SpongeBob SquarePants

C to the J

Reaction score
Believe it or not, this show has won favorite cartoon in KCA for the 12th time. What part of "enough is enough" do they not understand? I was hoping funnier shows, like Wander Over Yonder or Uncle Grandpa, and well-thought-out shows, like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe, would be nominated, but nooooo. The kids went for the show that's been around for almost 16 years, leaving the nominated shows without victory yet again. Nick really should set some rules for this category so the vote's not one-sided. I mean, it's not like the channel will tank if the show takes up less of the schedule.

If the show wins again next year, they might make Spongebob their mascot or rename the channel, 'Spongelodeon.'

Drtooth

Reaction score
Think very carefully...

Nickelodeon's Kid's choice Awards was won by a Nickelodeon show. Not saying that there's a HUGE level of conspiracy there, but rather I don't think CN fans would bother treking over to Nick's site to keep voting for CN shows.

If anything, if TMNT was nominated, that should have won. I love that the show is all over Nicktoons and all, but it seems to only be once a week on their main channel. Considering TMNT action figures are almost constantly selling out, leaving a box or two of Mousers and the odd Dogpound lonely on pegs, I think Nick needs to get rid of one freaking Nicky Ricky Dicky Icky Vicky and Dawn per day to accommodate it.

C to the J

Reaction score
To be honest, I do like TMNT better when it comes to tuning into Nickelodeon. What's odd is that it had more new episodes aired within the past year, and even though Spongebob had just one plus the movie after KCA 2014, it still succeeds. I'm hoping more cartoons, including Harvey Beaks, will be more successful, but what's the point in creating new Nicktoons if Spongebob Squarepants will always come out on top?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing.

While I totally feel that Spongebob takes up waaaaay too much of Nick's schedule, they've really been railing it to their animated shows since the last decade. And for the exact reason you think. TMNT is thankfully around mainly due to toy sales. I was very very worried about the characters when Nick bought them back in 2009, only to be pleasantly surprised by a great TV show and a toyline that managed to have a better balance of character variants and villain characters, something the 2k3 line lacked and eventually was undone by. Suffice to say, while 2k3 was going the comic book route and not putting a crapload of cartoony mutants into the series, Playmates felt that the line needed as many really bad variants of the turtles as possible, while shortpacking anything that wasn't a turtle variant. That lead to poor distribution with some figures being impossible to find while wacky sports Turtles, completely in the WRONG tone of the serious series, pegwarming. Then there was the movie line that took over the cartoon one. Anyway, uh... the new show is not afraid to make mutants serious and silly at the same time, leading to a better balance of characters and even some rare show accurate variants that manage to be fun on their own.

Back to Nick's cartoons, I get the feeling that every cartoon they've produced since the past decade that isn't Spongebob or freaking lucky enough to find an audience, albeit briefly, they wanted to fail desperately since they weren't the hip live action shows that Disney was doing at the time. Even today, you hear more news of live action show premiers than cartoon ones. So Nick either shoved the cartoons to weird hours to sabotage the ratings (El Tigre) or all the sudden decided they didn't want and stopped running, even with a season's worth of episodes left (T.U.F.F. Puppy). All because they couldn't make terrible soundtracks with the stars of the shows singing the most generic pop music ever. Consider Spongebob didn't even become popular for 2 years after the show premiered. It's obnoxious that they feel they need to get a hipper tween demographic with live action shows far more juvenile than the animated series they have.

I'm hoping Harvey Beaks gets an audience. And not the "we love it at first, but it's not a cliche ridden, by the numbers kid com, so...." way. I heard Sanjay and Craig was one of their most watched show. Got renewed to season 3... So they put it on a nice several month hiatus where they didn't even show the reruns (outside of Nicktoons). Yep. That's really how you can tell a show's successful. S&C became one of my new favorites in a short time, and it sucks that, even with high ratings, a bunch of doofy kids doing the same thing doofy kids always did in those sort of sitcoms is considered a higher priority.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
GUYS STEPHEN HILLENBURG HAS RETURNED
Frankly,I'd rather the show ended and Stephen just worked on a new project rather then them carrying on this terrible show. I know what you may be thinking, that the show will be better because Hillenburg is back. But that's not neccessarily the case:You see,Stephen never even wrote that many episodes of the show in the first place and the people who wrote some of the best episodes of the 1999-2004 era-such as C.H.Greenblatt,Merriwether Williams,Dan Povenmire,etc.-have all since moved on. We don't know what position Hillenburg will have on the show but we do know that he will not be the showrunner. That said,we will be having a new showrunner, Marc Cecarelli replacing Paul Tibbitt.

Last edited:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Frankly,I'd rather the show ended and Stephen just worked on a new project rather then them carrying on this terrible show. I know what you may be thinking, that the show will be better because Hillenburg is back. But that's not neccessarily the case:You see,Stephen never even wrote that many episodes of the show in the first place and the people who wrote some of the best episodes of the 1999-2004 era-such as C.H.Greenblatt,Merriwether Williams,Dan Povenmire,etc.-have all since moved on. We don't know what position Hillenburg will have on the show but we do know that he will not be the showrunner. That said,we will be having a new showrunner, Marc Cecarelli replacing Paul Tibbitt.
Even after his official departure in '04, Hillenburg has always still had some inolvement with SB. He's even admitted to submitting script ideas in the past. I suppose he could 'save' the show, but there's really no saying if he actually will.

I get it, SB is a big money-maker. He's joined the ranks of Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. But this show overstayed its welcome years ago. Either end it completely, or just bring it back for the occasional TV special, sort of like what Hanna-Barbera did after cancelling their classic shows.

If SB does end, it should ideally go out with a bang. But that might be wishful thinking. :skeptical:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hey did anyone else know that Adam West is playing Mermaid Man now,I didn't.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Hey did anyone else know that Adam West is playing Mermaid Man now,I didn't.
Actually, Joe Whyte does his voice now. Adam and his old TV sidekick Burt Ward were brought in to play young Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in a flashback episode. Genius casting, I must say. :smile: