Is there an overrated/underrated Muppet production?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel with the Looney Tunes, no matter what they do, they seem to wind up displeasing die hards one way or the other. Shorts that try to ape the original LT style, shows that keep the LT formula and character personalities as close as they can, and those two...things... that threw the formula out in a cheap attempt to pander to kids which fans rightfully despised. Tiny Toons wasn't as universally beloved back then as it is today. But this is another discussion best left to comparisons between Disney's handling...or any post Jim Handling of the Muppets for that matter and WB's failure to keep LT a long running success.

Misskermie

Reaction score
I'm... I'm just gonna put underrated if that's okay. :embarrassed:

Underrated:

• The Great Muppet Caper: People do indeed like/love this movie, however, when Muppet movies come to mind, I barely hear about this one. Or people say they've never heard of it or something like that. I think its a great movie.
  • Muppets from Space: I hear a lot of people don't like this movie. I mean, besides the fact that there are no Muppety songs, I think the jokes are pretty good. Its Muppety to me, but I still understand why its not liked much.
*Flees from fanpeeps*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do indeed like MFS, but feel that it could have been so much better had it not been for all the bull that went down with it. Troubled production throughout.

But it is a nice character piece for Gonzo, and the new characters really had their time to shine in that film.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can imagine a remake of something like "Duck Amuck" could work well in a style like this.
What I meant in terms of a Duck Amuck-style thing not working in CGI is that it would be weird to see a paint brush or pencil used to torture the animated character if it was done in CGI, and I don't think seeing a moving arrow selecting things to torture the character with would be too interesting.

Unless the brush, pencil, and person torturing the character (and the animators surroundings) were all CGI and the stuff that's supposed to be a cartoon were 2D.

• The Great Muppet Caper: People do indeed like/love this movie, however, when Muppet movies come to mind, I barely hear about this one. Or people say they've never heard of it or something like that. I think its a great movie.

I had always thought this was one of the better-known and better-liked of the Muppet movies, but since the Blu-ray release I've seen quite a few places where people called it underrated or not as well-known as other movies. Of course I also saw a review of the Blu-ray which said the same about Muppet Treasure Island, which I also feel is one of the best-known (and is the third highest-grossing Muppet film).

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
What I meant in terms of a Duck Amuck-style thing not working in CGI is that it would be weird to see a paint brush or pencil used to torture the animated character if it was done in CGI, and I don't think seeing a moving arrow selecting things to torture the character with would be too interesting.

Unless the brush, pencil, and person torturing the character (and the animators surroundings) were all CGI and the stuff that's supposed to be a cartoon were 2D.
Really the point I was making in my previous post is that Looney Tunes in general work well in CG. A "Duck Amuck" esque plot does sound a little more complicated to pull off now that you bring it into perspective. I understand the point you are making, and yes, it is fairly more impressive and fun in traditional style animation, and as much as I'd like to have a bias for traditional, CG has its merits too. The "character vs. mouse cursor" bit has already been done numerous times. The complexities of CG could take the plot to new levels. Or, like you said, there could be a mix of CG and traditional, have any number of things be CG and the other things traditional, i.e. characters, backdrops, tools, objects, etc. Though more challenging, I feel it still could be done and still be entertaining, depending on taste.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Are we just talking about The Muppets here or are we also talking about other Muppet productions including things like Fraggle Rock, BITBBH, Mopatop's Shop and Sesame Street related productions?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Are we just talking about The Muppets here or are we also talking about other Muppet productions including things like Fraggle Rock, BITBBH, Mopatop's Shop and Sesame Street related productions?
I was asking about any kind of Henson production.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
havent seen it yet, could you tell me why?
Well, I couldn't exactly give you a full review but, it has a similar feel to the first three Muppet films (TMM, GMC, MTM), has some really great songs and very much embodies the entire spirit of Sesame Street. I would recommend checking it out. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.