HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank Grod!

The show is so generic and cheap that if it were a cereal, it would come in a bag. Sad to see that's the reason they fried The Millers, which should have stayed on Thursdays (*&%^$in' "Mom") and also not adding an unfunny gay stereotype to the mix when J.B. Smoov was funny enough.

McCarthy's was a bad show. Nothing remarkable other than the joke/laugh/joke/laugh pattern. Taped in front of a studio audience my foot. Unless the studio pumped in laughing gas. Felt like the show was written by a comedy generating machine running at low capacity. Just awful every way around. And poor Laurie Metcaff. She's great in anything else, I loved her story arc in 3rd Rock from the Sun, and even her appearances as Sheldon's mother in Big Bang. She came off flat, just like every other unenthusiastic cast member in the series.

That said, while I don't think Elementary is a bad show at all, it was getting heavily repetitive lately. I lost interest, and then the new season of Archer premiered, so I stopped watching it completely.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm. Apparently, it seems like Matthew Perry's reboot of THE ODD COUPLE is actually getting positive reviews thus far.

I'm a bit surprised, but then again, THE ODD COUPLE has already been adapted and rebooted a number of times already, so I guess it's easy to not really develop a preference for one specific version/adaptation or pairing. Though, again, admittedly, I find Walter Matthau to be a pretty decent Oscar, though Jack Klugman pretty much automatically comes to my mind when thinking of the character; and Tony Randall is Felix as far as I'm concerned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I wasn't going to bother, I wound up catching some of it and was unimpressed. The Felix was a poor man's Niles Crane. I mean, honestly, David Hyde Pierce would have been great in that role, but I only see him playing him in a play revival on Broadway. And Mathew Perry was essentially Mathew Perry, not Oscar Madison. Other than that, it was standard sitcomy stuff that wasn't nearly as good as the original sitcom. It wasn't outright terrible, but it wasn't good either. Maybe it's just that first episode? I don't know or care. It's better than the McCarthy's though. That was just...awful.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, Ellen DeGeneres's new sitcom ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY is getting all kinds of negative reviews and such, but really, for me, it's what she said in one of the promos that irks me.

"It's just like M*A*S*H, but funny."

Okay, brother, those are fightin' words. If she cracked a joke like that but said SEINFELD instead, she'd be dead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really liked Ellen and all, Dory's still a great character and everything... but it seems she's into producing terrible shows lately. She's behind the popularity (fleeting and undeserved) of those obnoxious British girls for one. But you know that awful "Repeat after Me" show on ABC with the undeserved timeslot between Fresh off the Boat and Agents of SHIELD? Her. She also has a bad design show on HGTV. I'm not surprised she's behind a bad sitcom. A shame since her own was considered groundbreaking.

Then again, it's on NBC, so... yeah... I don't expect it to last the season even if it was good.

On a more positive note, Glee's last episode airs tonight without any fanfare and/or promotion! considering this was the big big show Fox had that was so freaking important when it started. Like I've said before, the show started too strong and couldn't support itself beyond that season and petered out. Surprised it lasted this long before getting a mercy dump on Friday Nights. I'm sure the single fan it still has is outraged.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And what is up with so many shows today always proclaiming that they're, "Just like M*A*S*H"? I can understand if medical or war shows claim M*A*S*H is their show's "great-granddaddy", but M*A*S*H really sitcom bars up so high, nobody has been able to top them except for maybe SEINFELD in one aspect (multiple storylines per episode).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And just when we think we've seen and heard everything, MTV is in the process of bringing us a new teen sitcom about incest.

And finally, people besides me are asking if our society has really deteriorated this far that we've come to the point that we're trying to accept this as okay.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And what is up with so many shows today always proclaiming that they're, "Just like M*A*S*H"? I can understand if medical or war shows claim M*A*S*H is their show's "great-granddaddy", but M*A*S*H really sitcom bars up so high, nobody has been able to top them except for maybe SEINFELD in one aspect (multiple storylines per episode).
M*A*S*H* did things that no other sitcom had done before. I'd say the 70's were as great to sitcoms as it was terrible to American animation. Once barriers are broken down, there's not much further things can go. I like how more sitcoms have Cerebus syndrome now, but MASH was the major driving force for that sort of thing. I don't think we'd see anything like it again, nor do we need to.

I've no idea why any sitcom would compare itself to that. Maybe Scrubs to an extent. I don't see the connection anywhere else.

And just when we think we've seen and heard everything, MTV is in the process of bringing us a new teen sitcom about incest.
MTV is by all means dead. No one's buying music in the traditional sense and that's the only reason to have music videos. They still have them on YT, but they're filled with product placement and done on the cheap. Just MTV won't air them. Though, it's sister's sister network Teen Nick has a countdown music video show. Wrap your head around that. So they have to go for cheaper, lousier, noisier, more offensive for offensive's sake programming. Remember the big thing in the 90's was the uproar over Beavis and Butt-Head and how vile and repulsive some found it? That's freaking quaint by now. Remove the fact that they really didn't start any fires, and that one trailer trash moron kid and his equally bottom rung of society mother effectively ruined the show. Now remove the fact they're cartoon characters and the fact the show was making fun of the very same audience that embraced it for the wrong reasons.

That stuff is Mr. Roger's Neighborhood compared to the disgustingness of Teen Mom and Jersey Shore. The only rival in their pursuit of lower than the lowest common denominator is TLC, and technically TLC is worse for hiding under the banner of "educational." As far as a TV show about incest, both MTV's awful programming and hormonal fangirls have removed my ability to be shocked by it. I'm surprised they don't go whole Twincest.

And if they did have a twincest show, for the record, it needs to be about Tomax and Xamot. Seriously... something is up with them...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How and why the Elmo did UNDATEABLE get a second season?!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's not like NBC is knee-deep in thriving television programs save The Voice and their bundle of shows about Chicago. They have to air something to fill the time.