2015 Academy Awards Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Any other year, I would have expected to see crap like Rio 2, but this year they nailed it.
Or worse, Happy Feet. :rolleyes:

Drtooth said:
Also great to see Birdman, a comedy, win so many awards especially best picture. I'm kicking myself for not seeing that film. Or Grand Budapest Hotel. I'm also happy that Boyhood lost. Yeah, I get it. Experimental film about the human condition. The experimental part is admirable, I'll give it that. But the journey through childhood to adulthood is a lot less interesting because everyone has been through that. We have our own stories. That's why most people go to movies about things that can't happen in real life.
Birdman, a comedy, winning Best Picture was indeed miraculous. J.K. Simmons getting the Best Supporting Actor award was great to see, too. :smile:

Drtooth said:
As far as the music selection was concerned, I was about to completely let the fact MMW was snubbed, along with Boxtrolls and Book of Life's offerings until I heard those two lousy songs from two different movies about the same subject. How can there be two "singer follows their dreams" movies (that no one ever heard of or watched) and have them both be nominated? Better question. How can a very mediocre, even for Maroon 5, Maroon 5 song even get nominated? Seriously, both of those songs were awful and proof the Academy doesn't know music from a hole in the ground. At least there wasn't any fakey world music in it this time.
I know what you mean. Those two songs were just really dull.

Drtooth said:
And it really seems that Glory only won because of it making a political statement and they wanted to give Selma something to keep their pseudo-left leaning Hollywood Street Cred. I'm not saying it was a bad song, but considering other songs about that subject, there have been better outside of movies. I'd say at least the Glenn Campbell song had a heartwarming, yet depressing real life context. I'm almost shocked that got nothing. But really, Everything is Awesome was robbed. The performance alone was the highlight of the night. Seriously. The best performed song in an Oscar telecast always loses. Which brings me to...
The "Everything is Awesome" performance was indeed awesome, and it was really heartbreaking to see it lose the Best Original Song award after The Lego Movie itself got snubbed for Best Picture. But at least the victor from Selma was a rather uplifting song compared to the rest of the competition.

And it was great to see Lady Gaga sing that Sound of Music medley. She's much more talented when she's allowed to sing classical songs like that. :smile:

Drtooth said:
Are these telecasts getting duller every year? Neil seemed uncharacteristically nervous when he was simply bombastic during the Tony's. It's like they let him have one song in the production, and that was the most interesting thing they did. And why the heck are the presenters so freaking dry? Kevin Hart at least managed to get some laughs in, but that was it. And why don't they have some animated characters present an award anymore? it certainly would have spiced this one up. At least the animation award wasn't presented as terribly as it was last year. An out of it old actress that probably don't even know what a cartoon is and that insufferable stoner? Did they pass the freaking joint around before presenting? Too bad this year they didn't let Zoe and The Rock do anything funny.
I felt NPH was really good as a host, at least when it came to his opening number and the little bits of self-deprecation. And at least the acceptance speeches didn't go on too long unlike McConaughey's from last year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The "Everything is Awesome" performance was indeed awesome, and it was really heartbreaking to see it lose the Best Original Song award after The Lego Movie itself got snubbed for Best Picture. But at least the victor from Selma was a rather uplifting song compared to the rest of the competition.
I'd say Glory was certainly better than the two "Follow your dreams" generic pop songs that shouldn't have qualified, but it paled in comparison to the utterly depressing yet heartwarming song by Glen Campbell before he was lost to Alzheimers. I'm actually okay with Glory winning, the cartoon fan in me wants Everything is Awesome, but the more I think about it, "I won't Remember You" is just a devastating song, especially given the fact that it's really happening. THAT should have won. But at least those 2 generic pop songs didn't.

Still, It makes me wonder if Glory won on its own merits or the Academy wanted something from that film to win and or to make a statement. Now that I think about it, it was a pretty good song with a nice message. Just not "I'm losing my mind and will soon forget you" good.

But what really bugs me is that the Glenn Campbell documentary should have been nominated instead of the "let's kiss Edward Snowden's butt for being so brave to come out well after Bush left office to blow the whistle on things that 4Chan already uncovered back when everyone was loving the Patriot Act." I get that films will win because of political context, but that's the worst statement to make. Especially after (and I always get on this soap box) the same crowd Boo'd Michael Moore for calling out the Iraq war back when it actually started.

Seriously, Snowden is the Thomas Edison of government leaks. He took credit for what others have done before, and he couldn't be more arrogant about it.

I felt NPH was really good as a host, at least when it came to his opening number and the little bits of self-deprecation. And at least the acceptance speeches didn't go on too long unlike McConaughey's from last year.
I liked him, but somehow he felt both nervous and restrained. He definitely had his strong moments, but you could tell at certain points he just felt overwhelmed and nervous. He slipped his lines a couple times. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the producers put a creative leash on him. I'm glad he got one magic trick in and one number, but it felt like it should have been more. Especially closing the show out. I can't blame him completely. Seems the Academy wants as much fun sucked out of the telecast as possible. But that opening number was very good. Glad they didn't do the tired "insert comedians into movies out of context" bit. I LOVE Billy Crystal. Mike Wazowski's my favorite Pixar character. But even he makes that old hat older than...well... an old hat.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was really impressed with NPH, he was a lot of fun. If we couldn't get Billy Crystal (best host ever), I'm glad we got NPH. :smile:

And I also appreciated the "I Won't Remember You" song. It hits close to home for me, and that should be the job of all these nominees.

I would have preferred Robert Duvall winning (for The Judge to be snubbed that much was ridiculous all around), but I'm glad a Law & Order actor won at least.

The Imitation Game and its actors also deserved a lot more credit.

I didn't see Boyhood, but honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the gimmick. We see child actors grow up every time we watch a long running TV show. Heck, we see it whenever we follow an actor throughout his or her career.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I also appreciated the "I Won't Remember You" song. It hits close to home for me, and that should be the job of all these nominees.
Runs in my family too. VERY, deeply worried for older members of my family. Just lost an Aunt to that one. I'm horrified that my mother is prone to it to. Just disappointed the whole film couldn't have got a nomination, and documentary went to the same social issues and political targets. Having the thing go to polish Snowden's ego certainly didn't help things. I'd say that was the least deserving Oscar win of the night. Luckily we didn't have any hack actors doing that one good role like Mr. Awwrightawwrightawwright did.

Props to them giving the award to someone playing a victim of Alzheimers, but it seems hypocritical to award a portrayal and ignore it actually happening to someone on film.

I didn't see Boyhood, but honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the gimmick. We see child actors grow up every time we watch a long running TV show. Heck, we see it whenever we follow an actor throughout his or her career.
I give it credit for trying something new on film (though those documentaries where they go back and interview people every 7 years beat them to the punch), it just reeks of pretentiousness. Love how after seeing Patricia Arquette win the award, I flipped through the channels to see an ad for her role in CBS's latest "we don't know what the heck computers actually do" series "CSI: Cyber."

Jeez. Cyber sounds like it should be part of a title for Power Rangers 15 years ago.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Runs in my family too. VERY, deeply worried for older members of my family. Just lost an Aunt to that one. I'm horrified that my mother is prone to it to.
Yeah I'm right there with you. It's scary.

I flipped through the channels to see an ad for her role in CBS's latest "we don't know what the heck computers actually do" series "CSI: Cyber."

Jeez. Cyber sounds like it should be part of a title for Power Rangers 15 years ago.
Lol! It does sound like a first draft title or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! There's a sect of people actually whining that Big Hero 6 won and not the Japanese or other foreign animated movie. Yeah, sucks that foreign animation usually gets passed up, but seriously?!?!

Again. Paprika, brilliant friggin' movie, amazing visuals, just beautiful all the way around... not only did it lose to Crappy Feet, but it wasn't even NOMINATED!

Seriously?! Now's the time to whine about this?! I mean, Brave, yeah... it got a pity Oscar... but the entire nominated scope of Animated films (still think Lego was disqualified for the... uh... if you saw it you know) were all great films. If that POS Wizard of Oz thing won, sure... but a GOOD movie won. All of them were good. Any one win would have been great.