Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm scrolling through the updated headlines at IGN FilmForce's main page to see what's new... And I find that MGM is planning a live/CGI remake of The Secret of NIMH (or The Rats of NIMH), tapping Michael Berg from Ice Age 5's staff to helm/produce/drive the NIMH creative group.

Okay... There's an Ice Age 5? ! ? And someone associated with that will be in control of NIMH? That's the first thing wrong with this project right there.
Secondly... Another remake... Boy, was Agent Jay ever right when he realized the reason why Hollywood keeps making the same movies over and over again.

Thirdly, a live/CGI crossbreed? Ugh, you just want to ruin what was one of the loveliest and most beautifully animated movies of the entire genre.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never think the term remake is appropriate when the original source was a book/novel anyway. I feel it's only really appropriate when they directly lift from the original film. I think there needs to be a new term, "readaption." As in readapting older stories to make a new movie.

But yeah, I don't know what to make of this either. It would be great if they made something that was a more faithful adaption to the book. Other than that, I don't see the point. I wouldn't doubt it's CGI hybrid for a second. As long as it's good, costly, labored CGI and not the typical Garfield floating around on screen type stuff. But it will totally be the latter.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think MGM did enough damage with that DTV sequel from the '90s that wasn't even based off the book's sequel. There's no need to further damage it with a Chipmunks wannabe.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
So I'm scrolling through the updated headlines at IGN FilmForce's main page to see what's new... And I find that MGM is planning a live/CGI remake of The Secret of NIMH (or The Rats of NIMH), tapping Michael Berg from Ice Age 5's staff to helm/produce/drive the NIMH creative group.

Okay... There's an Ice Age 5? ! ? And someone associated with that will be in control of NIMH? That's the first thing wrong with this project right there.
Secondly... Another remake... Boy, was Agent Jay ever right when he realized the reason why Hollywood keeps making the same movies over and over again.

Thirdly, a live/CGI crossbreed? Ugh, you just want to ruin what was one of the loveliest and most beautifully animated movies of the entire genre.
I haven't seen it, but hope it's done right. And speaking of Alvin and the Chipmunks, a sequel is supposed to come out next year, titled "The Road Chip". These movies were a part of my childhood and to me were okay. I did like the third one with the teen who was lost on the island the Chipmunks ended up on.
In other news, they are doing a remake of The BFG (Big Friendly Giant). But before you scream that it's ruined forever, Steven Spielberg's directing it, and Kevin Meaney's going to play a role in it (he's not the giant, though).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say it would be more likely to be a Guardians of Garhool or whatever the crap it was wanna be than a full on Chipmunks one. But totally, the DTV cheapquel did more damage than a full on remake. That was when those were still considered the it thing to do, no thanks to Disney.

I haven't seen it, but hope it's done right. And speaking of Alvin and the Chipmunks, a sequel is supposed to come out next year, titled "The Road Chip". These movies were a part of my childhood and to me were okay. I did like the third one with the teen who was lost on the island the Chipmunks ended up on.
The first movie was freaking lucky. All I can say there. There's no reason or need for it to be 4 movies, especially since the third one made less than its predecessors. The second one was a mess enough. Though I did see some of the third one, and it was the first time in the movie series where David actually showed actual care and affection to Alvin and his brothers. Poor casting of Dave hurt the films for me. Jason Lee's good in most of the stuff he does, he just seemed to grumble throughout the first one and couldn't be bothered in the second. I bet a fourth one's going to just be awful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hoo boy, we have a real live one.

Just when you thought there would be no more sports for dogs to ruin in imbecilic kid's movies, comes another low. Russell Madness (some bad pun on Wrestling as the dog is a Jack Russel)... a dog that can somehow wrestle against large humans and has an obnoxious talking Capuchin Monkey as a coach.

Yeah.

At least it's DTV. Nice to know they have just one exact same plot they keep vomiting back up over and over. I'm sure the slow witted 3 year olds these things are made for don't seem to mind.

Edit: I tried looking it up only to find something called "Rustlemania" so that's probably why they call it "Madness" (as in the state anyone who comes in direct contact with this movie would be in). Either that or WWE would have sued and blocked this piece of crap from existing. Really wish that happened. The world is poorer for this being a thing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Homeward Bound (including its '60s original) still remains the gold standard of these sorts of talking animal movies, namely because these animals don't actually talk (they instead use voiceovers), and that it doesn't try to be like a giant cartoon like Russell Madness.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... WWE should have sued. They've already basically merged with Warner Brothers animation given last year's 21st Scooby-Doo DTV franchise movie, WrestleMania Mystery and the fact there'll be a second movie probably next year. It's things like that and the Muppets appearances that made me cringe as a fan of the respective franchises. Oh well, if anybody needs me I'll probably be at the movies for that day-long MCU Phases 1 & 2 marathon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Homeward Bound (including its '60s original) still remains the gold standard of these sorts of talking animal movies, namely because these animals don't actually talk (they instead use voiceovers), and that it doesn't try to be like a giant cartoon like Russell Madness.
Homeward Bound was a pretty good film and it had a lot more heart than "The Boring Dog who shot Boring Hoops." And even that movie seemed grounded. These are just obnoxious, keep the Kindergarteners quiet ("Kindergarteners love talking dogs") that keep getting cranked out. But by far this one is the most inane concept that proves they're running out of sports. What? No Lacrosse playing giraffes?

I mean, 300 pound muscular guy vs 30 pound dog at best? Best case scenario, that is one flat dog. Especially like how the previews show him basically doing that instinctual snake looking thing that dogs do before they sleep as a pin. There's no logic in this sure, but even then the concept's a complete abuse of "it's for kids, and they're dumb enough to like anything."

Now if it was a cartoon dog in a cartoon wrestling match, I'd be all over it! How come... seriously.. how come talking cartoon dogs are almost always a delight and live action talking dogs make you wanna break something?

Yeah... WWE should have sued. They've already basically merged with Warner Brothers animation given last year's 21st Scooby-Doo DTV franchise movie, WrestleMania Mystery and the fact there'll be a second movie probably next year.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the Flintstones WWE (or more like RRR: Rock Rock-stling Rock-tertainment) crossover. Among other things they haven't even had the Flintstones in so much as their own cereal commercials anymore.

mr3urious

Reaction score
How they've managed to sucker John Ratzenberger and Sean Giambrone (of The Goldbergs and Clarence) into this dreck is a mystery. Is Pixar not paying the former enough or something? And was the latter threatened at gunpoint into voicing the dog?

Drtooth said:
Homeward Bound was a pretty good film and it had a lot more heart than "The Boring Dog who shot Boring Hoops." And even that movie seemed grounded. These are just obnoxious, keep the Kindergarteners quiet ("Kindergarteners love talking dogs") that keep getting cranked out. But by far this one is the most inane concept that proves they're running out of sports. What? No Lacrosse playing giraffes?
And at least the late Michael Jeter had some fun playing the villain in Air Bud.