Galavant "Thoughts"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt that it would get a second season even if it were popular. It depends on how many loose ends are settled by the 8th episode. Something tells me it'll be everything possible.

I do like the series and watch it at the risk of missing Brooklyn 99 cuz... really, when the heck do you think they'll be rebroadcast? But overall this thing seems like it would work better as a movie or something. ABC took the right route for this being a minseries. It's far too niche to work as a weekly half hour show. If Better Off Ted couldn't get past 2 seasons, I doubt this would. The family sitcoms are a lot more mainstream. Which is a shame since niche sitcoms usually flourished like one or two at a time.

That said, while I have no other platform to say this, I give huge high marks this week for The Goldbergs not only using the 1980's animated Transformers movie as a plot device, but the fact that they killed off so many Autobots, including Optimus "get used to him dying, kid" Prime was a major plot point.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I doubt that it would get a second season even if it were popular. It depends on how many loose ends are settled by the 8th episode. Something tells me it'll be everything possible.

I do like the series and watch it at the risk of missing Brooklyn 99 cuz... really, when the heck do you think they'll be rebroadcast? But overall this thing seems like it would work better as a movie or something. ABC took the right route for this being a minseries. It's far too niche to work as a weekly half hour show. If Better Off Ted couldn't get past 2 seasons, I doubt this would. The family sitcoms are a lot more mainstream. Which is a shame since niche sitcoms usually flourished like one or two at a time.

That said, while I have no other platform to say this, I give huge high marks this week for The Goldbergs not only using the 1980's animated Transformers movie as a plot device, but the fact that they killed off so many Autobots, including Optimus "get used to him dying, kid" Prime was a major plot point.
That was a hilarious episode. Anyways, ya I have to miss brooklyn 99 as well, but since this is an eight episode series, it probably is worth it since brooklyn 99 also just got renewed for a third season, so I think it is better to watch Galavant, I hope tonight's episode is good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! I was dead wrong. Apparently they were indeed too stupid to just end the thing on the 8th episode and threw in a completely useless plot twist as leverage for another season that probably won't happen. Because instead of learning a lesson from the Neighbors, they'd rather tick off their small audience by ending things on an unresolved cliffhanger. Worst part is, they totally could have solved everything in one episode. But again, complicated and useless plot twist.

Not to say I don't like the show. I found it pretty good and a welcome change from the same lame crime dramas that they kept teasing during the show. But this thing was far too niche to get an audience, even one that doesn't realize the show it temporarily replaced is just a freaking Shrek clone with all the humor and charm drained out. And I TOTALLY freaking mean it this time. The promos for it featured a villain saying something to the extent of "It's time for us to find our happy endings!" ...whut? That's one of the like 8 plotlines of Shrek 3! And what the heck is Cruella DiVille doing there? She's not evil, at least in that way. She just wanted to abduct dogs to make a coat. Hardly the megalomaniacs the rest of the villains are.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Cruella's also not a fairy tale character, so it makes no sense whatsoever to have her there.

I would say it was pretty ballsy of them to end the s(how)eason that way. The AV Club review summed it up nicely: they clearly acknowledge in the ending song what a gamble the show is conceptually and probably wouldn't last, yet didn't wrap up any loose ends. I certainly didn't expect the ending at all. And it didn't cliff-hang end the way "Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous" did; that ending really pised me off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cruella's also not a fairy tale character, so it makes no sense whatsoever to have her there.
Don't think that really stopped them. I failed to see the show's appeal from day one, and now it's sliding further and further down hacky fan fic lane. It's only a matter of time before they put Winnie the Pooh into it, if you catch my drift.

The thing that's annoying about the ending of Galavant is that they really think that cliffhanging anything is going to be leverage for getting renewed. There's nothing wrong with being a self contained miniseries, and I really don't think the concept has enough steam for more than one more hour long episode. And then, only to resolve the situation they left off. And yes. They knew the show was too niche to really get an audience, yet they weren't aware enough to say it's too niche to really be renewed. Which wouldn't be so bad if only they didn't pull the same crap with their last series.

That said, we're beyond the market for niche sitcoms. More of that annoying fickleness TV viewers face. They love to whine and moan about how everything on television is the same, yet tune into NCIS and Two and a Half Men every week. There's definitely an element of "The Firefly Effect" when it comes to niche entertainment. It's hard to get attached when you know something's not going to last. But Niche-coms used to thrive, at least when they came to syndication. You wouldn't see anything the likes of Get Smart these days. Sure, you might get something with a cult audience like Parks and Rec or Brooklyn 99 that keep it going. But anything that's slightly out of reality, at least setting wise, somehow gets met with eyerolls.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
They really thought they were going to get renewed. Though the secret mission song was pretty funny, and Galavant and King Richard are such a great duo, I still would have wanted an ending, and what the heck happened to Sid, what was the point of that, the character has not done much since the first half, and then they just take him away, it seemed pretty random.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Sid never had anything to do really, even with the episode that centered around him. I do like the notion that squires are the 13th century equivalent of interns though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They really thought they were going to get renewed.
I honestly don't think they were, but used a cliffhanger as leverage. Maybe if it had a big enough cult fanbase, they'd get angry and pressure ABC to renew it instead of "Cheap Reality Competition No 654" or "Rotten Summer Replacement Series on the Cheap." I'd say that either the show heads should have just let things lie and give it an ending, or the Network should have brokered a deal for one more week's of episodes to close things down. There is no shame in a self contained miniseries. Closed threads are your friend.

Sigh... if only they had the self awareness of Over the Garden Wall. 5 half hours, a comic book one shot, and Teen Titans Go can still take up 60% of their kid's broadcast day. Everyone wins. Unless you're not a fan of TTG... Yeah, cartoons and sitcoms are different markets and all, but it's the only miniseries that's been around lately.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Galavant got renewed, believe it or not! I enjoyed the first season enough to keep watching more.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm also very happy that Black-ish and Fresh Off the Boat are getting renewed, too! :smile: