Eric Jacobson performs Oscar on Sprout's Sunny Side Up Show

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. For his first few lines, I thought it was Carroll, but I noticed a difference in the voice later on, but yes, I agree, he would be good as the next Oscar, especially since we don't see him interact with Bert or Grover that often, so Eric performing him regularly after Carroll is gone would be easily doable. Still, I'd like to see Carroll continue as BB and Oscar for many more years to come.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think what the Muppet related companies, SW in particular, is pretty smart. Understudies groomed for recasts in case of something happening to the original performers. Especially with irreplaceable characters iconic to the Sesame Street brand. If they didn't, there would no doubt be scrambling to recast characters, leaving huge gaps in the line up. Look how long it took to get a permanent Scooter, and it was someone who has been given some of Richard's characters anyway. Instead, we didn't even have to wait for the next season to see The Count in new footage since Jerry's passing. And as a result, The Count's popularity has remained steady since his semi-revival. This is not a bad thing at all.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Wow, amazing! Eric's voice sounds really close to Caroll's!! I thought no one would be able to pull off Oscar before as well. XD

And you were right, @sesamemuppetfan, just because a previous muppeteer passed on their characters to a new performer doesn't mean he/she should perform all of their characters (I know this is probably just an understudy). :wink: I know Caroll wants to continue performing Big Bird and Oscar for another 5 years (which I'm so astounded about), but I sure as heck am excited for Eric!!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
On Oscar's appearance on the Sunny Side Up a few days ago, Eric played Oscar sometimes lip-syncing to Caroll. Here's the portion where he did the voice all himself. You might wanna turn the volume all the way up and skip to 1:26. I think he sounds pretty darn good.
:smile: Not that I don't believe you, but a buddy of mine insists that's Caroll. Just to clarify for him, are you guys 110% sure it's Eric? I'm a little unsure myself, to be honest. I hear a little of both Caroll and Eric in there. Perhaps a better quality clip would help.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Eric's Oscar, while voice-wise sounds very close to Caroll's, seems to be just slightly less gruff than Caroll. Oscar's signature "Heh-heh-heh!" laff also has a Eric quality sound to it.

Actually, listening more carefully, Eric's Oscar kind of reminds me of Caroll's earlier performances from the first couple of seasons or so.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Loved it! If by chance Eric does perform Oscar after Caroll leaves, I bet he'll do a great job. He sounded just phenomenal.

I got a kick out of Oscar's favorite things, though. Complainin' in the Rain seems like the movie musical all Grouches would love. :fanatic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
:smile: Not that I don't believe you, but a buddy of mine insists that's Caroll. Just to clarify for him, are you guys 110% sure it's Eric? I'm a little unsure myself, to be honest. I hear a little of both Caroll and Eric in there. Perhaps a better quality clip would help.
If you listen very very carefully, you can just make out hints of Eric's voice quality. Hints of his early performances of Bert can be picked up. Other than that, it's almost flawless.