Back To Square One?(The Muppets' 60th Anniversary)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Wonder Showzen was a much better show. While I liked Greg, a lot of the jokes were the same adult pot shot types you see in this kind of thing. Of course, it didn't completely get cancelled since it managed to move to a cable channel, but with a huge format change of movie parodies or something. But something like Wonder Showzen needed cable, even though it was a short run.
I really enjoyed the episode of Greg where they try to revamp the show-within-a-show into something "hip" and "edgy" to try to bring up sagging ratings, only to give the kids in the focus group seizures due to all the flashing lights.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I did like the show, and I kinda wish I got the DVD's for repeat viewing. But I can't help think that the Muppet series they pitched would have been a bad copy of that in terms of humor. Making the original a ripoff of the parody version.

I detest the term "edgy" because it's such an undefined, generic term that's completely meaningless, then somehow gets redefined as "loud, crass humor meant for drunk college age kids in a project they wouldn't be caught dead watching unironically."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wonder Showzen was a much better show. While I liked Greg, a lot of the jokes were the same adult pot shot types you see in this kind of thing. Of course, it didn't completely get cancelled since it managed to move to a cable channel, but with a huge format change of movie parodies or something. But something like Wonder Showzen needed cable, even though it was a short run.
Was that Greg the Bunny show really the same show, or was it a different show with the same characters? After all, TMS, JHH, and MT are all different shows with the Muppets. But on the other hand, I generally consider most of the Scooby Doo shows to be the same show with different titles. Greg and a few other characters were around before the Fox show, on the Independant Film Channel.

I've never watched Wonder Showzen (I didn't have MTV 2 when it aired), but I once saw a promo for the DVDs, and thought it looked like the wrong kind of disturbing (just don't ask me what the difference between the "right" and "wrong" kinds of disturbing are... I can't really figure out my answer myself).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the episode of Greg where they try to revamp the show-within-a-show into something "hip" and "edgy" to try to bring up sagging ratings, only to give the kids in the focus group seizures due to all the flashing lights.
One thing I always found ironic was that that was only the second episode broadcast (though the fourth in production order). The first episode involved Greg replacing Rochester Rabbit as the star of Sweetknuckle Junction, and then right away we get an episode with them changing the format. Though for the new format it looks like they didn't make any chances to Greg's on-screen character (aside from him being billed as "G the B"). It's the kind of episode that should have been saved for a later season (at least the third season), but I'll forgive that, since it's one of my favorite episodes and the show didn't make it past the first season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Was that Greg the Bunny show really the same show, or was it a different show with the same characters? After all, TMS, JHH, and MT are all different shows with the Muppets. But on the other hand, I generally consider most of the Scooby Doo shows to be the same show with different titles. Greg and a few other characters were around before the Fox show, on the Independant Film Channel.
The Independent film channel was the format change. I've actually never seen it, but remember seeing the DVD, and it mentioned film parodies. Suffice to say, it was a different show with the same puppets. Dunno if any of the humans reprised their roles or had cameos.

I'm starting to forget the point I made.

The Fox Muppet show wouldn't have been a good fit, yet we didn't see any TV shows anyway between VMX and MWO either. Not without trying, but Henson was starting their decade of unfinished projects around that time. if they couldn't have sold the Muppets as a regular TV show then, I doubt they would have even got so much as a movie off the ground.

Kinda stinks Disney hasn't got a show off the ground either. They really need to get back into making TV specials. Hopefully ones that have enough time to develop so we don't get the rush job of LTS (all I'm saying, a few more rewrites and editing would have made all the difference) and the really rushy rush job of Lady Gaga CD Release Special with Muppet Segments added in last Minute.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't remember if I've ever suggested this idea, but I wonder if a Muppet high school show would be a good series. It would have the Muppets as teachers, teaching new students (plus Robin and maybe Bean Bunny). Kind of like how Tiny Toons had the Looney Tunes as teachers, though this would focus more on the teachers (the long-established characters) than the students (the new characters). Though have there ever been any high school shows that have plenty of teachers and students AND give them all plenty of balanced focus (TV Tropes points out that most TV high schools only have two active teachers)?

Or maybe it'd be better as a one-time special or a series of direct-to-video projects.

But there are many possibilities for teachers. Kermit could be the principal, or he could teach English (or maybe be a swimming coach). Sam the Eagle could be the history teacher (an American history teacher), or a Government teacher, or a theater teacher (trying to get in more dignified shows), or maybe the principal. Miss Piggy could teach fashion, Pepe could teach Math, Bunsen and Beaker can teach science and maybe audio/visual classes (or Dr. Strangepork could teach one. Or Scooter. Or, in a perfect world, Digit would teach A/V). Fozzie or Scooter could teach computer classes, Lew Zealand or Bobo (or Sweetums) could teach P.E., The Swedish Chef could teach cooking classes in addition to being the school chef (and for extra hilarity, he could be a foreign language teacher), Rowlf could teach music, Gonzo can teach art (and maybe also theater), Beauregard would be the woodshop teacher (in addition to school theater stagehand and janitor, if George isn't the school janitor), Bobby Benson could teach child development, Crazy Harry can teach construction classes... It would be hard to figure out what The Electric Mayhem would teach. Yeah, there's music, and maybe one can lead band classes, but I already listed Rowlf for music, and while there could be other music teachers, I don't think all six members of the Electric Mayhem should teach music, unless some are teaching assistants.

Another option for the principal would be for J.P. Grosse to be the principal, and maybe have Kermit as vice principal (or if Kermit is principal, have Scooter be vice principal). Or the principal could be an unseen character whose voice is heard giving announcements. Matt Vogel could try his best Jerry Nelson announcer voice for this character, and he could be called Principal Nelson. Though The Newsman would also be a good character to provide school announcements. The receptionist can be either Mildred or Janice, and councilors could include Pops, Uncle Deadley, Link Hogthrob, Sweetums, and Walter (or Walter could be Kermit's teaching assistant).