Questions about anything

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Eugh...

Why do these really heavy set old ladies feel it necessary to walk around the store wearing tops cut too low for them with their cellphones wedged inbetween their melons?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Eugh...

Why do these really heavy set old ladies feel it necessary to walk around the store wearing tops cut too low for them with their cellphones wedged inbetween their melons?
Hey, there are much worse places for those phones to go. :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So in regards to SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy segments, where the clues are really easy and the contestants still get every answer (question?) wrong.... Are these segments supposed to imply that celebrities are stupid or something? It's funny that people are getting obvious answers wrong, but it might have been better if it was just a one-time segment. I don't think all celebrities are stupid (I assume that most celebrities have average intelligence). But then again, I recently saw on the TV Tropes "If it was funny the first time..." page that many recurring segments on the show use the same basic jokes with no real variations and last for years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it has more or less to do with Pop Culture Isolation.

Go to its TV Tropes page, and look at the page image: you see the question regards a certain blue video game character that's pretty easily identifiable, and yet they all got the wrong answers (lol at the lady who wrote "Dankey Kang" . . . I just love Dankey Kang, that's a great game from Tinendo).

I mean, in the case of Justin Bieber, now, I don't know what they teach kids in school today, but as far as the average young person goes today, and with how anti-book society is now, how many young people do you imagine would even be remotely familiar with a literary classic like Tom Sawyer? Heck, when the movie adaptation of THE GREAT GATSBY came out, I was surprised I never heard of it, because my reading courses during my high school years pretty much had me reading these literary treasures. Tom Sawyer? To Kill a Mockingbird? Yep, I read those.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Are these segments supposed to imply that celebrities are stupid or something?
Pretty much, the joke has always been that Celebrity Jeopardy (as opposed to regular Jeopardy) has to dumb things down because actors ain't exactly rocket scientists. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
how anti-book society is now, how many young people do you imagine would even be remotely familiar with a literary class like Tom Sawyer? Heck, when the movie adaptation of THE GREAT GATSBY came out, I was surprised I never heard of it, because my reading courses during my high school years pretty much had me reading these literary treasures. Tom Sawyer? To Kill a Mockingbird? Yep, I read those.
Really depends on the school. We read Huck Finn in Sophomore English class, but obviously talked a lot about Tom Sawyer as well, and Mark Twain's feelings on the character. And we also read The Great Gatsby the same year. But our teachers didn't choose To Kill a Mockingbird; there's just not enough time for everything. Of course, it shouldn't be purely the teacher's job to introduce the classics. Parents have really lowered the bar in that regard.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's true. When it comes to history and such, because most of my time in high school was spent being home schooled and attending various co-op classes, my history lessons were less about typical history that you were normally learn in public school, and more about the history of the world as God created it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
my history lessons were less about typical history that you were normally learn in public school, and more about the history of the world as God created it.
Well that was half my education as well, since I went to Catholic school. You got the spiritual origins in Religion class and secular origins in History and Science class.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is Sonic already pushing their annual summer of shakes when it's still months away from summer? I mean, who wants milkshakes in the dead of winter?

Luke kun

Reaction score
So why was it that when I was seven, I associated the 1970s SS skit where a kid imagined seeing everything in slow motion with the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode "Slowwww Going"? It was probably due to the music sounding slow in the skit and Sonic's voice slowing down in the episode (SAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE YOOOOOOOOOOOOU :laugh:), but I think there was something else.