Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Leave it to me to make this comparison, the eighth seasons of both TMNT and M*A*S*H are a lot alike when I think about it:

- Red Sky marked a darker turn for TMNT, while Seasons 8-11 of M*A*S*H were considerably darker and preachier than earlier comedic and lighthearted seasons.
- Season 8 of TMNT seems to start off okay in spite of its obvious retool, but as Drtooth said, it got really bland really fast; similarly, Season 8 of M*A*S*H started off with an amusing and lighthearted episode, but immediately went into Cerebus Syndrome afterwards.
- In Season 8 of TMNT, Channel 6 and its crew were phased out and eventually disappeared altogether; Season 8 of M*A*S*H had Radar appear in a few episodes leading up to his big departure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
2k12 Baxter seemed pretty vengeful and crazy even before his fly transformation, though this was mostly chalked up to being bullied frequently in his youth.
Supposedly the 2k3 version was too, but to even have known that, someone would have had to have read the Dreamwave side comics. I love how the new series manages to make him a vengeful loser. I wish there would be more instances of him snapping, though. There was that episode where he set up that weird labyrinth to get rid of both the Turtles and Shredder's henchmutants.

I loved the recurring theme of Hun beating Baxter down to less and less of a person in the last series. It was gruesome for a kid's show in retrospect, considering who produced the cartoon.

- Red Sky marked a darker turn for TMNT, while Seasons 8-11 of M*A*S*H were considerably darker and preachier than earlier comedic and lighthearted seasons.
- Season 8 of TMNT seems to start off okay in spite of its obvious retool, but as Drtooth said, it got really bland really fast; similarly, Season 8 of M*A*S*H started off with an amusing and lighthearted episode, but immediately went into Cerebus Syndrome afterwards.
Not to say that TMNT didn't have some bad moments in its prime either. Season 3 has episodes that are either amazingly awesome or utterly unwatchable. I can't think of a really nice thing to say about European Vacation, outside of the one decent episode where they see artwork by their namesakes, only for weird aliens to try and steal them, only for April to fooling them that they're cheap knockoffs. I mean, that one was awesome, but the one where they go to Ireland to stop Shredder from...seriously... turning cute things into threatening things, that somehow makes Bebop and Rocksteady Small and Mikey big and still heroic (inconsistent)... much, much less. Far less.

I'd say that up until the Dregg episodes, the CBS episodes were getting better. I liked that they were giving the series a darker, yet still light hearted compared to the comics, tone. It almost felt like they were going full on Archie. Then came super mutations and Dregg and that bland guy that turned into a Dragon that was only there for a few episodes anyway...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bebop and Rocksteady have officially returned to the show, with the twist that Bebop hates his mutant code name.

But the bigger surprise is, the first animated appearance ever of the Mighty Mutantmals coming next week. Of course, the line up is completely different, featuring Slash, Pigeon Pete, and Leatherhead (the only member from the original comics, even though it's a different version of Leatherhead). Oddly enough, two of the same members from the IDW comic's version of the Mutanmals (Slash and Pete). So... spinoff possibilities maybe? Either way, I'm excited for Slash's return.

Bridget

Reaction score
What I would like to know, is what now with Irma? I mean was she always a Kraang in disguise? And if so can they even bring her back now after revealing that? Its just sort of confusing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
After succumbing to the temptation of catching next week's two part episode on Nick's website early, not only was Irma always a robot, but the Kraang have multiple Irma-bots at their disposal. Not Kraang piloted, though.

Doesn't seem like she's coming back as a separate character, but Kraang Sub-Prime was sure back and in the Irma-bot suit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh.... I think they just killed Donatello in the comic book.

Have to wait a month to see what just happened.

But Bebop and Rocksteady did what their cartoon counterparts never could do. Actually kill a Ninja Turtle.

I'm sure there's some uh... comic book logic that could bring him back to life, right? RIGHT?!

Bridget

Reaction score
Okay random question, I cannot recall the exact episode... but when the turtles were making that car before leaving April's farmhouse, does anyone remember Raphael painting Venus on the car? Is that a foreshadow, or what exactly was he referring to?

Drtooth

Reaction score
After another frustrating hiatus, April 26 will start a series of new episodes. And with it, more mutants. Surprisingly including Muck Man and Joe Eyeball. Seems the episode is going to reference The Toxic Avenger (at least as far as the title goes). Strange connection since the Toxic Crusaders cartoon series was pretty much greenlit as a TMNT clone. One with the same toy company and animation and distribution centers too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So Tyler Perry's going to be Baxter Stockman in TMNT2.

If he can manage to be perfectly egotistically hammy in a 2k3 Baxter sort of way, I'm all for it. It's about darn time Baxter got into the movies since he was cut out of the first one (and completely forgotten the first 4 times as well). Baxter was the hit of the last animated series, as I've said. He's probably my favorite recurring Non-Shredder antagonist in the Turtles series (except that nebbish white guy in the original cartoon before he became a fly), and I'm hoping to see more of him in the second film.