The most unbelievably awesome news ever... Ducktales

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember when we were all excited that WayForward had that deal to remake the Ducktales video game and got back as much of the surviving cast as possible?

This is freaking better!

Disney is going to make A FREAKING NEW DUCKTALES SERIES!!!!!!

A FREAKING NEW DUCKTALES SERIES!!!! I... I can't believe it! I mean, sure, I'd rather see a new Darkwing but SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! New Ducktales!

Considering the age of some of the actors, I hope they'll be able to come back and reprise their roles. If not, I hope they have some great recasts in there. I really liked Brian George's Flintheart and Eric Bauza's Fenton/Gizmoduck. I hope they keep them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's a lot of potential for this to adapt more stuff from the comics, especially characters from the comics that DuckTales never utilized. And no doubt Alan Young and June Foray will have re-cast roles considering their ages, which I won't mind as long as they get good replacements.

But of course there will be nostalgia brats whining about how this show won't measure up because of this or that when it hasn't even premiered yet. For better or worse, this new series will at least keep the characters in the public eye.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But of course there will be nostalgia brats whining about how this show won't measure up because of this or that when it hasn't even premiered yet. For better or worse, this new series will at least keep the characters in the public eye.
And hopefully they'll know that there are Scrooge comic purists that felt the same way. I remember reading one completely misguided letter in an old Ducktales comic (published when the show came out) condemning how they dare gave Scrooge McDuck a Scottish accent instead of the incoherent ducky voice Donald and the Nephews had in classic shorts... completely ignoring "Scrooge McDuck and Money," a 50's/60's era cartoon short where Scrooge had a Scottish accent. Decades before the show was even a thing. Not to mention the more coherent nephew voices. Even if you discount the proto-Scrooge like character that appeared in that WW II propaganda film about paying Taxes. Which, I'm still completely confused about. Was it just a weird coincidence, or was there basis in the creation of Scrooge by Carl Barks by that manifestation? Weird. Also, the character's named Scrooge McDuck. Why wouldn't he have a Scottish accent? If it was Scrooge VonDuck, he'd have a German one.

The one thing I would say is that somehow I'd rather a pure Scrooge McDuck cartoon with Donald and the nephews, closer to the comics. As in no Duckworth, Mrs. Beakly, divergent character Beagle Boys, and Launchpad. Maybe even reestablish Flintheart as a South African businessman as Apartheid is over. But that's looking a gift horse in the mouth and being an ingrate. Plus, I'd miss old Launchpad and Fenton.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd like to see Gladstone Gander appear more often, too. He was greatly underused in DT, and was even a more sympathetic and likeable character than in the comics in the only episode which he starred in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looks like here's our first big name whiner.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/pipeline-augies-life-is-like-a-hurricane

Really?!

This sounds like yet another too darn old to be watching cartoons cartoon fan who wouldn't bother to give a show a chance if the producers themselves gave him a free trip to Hawaii, all expenses paid... and that means adult expenses to boot. Just a complete eye roll right there. And Kudos for him bringing up Tiny Toons (hated by animation fans in its day, mind you) and Batman TAS. Like those are totally original comparisons. I severely doubt a new DT show will look anything less than Gravity Falls in terms of quality. Yeah, revivals have sucked in the past. Except that both Tiny Toons and batman are friggin revivals. Oh, and I love the Quack Pack comparison. Really... just... this is the attitude of a schmuck on YT posting the same dittohead comments on an Animaniacs episode. Know why when you're of a certain age everything looks the same? Because that's nature's way of saying you're too freaking old. That's coming from someone over 20 years too old to collect Mixels, but does anyway.

In this comic book obsessed culture, I don't see why a new series can't be better, clinging harder to those roots and giving us more deep, emotional adventures and less 1980's animation syndrome. The inconsistency of great episodes next to rushed out poorer ones. Not that Ducktales was a huge victim of this, but now that we've established more meaningful stories in animation, I'm sure we'd get nothing but quality storylines. I doubt we're going to get anything like a gag series. They're purposely catering to adult animation fans with kids of their own. To think they're going to do anything less than that is laughable This guy's as clueless as the guy whining about Scrooge's already established Scottish accent in that comic.

I'd like to see Gladstone Gander appear more often, too. He was greatly underused in DT, and was even a more sympathetic and likeable character than in the comics in the only episode which he starred in.
It's a shame how underused the Duckiverse characters are in animation. Gladstone did make a small comeback in the form of an in game cinematic in Goin' Quackers...

Of course, he's more jerky, and not voiced by Rob Paulsen here.

Ducktales did give us a taste of that. Gyro, Flintheart, and Magica are all characters that were directly from the comics. The Beagles sorta, as they were divergent characters instead of the army of clones they were in the comics called by their license plate numbers. I'd really love for this new series to tap into more of that. Give Rockerduck as a second rival for Scrooge. Maybe have an episode about Donald becoming The Duck Avenger. Maybe a politically correct version of Bombi the Zombie.

The Duckiverse needs to have an American Fanbase. The comic books can't keep drying up when a license runs out. Other countries have whole magazines devoted to Disney comics based on expanded universe versions of classic characters. We only know Scrooge from Ducktales.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And who's to say the new DT won't use hand-drawn animation? I'd say Disney's TV animation department has been better at providing that with its recent cartoon offerings like Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls, and The 7D, though Titmouse and Mercury Filmworks provide some darn good animation with their Flash/Toon Boom shows. Heck, I'm sure it would be less expensive compared to Star Wars Rebels.

Last edited:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Waaaaaay back when, I watched the original cartoon when I came home from work in the afternoons. Actually, I started watching it after I got hooked on Darkwing Duck. Launchpad was my favorite character, and here he was in another show! And then I got hooked on the DuckTales adventures.

Personally, the series I'd like most to see back on TV is DWD, However, DuckTales is the one that has the greatest chance of success, and I'll be rooting hard for it. If Disney keeps its focus and remembers the Barksian adventures that made it great, it has a real chance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And who's to say the new DT won't use hand-drawn animation? I'd say Disney's TV animation department has been better at providing that with its recent cartoon offerings like Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls, and The 7D, though Titmouse and Mercury Filmworks provide some darn good animation with their Flash/Toon Boom shows. Heck, I'm sure it would be less expensive compared to Star Wars Rebels.
Exactly. It sounds like that person watched like 5 minutes of Wild Grinders at his nephew's house or something. I pick that one because it's the ugliest looking freaking thing on television. Even if Problem Solverz was still on. There is flat Flash animated stuff on television, it's just in a slim minority. Worst case scenario, Neo-Ducktales is animated like the Mickey Mouse shorts. Yeah. That's the worst case. I don't exactly see that, nor would I mind horribly, but I doubt Ducktales looks anything less impressive than Gravity Falls.

I'd say my only complaint about cartoons today is the lack of action comedies outside of Disney's Marvel cartoons and maybe Rebels if you can count it as one. I blame CN for that, but things are getting better with Ninjago and RID. They just need to shake off some of the cheapness and introduce another DC hero series.

Personally, the series I'd like most to see back on TV is DWD, However, DuckTales is the one that has the greatest chance of success, and I'll be rooting hard for it. If Disney keeps its focus and remembers the Barksian adventures that made it great, it has a real chance.
Darkwing's always been one of my favorites period. Favorite Disney show? Favorite cartoon more like. It took me into adulthood to realize why Darkwing Duck is so great. An indecisive genre. Is it a spy show? Is it a Batman-esque comic book parody show? It's both and more. It manage to take down every trope of each, but managed to have a heart while doing it. I'm sure that could be tapped into again, but that indecisiveness was lightning in a bottle. I'd love to see DW back on television, but I agree, Ducktales has a more defined structure of treasure hunting adventures, and Scrooge dealing with balancing a family and career (just like Pinky said!). Plus, there's a lot of comic book history that can be tapped into. I would love to see them dig deeper into the comics mythos.

That said, I'm wondering why if Ducktales Remastered was successful we haven't had another Disney/Capcom video game remake yet. Last thing they said was they were going to tackle Rescue Rangers, which is a far longer game than Ducktales. I kinda wish they went with the slightly shorter, more coherent storyline with Darkwing. Maybe add some extra levels with other villains that got passed up.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Exactly. It sounds like that person watched like 5 minutes of Wild Grinders at his nephew's house or something. I pick that one because it's the ugliest looking freaking thing on television. Even if Problem Solverz was still on. There is flat Flash animated stuff on television, it's just in a slim minority. Worst case scenario, Neo-Ducktales is animated like the Mickey Mouse shorts. Yeah. That's the worst case. I don't exactly see that, nor would I mind horribly, but I doubt Ducktales looks anything less impressive than Gravity Falls.
Yeah, Flash-animated stuff certainly is getting better, more so on the Internet. I'm sure the creators of the new DT will stick close to the Barks/Rosa style either way.

I'd love to see DW back on television, but I agree, Ducktales has a more defined structure of treasure hunting adventures, and Scrooge dealing with balancing a family and career (just like Pinky said!). Plus, there's a lot of comic book history that can be tapped into. I would love to see them dig deeper into the comics mythos.
Even if they stick closer to the comics, they should keep the canon foreigners everyone loves. :smile:

Darkwing's always been one of my favorites period. Favorite Disney show? Favorite cartoon more like. It took me into adulthood to realize why Darkwing Duck is so great. An indecisive genre. Is it a spy show? Is it a Batman-esque comic book parody show? It's both and more. It manage to take down every trope of each, but managed to have a heart while doing it. I'm sure that could be tapped into again, but that indecisiveness was lightning in a bottle.
I'd say Gargoyles was the finest in the Disney TV Animation catalog because of the deep, mature storylines and characterization, though The Goliath Chronicles kinda brought it down.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, Flash-animated stuff certainly is getting better, more so on the Internet.
Flash and Toon Boom are being used as tools. I'd say the frame rate of shows like Star Vs and Wander over Yonder are far higher than traditionally looking shows. That gives them a unique bounce and fluidity. That's not a bad thing at all. But it's shows like Wild Grinder (I have it out for that show for so many reasons, so I'm going to use it as a bad example) and even the newer episodes of Arthur that look really flat and creaky. Arthur is getting slightly better, but compared to Peg + Cat and Wild Kratts (also animated by the same company), it's just stiff.

That said, I've seen a LOT of outsourced cel painted animated shows with really limited animation. And I'm talking the 80's and 90's when most of it was more fluid. Didn't ruin my enjoyment of the shows. Ducktales classic just had a high as heck budget. The Tokyo Movie animated ones managed to capture Bark's style better than the other ones which were more Western and cartoony looking. Somehow, I'd see if another animation studio did that certain episode, Scrooge's tantrum about sea monsters would have been bouncier and more exaggerated, but with a different look to it.

Even if they stick closer to the comics, they should keep the canon foreigners everyone loves. :smile:
I think there's room for both. Donald's clearly going to get the same backseat he did, freeing up Launchpad and Fenton to take his place as in the old series. It would be nice to see more comic book stories and characters (be they recurring or not) expanded into the series this time. I'd love to see a three way battle between Rockerduck, Glomgold and Scrooge. That would be interesting.[/QUOTE]