Commercial rant time...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else see that new awful Push Pop commercial with the poorly CGI's cartoon Pushpop that looks like a relative of WIIIIIIIIIIIILD Woody?

yeah... the heck with that one, I tell yah.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Getting back on the subject of anti-bullying campaigns, you know how Jimmy Kimmel always has that segment on his show where celebrities read the mean Tweets people make about them? Funny, right?

Well, apparently one group says it isn't funny, and decided to remind us just how politically sensitive the world is today by doing a PSA in the style of Kimmel's Celebrities Read Mean Tweets by having real kids read mean Tweets other kids make about them - and it's not funny. It's intentionally not funny. It's intentionally maudlin and depressing to see the kids just sit there with gut-wrenching looks on their faces as a fat kid reads a Tweet someone made about his moobs, or a black girl reading a Tweet from someone complaining that they've been labeled a racist just because he/she doesn't like her, or another girl reading a Tweet from somebody telling her that nobody likes her so she should do everybody a favor and kill herself.

I mean . . . :sigh: it just seems to me there are better ways of getting the message across that bullying is not okay. I mean, really, the whole purpose of that segment on Kimmel's show is to show that these celebrities can laugh at themselves by shrugging off negative comments anonymous people make about them (one guy even felt honored that Obama read his Tweet on TV), and it really is all in the spirit of fun . . . but we can't even have this now because of how "politically insensitive" it is. Anytime something like this happens, I keep thinking of that line from SEINFELD: "I don't get it. I'm not allowed to ask a Chinese person where a Chinese restaurant is? Aren't we getting a little too sensitive? I mean if somebody asks me which way's Israel, I don't fly off the handle!"

charlietheowl

Reaction score
But isn't the point of the ad's concept that while the adult celebrities are in a position with their self-confidence and self-worth that the random words of someone online isn't going to devastate them, while for the children, their sense of self is not yet firm enough, making the insults much worse. Plus chances are, the kids are being bullied online by people they have to see everyday in school, not some random dude 3000 miles away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I'm glad this sort of thing came to light, it took them this long!?! Sure, Social Darwinist wannabe jackwagons love to say "derp... well, we're doing them a favor by making them stronger" but the truth is, they just want a cheap laugh through immaturity and stupidity. Not even so much as to assert themselves. Just cheap freaking laughs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, there's a charcoal commercial that makes winter out to be like war.

A man who's wrapped up in his pajamas and an oversized coat is walked over to a neighbor's grill, where he's apparently suffering shell shock (excuse me, post-traumatic stress disorder) over winter, and the neighbors have to comfort him and let him know winter is over and it's now spring.

I hate you all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This isn't so much a rant, but am I the only one who finds that Activia Greek commercial a little annoying?

LADY 1: Oh, I see you're having Activia!
LADY 2: Greek!
LADY 1: Oh, it looks like you're having Activia!
LADY 2: Greek! (Removes hand from the word "Greek")
LADY 1: Oh! Activia Greek!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I forgot I put this in another thread, but might as well put it here. Mr. Bag is hardly the scariest, most disturbing thing to come out of a Rally's/Checkers...

What they did to Rhinox is far more terrifying. Even worse than what Megatron did to him, turning him into Tankor. Obligatory Transformers reference out of the way...

Anyway, my commercial rant? Another regional fast food chain that's not here and has 2 names. Those freaking Carls Jr. commercials where some supermodel somehow eats something they'd never even be in the same room with in real life. Sex sells, everyone is aware, but these commercials do it in a way sloppier than their giant, gross hamburgers. There's sensually eating something and taking huge, disgusting bites out of things. In an attempt to be "sexy," the supermodels taking a gross bite out of a fake burger the size of their head with one hand is absolutely vomit inducing. I'd even go as far as to say it would come off less disgusting if they used hugely fat women, chowing down on these things. Like TLC reality show fat. At least they look like they eat that stuff all the time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This actually isn't a commercial rant, but you know how I've said I dislike these commercials that bring in egotistical actors like NPH to hawk their products by being all, "Look at me, I'm a big celebrity, and I endorse this product because the company treats me like a big celebrity, and if you want celebrity treatment like I get, then get this product, because I'm a big celebrity and I told you to!"

I got to remembering last night that there was an insurance agency (can't remember it) that had that exact same marketing strategy about ten years ago . . . only that did it in a better manner, because rather than bringing in actual "big" and relevant celebrities to rub their egos in our faces, they brought in more obscure, B-list celebrities who really didn't have much going on in their career at the moment to act like they receive special treatment for celebrities. I actually one such commercial had Ryan Stiles acting like automatic doors open automatically for him because he's a "big celebrity," or another had John O'Hurley (J. Peterman) thinking the hotel miniaturized an entire bar just for him. Both were also like, "Even my insurance agent spoils me..."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This isn't a rant either, but I have to admit, I love how put out these explorers are when they see Dora beat them to the South Pole.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This actually isn't a commercial rant, but you know how I've said I dislike these commercials that bring in egotistical actors like NPH to hawk their products by being all, "Look at me, I'm a big celebrity, and I endorse this product because the company treats me like a big celebrity, and if you want celebrity treatment like I get, then get this product, because I'm a big celebrity and I told you to!"
On that subject, the Rob Lowe Cable vs. Direct TV (or whatever) commercials were unceremoniously pulled because of false claims. Before that, they had a negative reaction because they were somehow offensive, probably for saying only losers have cable or something like that. And he full on looked like a pervert in some of them.

Now, I found these mildly amusing. Not really funny, but not bad. Certainly not hair pullingly obnoxious to sit through. What my rant is, how come these were the one that had the huge amount of internet outrage and the same company's "ugly wires" campaign... the one with the horrifying giant marionettes that pretty much says that a human being frequently porks his puppet wife (he has a child in one, another his wife is trying to be sexy passive aggressively)... yeah... how come puppet sex with creepy marionettes doesn't register as offensive but Rob Lowe doing some fine Adam Westing?! Get your torches and pitchforks. THAT's The abomination.