Live Action "Legend of Zelda" TV Show

Are you excited for the live-action LoZ series?

• Total voters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm with you, I really liked Bob Hoskins are Mario, but then again, Bob Hoskins was good in just about everything he did. Still a shame that we lost him . . . but then again, he was already retired because of his Parkinson's anyway.

But Nostalgia Critic did bring up an interesting point: what was the casting agency thinking when they cast a Brit and a Latino as two Italian plumbers? I think they both pulled it off well, though: Hoskins was one of those British actors who could adapt to other accents very well (and he naturally had a very thick and heavy cockney accent, but watching him as Mario, or Eddie Valiant, you wouldn't have known); and not to sound racist, but I find certain Latino groups to bear similarities to Italians.

Dennis Hopper, yes, he really hammed it up as Koopa.

Y'know, if they had the budget, maybe that could've gotten the Creature Shop to create a really awesome looking Bowzer Koopa to be the villain for the movie. But . . . didn't the Creature Shop actually do the Yoshi in the movie? Or was it the Chiodo Bros? Seems like it was one of the two.

And as for YOSHI'S ISLAND, I like the game alright, but the one thing that really irritates me about it is apparently the same thing that irritated and annoyed everyone else on TV Tropes as well... just read the TV Tropes page for the game, and you'll see what I mean.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought Bob Hoskins was a great-looking and sounding Mario, while Luigi looked more like he could have been his son or nephew. And at least Dennis Hopper hammed it up really well as Koopa despite looking nothing like a repulsive reptile ("Why thank you, Princess!").
If I can remember the story correctly, at one point Dustin Hoffman was considered as Mario.

Uh oh...definl'y defin'ly Mario... ohboy...gonna miss Wapner... Yeah, no.

Bob was pretty convincing as a Brooklyn Native. That's our American fiction right there. Something shared in all the cartoon series (..well, unless you count Donkey Kong), the short lived comic book series, and the movie. That's like the one thing they got right. Even down to his incredibly New York girlfriend. They totally should have got another Luigi. He gave an energetic performance, but Luigi, even in the Japanese fiction, is the reluctant, timid brother to Mario's more adventurous nature.

Dennis's Koopa was fine, as was his Lady MacBeth-ish counterpart. But it really feels strange that he had 2 henchmen, one named after a Koopa Kid, one named after a low level mook that only appeared in a couple of stages in SMB3. Still don't know what to think of Big Bertha (fish) being a heavy black woman. Seems that they just pasted on video game names onto random stuff. Only thing they kinda got right was the Bob-Omb. Seriously, there may not have been much to go on, but why turn Mushroom Land into essentially what Robotropolis was (wrong darn video game), but with lizard people from the wrong side of the tracks.

And as for YOSHI'S ISLAND, I like the game alright, but the one thing that really irritates me about it is apparently the same thing that irritated and annoyed everyone else on TV Tropes as well... just read the TV Tropes page for the game, and you'll see what I mean.
There's stuff I essentially like and slightly dislike with that game. Among other things the special level "Kamek's Revenge." But out on a limb, lemme guess... crying baby? That's obnoxious, sure. That's why some of us turn the sound off and listen to some music instead. But the fact that the game canonized Mario and Luigi as Twins born in the Mushroom Kingdom? I greatly dislike that. it seems much less creative than a couple of Brooklyn plumbers following a pipeline to save the princess.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But the fact that the game canonized Mario and Luigi as Twins born in the Mushroom Kingdom? I greatly dislike that.
And that's another thing that gets me too: YOSHI'S ISLAND isn't too hard a game, but like many others, it gets Nintendo Hard towards the end, particularly the final world (I especially hate those where the world pans by itself and you have to keep up with it as best you can)... but when you finally defeat Baby Bowzer, rescue Baby Luigi and the stork, the stork continues on its way accompanied by some really saccharine music scoring, delivers the bros... we have this...

"Our heroes are born!"

Our heroes are born? I'm sorry . . . I know the Mario Bros. are heroes in other games, but not this game. All the Yoshis go through all that crap to reunited Mario and Luigi for the stork to deliver, and the Yoshis don't get hardly any recognition, but Mario and Luigi? Yay! The heroes are okay! Uughhhh...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm with you, I really liked Bob Hoskins are Mario, but then again, Bob Hoskins was good in just about everything he did. Still a shame that we lost him . . . but then again, he was already retired because of his Parkinson's anyway.

But Nostalgia Critic did bring up an interesting point: what was the casting agency thinking when they cast a Brit and a Latino as two Italian plumbers? I think they both pulled it off well, though: Hoskins was one of those British actors who could adapt to other accents very well (and he naturally had a very thick and heavy cockney accent, but watching him as Mario, or Eddie Valiant, you wouldn't have known); and not to sound racist, but I find certain Latino groups to bear similarities to Italians.

Dennis Hopper, yes, he really hammed it up as Koopa.
Too late to edit, but the one bit of acting I didn't like in the movie? The guy playing the king, after he returns to his old self.

And the king, after having spent who knows how long as fungus choking all of Dinohattan thanks to the tyranical King Koopa, was finally restored to his old self, thanks to the heroism of the Super Mario Bros. "I'm back. I love those plumbers," said the king, in the most subdued, droll, and not-even-trying-to-act manner you could possibly imagine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get excited. Apparently, this wasn't true at all

And we can thank Nintendo's stick up their butt for that. The gaming giant has lost ground because it doesn't make enough games fratboys like to play, so rather than trying to make up for it in another media presence, they stubbornly cling to their characters, refusing to give them anything so much as a comic book. And they still claim Pokemon's repetitive anime is the greatest thing ever.

Harleena

Reaction score
Don't get excited. Apparently, this wasn't true at all

And we can thank Nintendo's stick up their butt for that. The gaming giant has lost ground because it doesn't make enough games fratboys like to play, so rather than trying to make up for it in another media presence, they stubbornly cling to their characters, refusing to give them anything so much as a comic book. And they still claim Pokemon's repetitive anime is the greatest thing ever.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry, eat my weight in ice cream, and watch Sailor Moon. I had my hopes up, too…

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boy, they're really begrudging that SUPER MARIO BROS. movie still, aren't they?
To be honest, they didn't even think much of the animated series or Japan's own Mario movie either. What broke them with the SMB movie to the point where they refused any adaptions besides that awful F-Zero series and Pokemon is ridiculous. Mario deserves a comic book adaption at the very least.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
To be honest, they didn't even think much of the animated series or Japan's own Mario movie either. What broke them with the SMB movie to the point where they refused any adaptions besides that awful F-Zero series and Pokemon is ridiculous. Mario deserves a comic book adaption at the very least.
Don't forget Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, although that was good though.
shame the Zelda project's not happening though, I was starting to looking forward to it.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Boy, they're really begrudging that SUPER MARIO BROS. movie still, aren't they?
I feel Nintendo's gonna need to get to over that sometime whether the adaption sucks or not. they can't make money forever, and they've lost a money from the Wii U.