Eleven Years Later: Disney buys Muppets and Bear

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Now as the muppets are gaining popularity again so Disney do some merchandise but bear gets none because it was not wanted by Disney and noel mcneal told me that Disney will not do anything else with it

Drtooth

Reaction score
MMW made only $1 million more domestically than it cost to produce. That's not good at all. I wouldn't call that "considerably well".
From the company that sank a fortune and lost it on Mars needs Moms and The Lone Ranger. 1 million profit is better than a hundred million loss. Whatever the reason, no one saw it. Then again, the whole Box Office last year domestically was crap. Took GOTG to even break 300 million... all the way until August. I'm guessing MMW looked like "wait for Netflix" stuff because it wasn't loud and flashy enough.

It was a low budget, off season low yield film. I don't think it was that bad a gamble considering they usually have crappy little one off films like Alexander and the etc etc Day, Prom, and College Road trip. Stuff they know isn't going to make a fortune so they can get something out there before the summer blockbuster season. Even then, they have stuff like Prince of Persia that cost a fortune and make less than nothing. Doesn't stop them from making other big budget, live action films.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree that it's a really dumb brand quirk. I'm glad the film makers tried to sneak in as many Henson references as they did. What was baffling was when they had that "Greatest TV Guide" thingy on ABC and they made no short work of saying ALF was a puppet. So, like, it's okay to say someone else's puppet is a puppet? Especially since behind the scenes reports from that NBC anniversary special all the way back said that Paul Fusco was down right obstinate in hiding ALF's puppetness to just as an annoying, if not worse, extent? Really? Singing Pigs and Frogs are real, but an alien that eats cats is too much to comprehend? :rolleyes:

That's basically my only small gripe with Disney's ownership. And given the circumstances, the other companies who were to own the Muppets would have done a much worse job.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then again, as far as Disney Brand quirks go, they're effectively turned a cold shoulder to the Star Wars Prequel trilogy under their ownership. So make of that what you will. All their merchandise focuses on the classic 3 movies, and no complaints were heard.

I'm kinda mixed about how under them most Spider-Man merchandise has to be of the Ultimate variety. It's not too invasive except for the fact that most Green Goblin merchandise is of the mutated Norman Osborn type instead of the classic mask wearing/harlequin looking one. Even in the Marvel Phineas and Ferb crossover, they used those versions of the characters.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Then again, as far as Disney Brand quirks go, they're effectively turned a cold shoulder to the Star Wars Prequel trilogy under their ownership...All their merchandise focuses on the classic 3 movies
No complaints here. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And what truly makes that special is that just before the sale of the characters, those films are exactly what they were marketing, mainly with the 3-D rereleases.

Say what you will about Disney, at least they listened to the complaints better than George did.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Say what you will about Disney, at least they listened to the complaints better than George did.
Disney has its cold hearted side, but they do understand business and marketing.

The prequels exposed Lucas as only one cog of many, as far as what made Star Wars work. It was a team effort. I have no idea about these new films. I'm not thrilled about Abrams, but I do think Disney might be quicker to get the hint than Lucas was.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Disney has its cold hearted side, but they do understand business and marketing.

The prequels exposed Lucas as only one cog of many, as far as what made Star Wars work. It was a team effort. I have no idea about these new films. I'm not thrilled about Abrams, but I do think Disney might be quicker to get the hint than Lucas was.
We can only hope that Abrams is open to working with others like Lucas once was.