Eric Jacobson performs Oscar on Sprout's Sunny Side Up Show

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Wow...the voice Eric used for Oscar here sounds a LOT better than I had imagined! If Caroll leaves anytime soon, I sure hope Eric becomes the new Oscar!

Wow, amazing! Eric's voice sounds really close to Caroll's!! I thought no one would be able to pull off Oscar before as well. XD

And you were right, @sesamemuppetfan, just because a previous muppeteer passed on their characters to a new performer doesn't mean he/she should perform all of their characters (I know this is probably just an understudy). :wink: I know Caroll wants to continue performing Big Bird and Oscar for another 5 years (which I'm so astounded about), but I sure as heck am excited for Eric!!
Yeah, I mean, I was pretty surprised when I learned that Matt Vogel has been the new performer for Sweetums since 2009!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope Zoe gets a recast soon too. Nice to see we'll still have Prairie, but she's not as involved in the show as Zoe is. Then again, Zoe seems very personal to Fran, so anything goes. Like I said before, Zoe and Elmo are a great pair. Abby and Elmo have no tension.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Neat! I heard bits and pieces of Sam the Eagle in that performance. I wonder if he was chosen by Caroll to do Oscar, I know that other Muppet performers have done Oscar, but Caroll usually dubbed over it. From what I understand, Matt Vogel was picked by Caroll to take over Big Bird when he wasn't able to.

cjd874

Reaction score
I think Eric has nailed the grouchy character AND the voice that we all know and love so much. I never considered that he could play Oscar at all. But he's filled some pretty large shoes left by Frank Oz AND Jim Henson because he plays Bert, Grover, and Guy Smiley on SST, so Eric seems like a natural fit to inherit an iconic role from another great puppeteer.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would have never known if i didn't read it here first. You could tell the parts where he was lip syncing to Carol's voice tracks and then the parts that weren't he did a wonderful job.

It's nice to know that Carol has someone to take over his roles if he ever decides to leave the show.

AWESOME! GREAT WORK! YEAH FOR ERIC JACOBSON!

DePingPong

Reaction score
Ever since I heard about Eric being the understudy for Oscar I've always wanted to hear his Oscar. He sounds awesome. If I hadn't known that it was Eric I would've thought it was Caroll. Spot on job.

You can tell the difference between Eric and Caroll's Oscar but it's a very very slight difference.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny that he sounds closer to Oscar than he does with his Frank Oz roles. Which are close enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd have to say this is a pretty unexpected understudy. He actually sounds like Carol currently. Slightly lower and a bit more gravelly than when he started.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I said in another thread, this is the most seamless I've ever seen or heard: obviously, whenever a character is recast, they never sound exactly 100% the same as with their previous performers, but they don't need to, the new performers need time to be able to capture the essence of the characters, while making them their own (like Marty did with Telly and Snuffy). Obviously, Eric's Bert, Grover, Fozzie, and Piggy don't sound like Frank's Bert, Grover, Fozzie, and Piggy; Steve's Ernie and Kermit don't sound like Jim's Ernie and Kermit; David's Scooter and Janice don't sound like Richard's Scooter and Janice (though I thought Rickey Boyd came close enough in MOZ); and David's Cookie doesn't sound like Frank's Cookie. And that's all well and good - if they try too hard to imitate their predesessors' performances, then that's why they become, just an imitation of the characters themselves. But Eric's Oscar is absolutely amazing and I don't believe that casual viewers would even notice a difference at all.