Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So the next DVD, Count on Elmo, comes out on July 7. That's three months from now. Interesting.

It says at Muppet Wiki that its main feature will be the Count Tribute storyline. It'll be good to have that on DVD. I wonder if it will be like Elmo's Super Numbers (and Elmo's Music Magic, I think), where inserts are cut into the story to stretch it out to an hour. It would be great if it were to include existing Count segments and serve as a Count spotlight video, though Elmo's name is in the title* and the bonus features don't star the Count (though The Count does appear in Elmo's World: Friendship). I also wonder if it will be a "numbers video", though none of the bonus features involve numbers (and one of them is ABCs with Elmo, so it's the opposite of numbers). If it were a Count spotlight video, why not include Learning About Numbers, Count It Higher, or Elmo Says Boo as the bonus video? And something tells me this won't be an honorary Jerry Nelson tribute release (it would be cool if the bonus features were all segments with his characters).

But either way, I am excited.

*Elmo isn't even featured that much in the street story. I don't remember him doing anything until the end when he impersonates The Count. Telly and Chris are more the stars than Elmo. I hope that The Count at least appears on the cover with Elmo.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something just occurred to me regarding the "Count on Elmo" release: Could it be more of a friendship-themed release as opposed to a Count spotlight video or a number-themed one? The street story involves friendship (The Count's friends all doing what they can to make sure The Count gets his award, and him caring more about friends than prizes), the title sort of suggests friendship (in addition to maybe a pun on counting), and one of the bonus features is Elmo's World: Friendship. Also makes me wonder if the bonus video is actually Making Friends instead of ABCs with Elmo (as both are in the Preschool is Cool series).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think the second volume of Elmo the Musical recently got a wide release. I saw a trailer for it on YouTube recently (meant to bring it up then but forgot), and today I saw that The Muppet Mindset has a review of the video (which doesn't necessarily mean it was just recently given a wide release).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've seen an (I assume) official description for Count on Elmo, which mentions that Elmo, Abby, Grover, and Cookie Monster all secretly nominate The Count, which wasn't in the episode as aired. Assuming this wasn't a big "Cowboy Bebop at his computer" mistake, I guess there'll be more footage for the story. I wonder if they shot that recently for the video release, or if that was shot at the time it was produced and not included in the broadcast version. Or maybe they did shoot then with the intention of including additional footage for the DVD and we just had to wait two years to see it (the linking footage for Being Brave was shot a few years before that came out).

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
You know what? We need AFFS DVDs. Since it likely will be gone next season, it would be good if they put out DVDs of it. Besides, it would be better watching it when we wanna rather than sitting through the same one for the thousandth time. Thankfully, they put an episode on YT and it's the one that's the least shown and has one of only two good Spot bits:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what? We need AFFS DVDs. Since it likely will be gone next season, it would be good if they put out DVDs of it.
I laugh in the face of that hopefulness. :wink:

But yeah. I don't see why more of these segments don't get on DVD or don't get continued sets. I'm sure there's a way they can put the entire collection of AFFS on a disk or two, and I'm really disappointed that there was only one small collection of Ernie and Bert Great Adventures on DVD.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I laugh in the face of that hopefulness. :wink:

But yeah. I don't see why more of these segments don't get on DVD or don't get continued sets. I'm sure there's a way they can put the entire collection of AFFS on a disk or two, and I'm really disappointed that there was only one small collection of Ernie and Bert Great Adventures on DVD.
Yeah. B&EGA needs more DVDs. If Germany can get AFFS DVDs, why can't we?

Drtooth

Reaction score
No. The bigger question is, if Abby's so important to SW's merchandising for Sesame Street, why won't they release it on DVD? Abby was intended as the girl's counterpart to Elmo, a character that can relate directly to them to the point where Zoe, the other character made as a girl's Elmo gets completely overshadowed in merchandising as a result. Elmo the Musical getting multiple volumes is a no-brainer, and obviously don't require any debate. I also understand that at best other characters will usually get a "Best Of" type deal. But Abby's their ace in the hole for little girls, and clearly meant to tear them away from the ever shrinking influence of Dora's crappy show (can you believe she still does the "talk to the audience like they're morons and ask questions in a very specifically non-responsive medium" schtick even when they aged her up?). It's hard to fathom why they don't have any plans to release even some of the Abby's on a solo DVD, regulating them to be bonus features at best. Bert and Ernie I understand. The cartoons haven't been on the show for some time. Though on that note, that would have been an excellent way to make money off of already produced material they spent money on but refuse to distribute for whatever reason. Like I always say, for a company strapped for cash that reuses the heck out of footage, they sure have a lot of unaired in the US cartoons there.