim Henson Company (The Muppets, Bear In The Big Blue House, & Fraggle Rock)
Sesame Workshop (Sesame Street, Dragon Tales, & Sagwa)
DiC Entertainment
Looney Tunes
Nintendo
Studio Ghibli (Kiki's Delivery Service & Ponyo only)
Playstation
Cartoon Network
Kids' WB (1998-2005, 2007-2008)
& 4Kids TV (2005-2007)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say 4Kids was dead to me after they stopped showing Ultimate Muscle, but I did like most of their shows up until the end. Turtles especially. But danged if UM didn't make the last 2 years of college awesome.

I miss the Fox Kids network before it slowly turned into "Saban's Cavalcade of dubbed and Americanized Sentai shows." Anyone else love Eek the Cat and Bobby's World? I'm sure some of you did. But then in the late 90's when we got the too good to last, offbeat stuff like Toonsylvania, Mad Jack the Pirate, and Secret Files of the Spy Dogs... that was some good stuff right there. Too bad none of it lasted. At least Toonsylvania had easily breakable toys from a terrible toy company.

And of course, I need to give a shout out to Turtle Pies. Now, look... I'm glad that every TMNT animated series had a line of Pez dispensers, being the huge Pez collector I am. But that awesome piece of junkfood history... gone forever. Sure, you can try and substitute a Table Time Chocolate Eclair pie (at least it has vanilla custard like stuff in it), but nothing's the same. And the worst part is, they don't even need the TMNT license to make these! Sure, the Turtle license made us get them for the stickers and association, but it's just a glazed pie with vanilla custard in it. Call it a slime pie and release them every Halloween. Simple as that. It's like when Hi-C stopped calling it Ecto Cooler. Sure, it wasn't as fun without Slimer on it, but it was still a nice, tangy improvement over their dull Orange Drink. Don't see why they completely discontinued the flavor, though. it was great.

On that note, I also really am disappointed that McDonald's discontinued the McDonaldland cookies. And unlike the other examples, this was done more recently. Like they stopped making and distributing them a couple years ago when they introduced the actual bakery style cookies. They were the best Animal Crackers style cookies there were, and they were only available at McD's locations. Now I see they're selling their brand of coffee in grocery stores and I'm thinking... oh yeah... the coffee. That's what you're selling in stores. Sure. It's not like your coffee is just a drop in a sea, and the only reason anyone gets yours is because they get their breakfast there and you essentially give the stuff away. Errr... yeah. Shame that they never sold boxes of McDonaldland cookies in stores. That was really good stuff. I also remember when I was much younger they had those and minichocolate chip cookies (like Chips Ahoy minis, but they tasted better), and the cookies came in a box the exact same size and shape as the pie boxes.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
BUMP! in the night

Anyways, I'm here to list my entire childhood.

TV Shows:
Sesame Street
The Muppet Show
Fraggle Rock
Dragon Tales
Arthur
The Big Comfy Couch
Spongebob
The Fairly Oddparents
Danny Phantom
Schoolhouse Rock!
Looney Tunes
Tom & Jerry
Lilo & Stitch:The Series
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Kim Possible
Wimize's House
Bump in the Night
Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
iCarly
Drake & Josh
Zoey 101
Peep and the Big Wide World
Paz the Penguin
Wallace & Gromit
Johnny and the Sprites
Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat
Richard Scarry cartoons
Kipper the Dog
Zoom (1999 remake)
Between the Lions
It's A Big Big World
Clay (Remember those cute little Playhouse Disney about a yellow blob of clay that aired in the early 2000s. I sure do, :big_grin:).
Postcards from Buster
Seven Little Monsters
Veggietales
Kirby:Right Back at 'Ya
The Berenstein Bears
Dora the Explorer
Blue's Clues
Little Bill
America's Funniest Home Videos
CatDog
AAAAHH! Real Monsters
The Hoobs
The Wubbolous World of Dr. Seuss
Mopatop's Shop
The Wiggles
Annoying Orange (When I got older)
Fred (When I got older)
Phineas & Ferb (When I got older)
Book of Pooh
The Magic School Bus

Movies:

Follow that Bird
Elmo in Grouchland
Alice in Wonderland (Disney animated version)
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
Home Alone
Little Rascals
The Lion King
The Jungle Book
Robin Hood
Star Wars
Ice Age
Shrek
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Monsters vs. Aliens
Open Season
Muppet movies
The Fairly Oddparents:Channel Chasers (I FINALLY get The Simpsons reference)
Lilo & Stitch
Stitch the Movie
Stitch Has a Glitch
Leroy & Stitch
Mulan
Aladdin
Hercules
Jumanji
Zathura
Muppet Family Christmas (My favorite, :insatiable:)

Video Games:

Mario
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Fate
Fate:Undiscovered Realms
Fate:The Traitor Soul
Fate:The Cursed King
Spore
Spore:Galactic Adventures
Spore:Creepy & Cute
Spore Creator Creator
Spore Hero
Lilo & Stitch:Trouble in Paradise
Lilo & Stitch:stick_out_tongue:aradise Rescue
Blasterball
Blasterball:Holidays
Blasterball:Revolution
Blasterball 3
Crystal Castles
Major Havoc
Otto's Magic Blocks (Anybody remember that obscure game?)
Blackhawk Striker 2
Pokemon
Kirby
Caves & Corridors (A fun little Neopets game!)
Fairly Oddparents:Breaking Da Rules
Spongebob:Nighty Nightmare
Wii Sports
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Torchlight
Dungeon Runners (I miss that game SO much, :cry:)
RuneScape
AdventureQuest
AdventureQuest Worlds
Mugen
Mario Party 8
EverQuest
EverQuest II
The Sims 3

Books:

Captain Underpants
Junie B. Jones
The Watsons Go To Birmingham
Super Diaper Baby
Percy Jackson
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
The Tale of Desperauxx (The movie wasn't that great, :rolleyes:)
Hatchet
Not Fair Won't Share:A Pinky and Blue Story

Websites:

Neopets
Subeta
Old YouTube
Old Wikipedia
Deviantart
Club Penguin
Webkinz
Kermitage, :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you can stand getting the equivalent of 10 vanilla scented candles punching you in your nose, if you get a bag of Birthday Cake Oreos, they almost taste like Dunkaroos.

Almost.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There's a record store (Princeton Record Exchange) still doing booming business right across the street from Princeton University. They sell a ton of CD's and DVD's, but the bulk of their trade is still vinyl LP's.
And their biggest demographic isn't old geezers like me, it's college kids buying these stacks of wax.
Back in the 80's I started collecting records seriously, now I got a few thousand. Records have pretty much fallen by the wayside with the advent of CD's (and MP3's starting to phase THEM out). But it's nice to see younger people getting the same joy I did, listening to music on these slowly-rotating vinyl slabs.

There's a number of jazz titles that still only exist on vinyl, and the scratches and pops are as essential as the music.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I remember watching PBS Kids for hours,just waiting for Sesame Street to come on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, I was there when records were still around in stores, but just at the tail end of it. And three guesses what a toddler wanted in terms of records back then? Yeah. Muppets and Sesame Street and stuff.

When I got a little older (but still young), I realized something. I really didn't like records. Why? Well, a small child can't operate a large stereo record player, so the parents have to do it, and when you want to hear Sesame Street's Letters and Numbers, you have to go and grab your parents to put it on for you. Parents are always busy, so... yeah.

I mean, I had the small Big Bird record player, but I used it a good like probably 3 or 4 times and only with 45's (Sesame ones and book and records).

Then came the absolute freedom of the child's cassette player. Book and tape? Fuhgeddaboudit! You didn't even need to turn the tape over to hear the whole thing. I LOVED that kid's tape player. Loved recording crap on it. Broke a crapload of tapes, though.

But the one thing I REALLY liked when I first got CD's (this was when I was a teenager, that's how long it took to get them) was being able to skip tracks without fast forwarding and rewinding a lot! Same deal with DVD's. I hated watching everything in a row on TV show releases. Especially the Nickelodeon releases that had like 1 Ren and Stimpy or something on it.