The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Harleena

Reaction score
Because we don't have a thread for this, I figured that I'd make one! So, discuss Gumball-related stuff here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show has really gotten dark and sometimes subversive lately. I love it, naturally.

Supposedly, the next episode (which everywhere that doesn't speak English already has got, of course) was so dark they needed to make a complete rewrite. Straight from Ben Bocquelet himself. All that's been leaked on the internet is the Brazilian dub of a parody of the song "Happy."

Harleena

Reaction score
The show has really gotten dark and sometimes subversive lately. I love it, naturally.

Supposedly, the next episode (which everywhere that doesn't speak English already has got, of course) was so dark they needed to make a complete rewrite. Straight from Ben Bocquelet himself. All that's been leaked on the internet is the Brazilian dub of a parody of the song "Happy."
I can't wait for the next episode. Also, the last episode "The Nobody" was a great one. I'm honestly really curious about the Void. Was it the background in that ominous picture at the end of "The Oracle"? Will all of Elmore be sucked up by it? Is this where Rachel is (I know that the staff hates her, but I also know that the fans would love to see her make another appearance)? Why was only Molly frozen in time but not Rob? I'd love to see the show go in an Adventure Time-like direction (just don't make Gumball an angsty jerk who spends all his time moping about girls and hating the fact that he has no arm), with certain characters having a great significance in the much deeper and sometimes darker story.

I'm hoping that either the English dub or French dub of the new episodes are leaked online (or released on TV) soon, because I can at least understand a little bit of French…

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like how the 2nd season put more focus on minor characters along with deconstructing tropes such as "Status Quo is God" (when Richard gets a job and causes a rift in the space-time continuum) and "Karma Houdini" (in the season 2 semi-clip show finale). Funny how in "The Shell" that they ended up subverting the former trope in the end. :smile:

I also like how Anais, despite being a highly intelligent and manipulative 4-year-old, devolves into a typical spoiled brat whenever Daisy the Donkey is in her presence.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, I'd also like to see more of that impressive Chinese Gumball knockoff Miracle Star, if only to see the Chinese counterparts of the other characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love the fact that where other shows have a main character as a jerk, Gumball gets called out on his behavior and even feels bad for it sometimes. Seems that he's deep down a troubled individual, at least that's what "The Society" revealed.

Also, it seems Gumball can be very genre savvy when the script calls for it. I find that refreshing, especially in "The Sweaters" where he calls out every single sports movie (and anime) trope before it happens. And to think, the characters in that episode were almost abstract animal types instead of the brilliant 1980's Japanese outsourced to look American but not quite designs. They really hammered that sports anime cliche gag home.

I also find the touch that, despite not having a job or anything, Richard always wears a tie because it gives him a sense of purpose quite nice. Clearly he's the same goofy dad figure invoked by Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin, but with a level of self awareness. It feels like deep down, he is a bit sensitive that he's a goofy character and a screw up. And Nichole rarely takes advantage of the fact she's the breadwinner of the house and Richard is the stay at home parent. She never vilifies him for it, and gets angry and defensive when anyone else does. There's some really nice touches to these characters that give them a depth beyond most animated sitcom families. I'd say the Watersons and the Belchers are my favorite animated families.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Ever notice that Penny has become a much more extroverted character ever since she literally came out of her shell? Looks like she did that figuratively, as well. :big_grin:

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I love this show. my favorite characters are Gumball, Darwin, Richard, Tobias, Penny (ever since she came out of her shell), Carrie, Rocky, Banana Joe, Alan, and Mr. Robinson.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The frustratingly long wait for the next episode continues, even though Gumball is on the weeknight scheduled (and heavily marketed) and they're like 4 episodes away from a season break anyway.

But if anyone wants a sort of spoilery synopsis of the next episode, Gumball is in a horrible mood and wishes away his family, leaving Gumball to wander the streets alone and go insane.

Yeah. That was indeed the episode they had to rewrite because it was too dark. And this is the light version!! Gumball has had some drastically dark episodes this season from "The Recipe" (the one where they learn the secret of how the toast kid dies and comes back to life, only to play God with it) to "The Safety" (the one where Darwin goes mad from watching a safety video and slowly turns the town of Elmore into a horrifying dictatorship, complete with Darwin's Nazi allegory costume). So you have to ask yourself just how dark was this episode to begin with? Still sounds freaking dark to me. Must've been so dark that not even light could escape. It comes very close to surpassing Adventure Time in pure darkness per capita. And "Friends Forever" was pretty depressingly dark. Had the Ice King in it after all, and those are either incredibly hilarious or soul crushing.

And totally, Gumball is becoming my favorite show on CN (well, after Steven Universe) as a result.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of Miracle Star, Ben Bocquelet on Twitter has said:

Thank you all for introducing me to chinese goat milk Gumball. It made my day.
Had a feeling he had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Meanwhile, this is the only scene that surfaced in the next episode (which everyone got but the US, of course)

Nice twist on the song Happy that goes beyond what a parody of that song usually results. There's a great commentary going on there.