Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only time Vernon wasn't antagonistic to April was the original 5 episode pilot.

Vernon has always been some level of egotistical jerk, which is a shame that Will Arnett, who has experience playing these types (especially Gob) wasn't like that at all in the movie, and came off almost as a disturbingly nerdy 40 year old.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bebop and Rocksteady have made their first appearance at the end of this last episode. Appropriately enough, their toys just hit shelves. And because Rocksteady is a Russian guy this time, Rocksteady's weapons are a hammer and sickle.

And of course they're taking a break after this episode. Great. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's something else that bothers me about Baxter in the 80s cartoon series: if they were going to have Pat Fraley do his voice, why didn't he give Baxter a voice other than one that was almost virtually identical to Krang?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's something else that bothers me about Baxter in the 80s cartoon series: if they were going to have Pat Fraley do his voice, why didn't he give Baxter a voice other than one that was almost virtually identical to Krang?
You know it honestly never occurred to me while watching the series. As long as you see a different character, your brain works it out somehow. Plus the two characters couldn't be more different in personality.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Vernon has always been some level of egotistical jerk, which is a shame that Will Arnett, who has experience playing these types (especially Gob) wasn't like that at all in the movie, and came off almost as a disturbingly nerdy 40 year old.
Was he supposed to be nerdy? I know they say that, but I never got that from the character. I liked him either way. April needed a guy in her corner who didn't mind the Turtles. He was basically fulfilling Casey Jones' role.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As long as you see a different character, your brain works it out somehow. Plus the two characters couldn't be more different in personality.
That is true enough though.
April needed a guy in her corner who didn't mind the Turtles.
That was another thing about Vernon too, it seems like depending on the situation and/or depending on the writer, he either didn't mind the Turtles either, or he too viewed them in a negative light. He especially turns on them in those few Red Sky episodes where the Channel 6 crew were still appearing, acting like it was their fault Shredder blew the building up just because they didn't make it in time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd chalk it up as a plot conveyance to keep him from being egotistical and antagonistic. I don't think he was really in the Casey Jones role, so much as they needed another human character. It's disappointing though that an actor that's famous for jerky, nasty, egotistical characters that wind up making themselves look like fools got a character who in his original form was a jerky, nasty, egotistical character that winds up making himself look like a fool didn't get to play that version of the character.

But it is easier to overlook keeping Eric Sacks in the movie for the sake of the actor. My number 1 complaint right there. Seems if the film didn't cave into complaints about Shredder not being Japanese that close to production, it wouldn't have felt so disjointed right there.

I never liked pre-Fly Baxter in the cartoon anyway. The geeky scientist type from the 1980's that was all based off of Jerry Lewis... yeah. I really hated how that's how Baxter was played, partially in retrospect of the comics and newer cartoon shows. Too subservient and the Coconuts to Bebop and Rocksteady's Scratch and Grounder in terms of Shredder's abuse. But a real milquetoast. Then he turns into a fly and becomes vengeful and crazy, and that improved on the weak character they used.

Comic and cartoon Baxter was always more egotistical, thinking he was the greatest genius of all time for his inventions. I'd say Baxter was the best villain in the 2k3 series, and a highlight of that version overall. His outwardly Starscreamish personality was tempered by the fact that he got into science because his mother wanted him to help others and was so darn proud of him. He even got that amazing banned episode you had to buy a DVD to watch. I do like this series iteration of Baxter, trying to cross the two. Especially since the other villain mutants abuse the crap out of him. Not so much as Hun did last series, but just enough that you know that he's planning something, and then gets smacked down back to a subservient role.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That was another thing about Vernon too, it seems like depending on the situation and/or depending on the writer, he either didn't mind the Turtles either, or he too viewed them in a negative light. He especially turns on them in those few Red Sky episodes where the Channel 6 crew were still appearing, acting like it was their fault Shredder blew the building up just because they didn't make it in time.
I'd have to see that episode (I generally avoid Red Sky, lol). As far as the rest of the cartoon, I did actually like how the Channel 6 crew got used to the turtles being around, even if it wasn't a perfect relationship. I liked the Channel 6 crew in general. They were quirky and ambitious like real reporters. Not the bland, overly serious monologuers we get in certain comic book movies today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Red Sky's not bad until Lord Dregg pops up. After Shredder et al left the series, it got really bland really fast.

Somehow, I think the writers knew they were going to get sacked, and set up a bunch of plot lines as nonsensical and imbecilic as possible to screw over whoever wrote the season after they left. That's like the only way to explain it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I never liked pre-Fly Baxter in the cartoon anyway. The geeky scientist type from the 1980's that was all based off of Jerry Lewis... yeah. I really hated how that's how Baxter was played, partially in retrospect of the comics and newer cartoon shows. Too subservient and the Coconuts to Bebop and Rocksteady's Scratch and Grounder in terms of Shredder's abuse. But a real milquetoast. Then he turns into a fly and becomes vengeful and crazy, and that improved on the weak character they used.
2k12 Baxter seemed pretty vengeful and crazy even before his fly transformation, though this was mostly chalked up to being bullied frequently in his youth.