Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Is it really because of Cinderella though? Is it really a popular franchise that people would actually go see it regardless? I would only see it for the Frozen short and walk out right after.
Most of the audience during my viewing of Cinderella didn't even know about the Frozen short. I heard, "What is this?" peppered throughout the crowd.

The short was solid and gives me hope that there's enough substance left to that world for a sequel.

Cinderella. Well, my review is as follows:

This faithful adaptation is beautifully produced and airtight yet it doesn't quite transform Disney's Cinderella beyond her animated roots. I was hoping Branagh would weave in some of the darker elements from the original Grimms’ fairy tale. The cast is superb. Cate Blanchett is wonderfully wicked, Helena Bonham Carter is magical, Lily James is pitch perfect, Richard Madden is absolutely charming and (spoiler alert) his wedding plans work out much better than Robb Stark's. 3/5 Stars

Basically, it's better than Raimi's Oz the Great & Powerful and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. but I enjoyed Maleficent a little bit more. I think Cinderella will give Insurgent a run for its money next weekend. It could top it, but Cinderella will likely drop between $30-40 million while Insurgent could reach 60, but could drop below the 40 mark depending on early reception. I haven't been wowed by their trailers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Most of the audience during my viewing of Cinderella didn't even know about the Frozen short. I heard, "What is this?" peppered throughout the crowd.
Funny thing is that most Frozen fans expected that would have been the draw. There was a joke going around that the theater would be cleared out after it showed, actually.

So, I suppose that there's no cutting of feet to fit the shoe, huh?

While not exactly my thing, I'm glad Disney's been doing well with these new fairy tale movies. Certainly much better than the glorified fan fic television show. BTW, the next one's going to be Beauty and the Beast, and the guy who played Olaf is going to play LeFou. Pretty interesting twist right there. I just hope Gaston is a freaking ham. He was my favorite part of the original movie.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Funny thing is that most Frozen fans expected that would have been the draw. There was a joke going around that the theater would be cleared out after it showed, actually.

So, I suppose that there's no cutting of feet to fit the shoe, huh?

While not exactly my thing, I'm glad Disney's been doing well with these new fairy tale movies. Certainly much better than the glorified fan fic television show. BTW, the next one's going to be Beauty and the Beast, and the guy who played Olaf is going to play LeFou. Pretty interesting twist right there. I just hope Gaston is a freaking ham. He was my favorite part of the original movie.
I never understood cutting one's feet to fit the glass slippers. They're see-through! Haha! But I wanted the birds pecking at the eyes of the stepsisters. That was missing. And it just wasn't quite dark enough for my taste. Still worth seeing. Solid film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When the thing was first announced, I really was hoping both of that would be in there. I bet those weren't in the Into the Woods film either. Those were major plot points... or at least the cut feet was a musical number.

It would honestly be great if this film could crush that mediocre Hunger Games wanna be Insurgent, but it won't. I still don't think it's as popular as they say, and it seems like they're forcing it. Still, enough hormonal tween girls are pretty much required to watch the darn thing. Really hating this movement of mediocre tween lit getting movies. Luckily, most of them do indeed fail. Some barely pass on a low as heck budget and get sequels.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I never understood cutting one's feet to fit the glass slippers. They're see-through! Haha!
Never mind wouldn't the prince recognize that this isn't the same girl he danced with? And I mean, a lot of women have similar shoe sizes, doesn't seem the best way to go about this, lol.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
When the thing was first announced, I really was hoping both of that would be in there. I bet those weren't in the Into the Woods film either. Those were major plot points... or at least the cut feet was a musical number.

It would honestly be great if this film could crush that mediocre Hunger Games wanna be Insurgent, but it won't. I still don't think it's as popular as they say, and it seems like they're forcing it. Still, enough hormonal tween girls are pretty much required to watch the darn thing. Really hating this movement of mediocre tween lit getting movies. Luckily, most of them do indeed fail. Some barely pass on a low as heck budget and get sequels.
Actually it IS in the movie, Into the Woods. As for Cinderella...I have no idea.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Never mind wouldn't the prince recognize that this isn't the same girl he danced with? And I mean, a lot of women have similar shoe sizes, doesn't seem the best way to go about this, lol.
Let's face it. The original story, or at least the Grimm-ish version of it made no sense. It spit in the face of logic. I can't remember what happened in the Chinese version the story was originally based on, so I can't say that it went that far back with the illogical choices.

Actually it IS in the movie, Into the Woods.
Noice! I was afraid that was one of the many things they had to sugar coat to get a PG rating.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They're pretty good about that in the film. He always knows it's her, he just can't find her and sends his army to do the slipper deal.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
They're pretty good about that in the film. He always knows it's her, he just can't find her and sends his army to do the slipper deal.
Well that's something anyway!

For me, nothing can beat the ending of 1950's Cinderella. When she reveals she has the other slipper, and then they immediately cut to the Stepmother's shock. It's such a "**** yeah!" moment! Lol, kudos to the editor for getting it. We need that triumphant moment where we're assured the Stepmother has finally been defeated.

Last edited: