Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief"

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This Monday be sure to watch "The Cookie Thief" on PBS Kids, an all-new Sesame Street special. The cookie-munching thriller guest stars Rachel Dratch from Saturday Night Live and celebrates the arts.

Artwork is disappearing from the Museum of Modern Cookies and Cookie Monster is the prime suspect. Can Elmo, Abby and Chris clear their friend’s name? Find out when the new special airs Monday February 16 on PBS in Sesame Street's regular time slot. Check local listings for times in your area.

In addition to being the first Sesame Street special in years, "The Cookie Thief" will also feature the final performance of veteran Muppeteer Fran Brill (Prairie Dawn, Zoe) who has had an incredible career working with the Muppets since 1970. Fran, we thank you for the joy that you've brought to people worldwide for the past 45 years.

If you've seen "The Cookie Thief", please "like" this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was a pretty good special; I can definitely see it getting a DVD release later this year. The skits with Grover were great, I could see the international shows using them as Muppet bits. I liked the songs too; Cookie's song after they were thrown out was nigh-heartbreaking.

I do wish that it had its own intro and credit sequence, instead of giving it the standard SS theme opening.

And the ultimate in-joke: Fran's last line as Prairie is saying she needs to retire.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I missed most of the first half, but this was a good special. I wasn't expecting segments from the show to be included. I guess they couldn't make it long enough. And for some reason, there wasn't an end credits sequence (at least not on my PBS station).

The fact that this special had segments from the show makes me wonder if this would make for a good pledge drive special, since the other Sesame Street pledge drive specials had segments (but they also had celebrity montage songs and this one didn't, unless I missed it and I probably haven't).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do wish that it had its own intro and credit sequence, instead of giving it the standard SS theme opening.
Something tells me it was just part of the package presentation of this special. I bet it gets a proper opening on DVD.

Very good, if a little repetitive. Rachel Dratch stole the show as the guard at the museum. There was a real good balance between the plotline and those great Grover interstitials. Though I thought the Mona Lisa didn't smile because she had a toothace (someone's gotta get that).

That statue Cookie Monster puppet looked weird. It actually resembled the usually inaccurately fur-lacking plush toys somehow. I see they reused that Grover sculpture prop all the way from Global Grover too. And since when do Honkers sing? Nice to see they at least used one old face in the crowds, though.

I don't really have much to say for the filler footage at the end. The Terry Crews Word of the day is further proof he needs to work with the Muppets more often. Nice to see OK Go's bit again, but the real surprise was the finally broadcast in the US Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures Night Watchmen skit. I did see it back on Youtube in Spanish, but this is the first time I've seen it otherwise. Shame it took them to fill out time for a special to see it in show.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Another thing: I liked how the lessons of executive functioning and self-regulation weren't as obvious/heavy-handed as they've been on the show. They were a lot more subtle here.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, so it looks like I was right to leave when Rachael was about to sing a sappy song to Little Cookie as the end of the special.

Lack of proper intro? Yeah, that'll get taken care of in the DVD release, as well as not have the beginning broken off from the rest of the special by the usual Sesame Street commercial sponsors.
Recognized Joey as voicing Leonardo DaCrunchy.
The bits with Grover were a highlight... But I really liked Prairie as the knowledgeable tour guide.
Was that the cookie puppet from Abby in Wonderland as the Cookie Thief?

The whole special gave me a feel of Don't Eat The Pictures crossed with that episode where Mr. Big tried to steal the famed Rainbow Monkey Lisa. Enjoyable, but like "most" SW specials, one viewing is usually enough for me as the repetetive songs would probably steer me away from a multiple watching.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something tells me it was just part of the package presentation of this special. I bet it gets a proper opening on DVD.
I'll be more surprised if they can actually use the opening theme song on the DVD release.

Drtooth said:
Though I thought the Mona Lisa didn't smile because she had a toothace (someone's gotta get that).
Mr. Peabody already did that.

Drtooth said:
And since when do Honkers sing? Nice to see they at least used one old face in the crowds, though.
At the end of A Muppet Family Christmas, during the carol sing, a Honker can be seen singing along with the other Muppets.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The fact that this special had segments from the show makes me wonder if this would make for a good pledge drive special, since the other Sesame Street pledge drive specials had segments (but they also had celebrity montage songs and this one didn't, unless I missed it and I probably haven't).
Yeah. It's nice that those were included. Was the WOTD with the Count and Abby new though? I haven't seen that one before. "B & E's Great Adventures" was probably repeated since that was Steve as Ernie. Plus I recall seeing that one before. Still, it's nice that the segment popped up one more time.

The bits with Grover were a highlight... But I really liked Prairie as the knowledgeable tour guide.
Yeah. It's always interesting to see Prairie's frustration with Cookie's uncontrollable habits. I hope these types of sketches continue with whoever performs Prairie next. Prairie: "I think I'm ready to retire." Nice subtle hint there. The Grover bits are always the best as well. Him and his thousands of jobs. :smile:

I liked the Scooby-Doo quotes as well: "Jinkies" and "Zoinks." All that was missing was. "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling Cookie Monster."

It was the same puppet as "Chewie" in the Star S'mores bit. Only, they added a pair of arms to him.
Plus I recall seeing him in a "Furchester Hotel" ep as well. For a puppet of an inanimate object, that guy sure gets around. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
"B & E's Great Adventures" was probably repeated since that was Steve as Ernie. Plus I recall seeing that one before. Still, it's nice that the segment popped up one more time.
There are many Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures segments that were produced in 2008 and 2009 that still haven't aired on the American version of Sesame Street. I assume that English vocals were recorded back then.