The Steven Universe thread

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to a mini marathon this weekend I'm finally caught up on the invasion by the new Gems.

Now I know who Jasper is. Is Jasper the name of a precious stone/gem?
Seen Ruby and Sapphire. Really liked Garnet's song.
On the hunt for Peridot's escape ship.
Questioning the fusion of Lapiz Lazuly and Jasper, and what name they would have.
Waiting for Garnet and Pearl's fusion and Yellow Diamond's arrival.

Not really interested in the crossover this week, I'm more into the Ninjago Week of the Ninja Season 4 episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Off topic, but I'm glad that CN has Ninjago at a respectable afternoon time slot. I was really hoping that would mean that CN was willing to change their daytime schedule to include more outside shows on weekdays, even if they were just once a week.

Then Robots in Disguise gets the prestigious 6:30 AM on Saturday Slot... yeah... Maybe if Hasbro was a business partner or something like Lego is to WB. Or maybe Lego snarled at them for the early morning Chima time slot or something...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha, yeah... CN's early SatAm lineup consists of Robots in Disguise at 6:30, Sonic at 7 and Chima at 7:30 or viceversa, and Pokemon XY at 8, then they go into repeats of their regular weekday afternoon or "primetime" players from 8:30 AM all the way down to 6 PM when they brake for whatever weekend movie. The sad thing is even I'm no longer watching XY any longer. Not because I stopped being a fan/follower of the franchise, it's just that it's the last entry in any lineup I'd be interested in. Besides, if I'm up and have the TV on at that time I'm usually checking what movie ABC Family has and stick with it if it interests me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
"You know... there was a much better spot for Robots in Disguise on Cartoon Network's line up...BUT I ATE IT!!!"

Darn it, Underbite!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
They do have a better timeslot for Robots in Disguise, at 5 PM on Saturday afternoons.
Yes, Fixit, you're my most favorite Minicon ever!

Uh, that was just a one-time special airing of the first two episodes as an hour-long special.
I might have to rethink my rankings.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Thanks to a mini marathon this weekend I'm finally caught up on the invasion by the new Gems.

Now I know who Jasper is. Is Jasper the name of a precious stone/gem?
Seen Ruby and Sapphire. Really liked Garnet's song.
On the hunt for Peridot's escape ship.
Questioning the fusion of Lapiz Lazuly and Jasper, and what name they would have.
Waiting for Garnet and Pearl's fusion and Yellow Diamond's arrival.

Not really interested in the crossover this week, I'm more into the Ninjago Week of the Ninja Season 4 episodes.
According to the most recently updated version of
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steven_Universe_characters page,

Malachite is the name of the Lapis Lazuli & Jasper fusion.

Other possible future character names that have yet to be seen (unless they're currently developing them for future episodes): Topaz, Emerald, Aquamarine, Onyx, Turquoise, Zirconia, Jade, Agate...

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wanna see a fake, man made Gem called Cubic Zirconia (or however that's spelled) who's tacky, weak, and almost completely useless. :wink:

They do have a better timeslot for Robots in Disguise, at 5 PM on Saturday afternoons.
Yes, Fixit, you're my most favorite Minicon ever!

Uh, that was just a one-time special airing of the first two episodes as an hour-long special.
I might have to rethink my rankings.
You think that's bad? We're only up to episode 3 coming this Saturday. 10 episodes behind Australia! Yet the toys seem to be doing well. At least at the Targets I've been to.

mr3urious

Reaction score
"Say Uncle" was a downright hilarious crossover. It managed to expertly parody the elements of both SU and UG, and the characters from both shows played off each other really well. I especially loved Pearl's exaggerated facial expressions whenever she freaked out over Steven hanging out with Uncle Grandpa, which I don't blame her for. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's almost a shame that CN essentially blew the element of surprise by announcing the thing months in advance. Would have been the better April Fool's prank they intended had they kept it under wraps.

I love it was actually an episode of Steven Universe instead of UG. Also loved how UG said "Don't Worry, it isn't canon." In hindsight, UG helping Steven unlock his Gem Powers pretty much has the essence of both shows, and the result is a lot less of a disconnect than was to be expected. And I'm glad they managed to get Pizza Steve and Gus in there. Oh, and anyone else catch the subtle reference to a certain TVTrope?

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I've never seen Uncle Grandpa before so I wouldn't know how it would fair as a UG episode. But despite that I was able to appreciate this crossover a lot. It was a lot cleverer than I thought it would be, especially with the Gems being weirded out by the fourth wall jokes and the references to the SU fandom (Canon, "OUR SHIP!!", gemsona). Then again, that doesn't surprise me considering most of the crew have a tumblr and know the fandom well. Still, it was really cool they knew their audience well.