Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, about that one episode they decided to hold back to coincide with the return of Downton Abbey? Turns out they're releasing it on a crappy budget DVD like a day later

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Arthur-Fountain-Abbey/20665

Though it can be said that it does come with an upcoming episode that may not air until May. That's the episode about Rattles dealing with children that could be his step siblings. So really not much incentive to get a jump on that one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know I said I was going to sit the rest of the season out, but since such a big deal was made out of "Fountain Abbey," I watched today anyway.

"Fountain Abbey" turned out to be kind of a so-so episode... I guess maybe if I actually watched DOWNTOWN ABBEY, I might have been able to get more out of it, but, eh.

I didn't get to see all of "Arthur Calls It". I loved the teaser that parodied how inaccurate GPS devices can be with directions, causing Bitzi to drive through the country, plow through a field, splash through a river, etc. Hilarious. The rest of what I saw felt like another throwback to earlier seasons and episodes, but Francine's Flanderization was really kicked into high gear in this episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know I said I was going to sit the rest of the season out, but since such a big deal was made out of "Fountain Abbey," I watched today anyway.

"Fountain Abbey" turned out to be kind of a so-so episode... I guess maybe if I actually watched DOWNTOWN ABBEY, I might have been able to get more out of it, but, eh.
From what I've seen of Downton Abbey it's actually a little more accurate than I expected as a parody. Not a huge fan of the series, but I picked up on a couple things. The episode was a little deeper than I thought it would be anyway, even though it's yet another example of slashing and burning what little continuity they had. I'm actually glad it didn't turn out to be a rehash of that other episode about ancestors, even though it clearly contradicts it. Like the kids of this target demo would care, though.

I got to admit, there's an element of old school Arthur in that second one. it's like the episode should have happened over a decade ago. I liked the GPS thing, but that joke's pretty old by now. They were late to the party with that one, but it was kinda funny. I'm very disappointed I saw long nose Muffy profiles pop back up after they finally fixed that last season.

I still call shenanigans on withholding this episode this long. Downton Abby premiered a few weeks ago. The clear goal was to tie this episode in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the Wallbangers on TV tropes starting to get a little.... petty?

I especially like the one that calls out D.W. for crying over the fact she didn't get the toy she wanted for Christmas. I'm sure whoever posted that must've been highly mature for their age at 4 or 5 to actually not get upset that something they're usually told is a given doesn't work out. EVERY kid at a young age had that one thing they really wanted that they didn't get that got them very upset. Happened to me, probably happened to most of the members here. Kids are just not emotionally mature enough at a young age. it's a rite of passage to get upset over that one thing and slowly learn to let stuff like that go. Why poke holes in solid logic? it's far from the brattiest thing she's done.

Then there's another one where they pull apart Arthur's Eyes because kids don't make fun of kids that wear glasses anymore. Yeah. Anymore with stricter bullying guidelines and kids not being complete tools now, yeah you'd be a little more hardpressed to find kids calling each other foureyes. Maybe those who grew up in the 90's only knew of being called gay for no reason. But certainly when Marc was a kid through the time he wrote the book (what is it? 70's and 80's maybe?) kids were totally doing that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't read too many of the wallbangers, however I did recently add my own entry for "Pick a Car, Any Car", because it really astonishes me how Arthur purposely and intentionally acts obstinate when they are looking for a new car at Crosswire Motors, and Arthur intentionally disapproves of every single car they look at simply because he refuses to part with the family car. I mean, in a situation like that, you would think either of the parents would take the kid aside and call them out for their behavior and tell them to straighten up or else. But no, after spending all day at Crosswire Motors and Arthur disapproves of practically everything on the lot, David just simply throws in the towel. There's no doubt that David and Jane are loving parents and all, but sometimes, I just have to call their parental skills into question.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I can sort of understand that, it's clear that both Ed Crosswire (friendship be darned) and the mechanic were looking to royally screw over the Reads. Arthur does have a deeply personal attachment to the car, and while his behavior wasn't exactly easygoing here, and really doesn't want to see it go. major changes like that don't sit well with kids even Arthur's age. In conjunction with the fact that if the parents had their way, they'd probably get into a huge argument over which kind they wanted. Letting it be a unanimous decision was, at least to the parents, a safe buffer. If their imagine spots were any indication that is. Not that they wouldn't chose something more practical anyway.

Actually, I like the fact it's the exact opposite of a "The complainer is always wrong" storyline.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So get this, apparently in an upcoming episode, they're resurrecting a concept that was first written into the show twelve years ago that was retconned and forgotten about immediately afterwards:

Mr. Morris is retired in New Mexico again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And apparently Martin Spivak is a real character and will also be appearing too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's just awesome right there.

So get this, apparently in an upcoming episode, they're resurrecting a concept that was first written into the show twelve years ago that was retconned and forgotten about immediately afterwards:

Mr. Morris is retired in New Mexico again.
Eh, Arthur lives in an unstable time loop. What more can I say?