The Rowdy Reviewer thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I have no desire to really see the new episodes, I'm starting to get a morbid curiosity about it.

But that's the beef I have with the more feminine/preschooly side of 80's cartoons. The villains are always much, much better than the heroes. That's not a bad thing, and there are lots of cartoons with better villains than heroes. From Wacky Races/Dastardly and Muttley to the Time Bokan series to Pokemon (which stole the villains from the Time Bokan series...just sayin'). But when it comes to the 80's kids shows, there was always a much bigger swing to the villains than the heroes, and the heroes are supposed to be the highly pure characters we're supposed to take as role models. While I still really dislike Care Bears after I completely outgrew them (and for me to outgrow something speaks volumes), the Nelvana produced ones with Beastly and Shriek were actually...well...watchable. And all because they made the villains entertaining instead of overly dark and one dimensional.

Makes me wonder, though... if Anpanman as an animated series came out just a couple years earlier, somehow I would've seen Nickelodeon have it on their Nick Jr. line up. It's like that show is an American produced preschool 80's cartoon on...I dunno... the usual psychedelic drug reference. I still think it could have fit in perfectly if it didn't come out just before animation trends in the US changed. But then the whole replacement food head thing's a little too trippy for kids over here. But darned if their villain, Baikinman wasn't somehow exactly like Murkey, down to the scratchy high pitched voice. He predates Murkey as a book character, sure... but that was the only thing going through my mind when I rewatched an episode of Rainbow.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It is understandable why "Punky Purists" don't really like the sitcom's animated counterpart, It's Punky Brewster. It follows a lot of standard '80s cartoon tropes such as Punky having a magical comic relief sidekick, along with his powers ripping pages out of the Big Book of Stock Plots (TM). But it's certainly far from the worst animated adaptation to come out of a live-action show or movie.

Oh, and guess what, Drtooth? Rowdy may tear apart one of your least favorite cartoons, Maxie's World! This is gonna be fun! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Animated sitcoms are rarely that good anyway. The ALF series was the exception where it's actually better than the sitcom substantially. There's so much imagination and wackiness without the treacle of 1980's sitcominess. Not that I don't love ALF the sitcom, the animated series had the freedom to be creative. How many cartoons have you seen try to turn Jack and the Beanstalk into a parody of Hitchcock movies?

Hard to believe that's the same animation studio that brought us Madoka Magica!

And thanks for that head's up about Maxie's World. I'm definitely checking that out when it's up. I was going to start an animation blog a while back and tear the heck into the anorexia episode, but I figured, everyone and their entire extended families has an animation blog, so I never bothered with it. Though I did that one YTP based on that episode.

Maybe it's just passive aggressiveness, but Maxie's World is the stupidest freaking thing I've ever had someone defend as a "cartoons aren't as good today" fallacy. There's a reason why MLP, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Pound Puppies, and Jem are always readily remembered as Hasbro's big properties and Maxie just disappeared with the rest of the 80's. Toy was a lame knockoff of Barbie and proved why Barbie didn't have a regular series in that period.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Rowdy also looked at the Dungeons & Dragons series and brought up the "complainer is always wrong" trope that was endemic in '80s cartoons with the spoiled Eric, the one on the team with the most common sense who got crapped on by the universe because of it. Rowdy mentioned how writer Mark Evanier despised that trope that network execs forced upon him and others in that time, and how he pretty much got back at them with "The Buddy Bears" on Garfield & Friends.

Funny how it's because of those reasons that the complainers are the most beloved characters among fans. :smile: