Most Obnoxious Fandoms

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah, but most fanbases have that. They're one of the notable examples and the most vitriolic fans and detractors are remarkably horrible. I love the Bob's Burgers episode about the Equestricals. Most of them were nice and just wanted a fun escape, but one of them was a bully, pushing everyone around and scamming little kids out of toys meant for them. And Teddy was just ticked off that it has a male fanbase that ruined the franchise. That was some real involved details right there.
Dan Mintz (the writer) could have made it just 22 minutes of essentially saying "MLP sucks and its entire fanbase is nothing but a bunch of autistic pedophiles", but it's restricted to playful jabs at the franchise ("Oh my God, why am I analyzing this show!?"). I applauded at how even-handed that episode was. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And frankly, he came up with an even better version of the show to boot! Parodies of that kind of show always get it wrong. Especially Teen Titans Go, and you'd think they know better since Tara Strong is there.

Anyway, to the point that member brought, you can't just hate a fanbase because you hate the product. I've never been huge on Power Rangers, but at a certain point, I respected how large and involved their fanbase is.

It would seem I'm being hypocritical about how much I can't stand that Alpha Omega has a fanbase, but...well... normally I HATE the word "apologist," as it's the most elitist, snobbish way of saying "Duh, you being stupid, I are much smarterer." But there's no other word to describe supporters of such a poorly done movie. Read the YMMV page on TV Tropes about it. Every time there's a negative mention, it's punctuated with "it has quite a fanbase." I swear there used to be a Fan Dumb entry on there. The fans persecute anyone who dares tell them their movie was an awful, cheap throwaway, and said fans persecute each other for not liking the even worse sequels! And usually by putting up cheap screenshots with Comic Sans scribbled on it on DA.

Harleena

Reaction score
All the talk about obnoxious anime fans is making me really nervous to go to my first anime convention this spring. I can already picture what will happen:
  • My friend (we'll call her Miyako) will cosplay as Chii from Chobits. I don't really know much about this anime, but I'll add a picture for reference. Since my friend is African-American, some stupid weeb will be all like "ZOMG U CANT BE CHII CUZ UR NOT WHITE U BAKA GAIJIN!". Then, everything will be completely awkward for everyone.
  • My other friend (we'll call him Ivan) will cosplay as…gosh, I can't remember what he told me. But he'll inevitably get glomped by some crazy Belarus cosplayer.
  • I will cosplay as someone from either Pokemon or Sailor Moon. Some pervert will get too close, and I'll be to scared to ever go to another convention again.
Here's a picture of Chii:

And proof that you can have any skin color and still cosplay:

(Miyuukihime as Anna from Frozen)

(Unknown as Raven from Teen Titans; photo by Elite Cosplay)

(figarafox as Sailor Jupiter from Sailor Moon)

(figarafox as Lucina from Fire Emblem)

(Angelus Art as Sailor Moon; photo by Egon Spengler)

(Unknown as Queen Serenity from Sailor Moon)

(Unknown as Korra from Legend of Korra)
http://cosplayingwhileblack.tumblr.com
IF ANYONE HAS SURVIVAL TIPS FOR AN ANIME CONVENTION, PLEASE TELL ME! I'D LIKE TO HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE THERE!

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
All the talk about obnoxious anime fans is making me really nervous to go to my first anime convention this spring. I can already picture what will happen:
  • My friend (we'll call her Miyako) will cosplay as Chii from Chobits. I don't really know much about this anime, but I'll add a picture for reference. Since my friend is African-American, some stupid weeb will be all like "ZOMG U CANT BE CHII CUZ UR NOT WHITE U BAKA GAIJIN!". Then, everything will be completely awkward for everyone.
  • My other friend (we'll call him Ivan) will cosplay as…gosh, I can't remember what he told me. But he'll inevitably get glomped by some crazy Belarus cosplayer.
  • I will cosplay as someone from either Pokemon or Sailor Moon. Some pervert will get too close, and I'll be to scared to ever go to another convention again.
Here's a picture of Chii:

And proof that you can have any skin color and still cosplay:

(Miyuukihime as Anna from Frozen)

(Unknown as Raven from Teen Titans; photo by Elite Cosplay)

(figarafox as Sailor Jupiter from Sailor Moon)

(figarafox as Lucina from Fire Emblem)

(Angelus Art as Sailor Moon; photo by Egon Spengler)

(Unknown as Queen Serenity from Sailor Moon)

(Unknown as Korra from Legend of Korra)
http://cosplayingwhileblack.tumblr.com
IF ANYONE HAS SURVIVAL TIPS FOR AN ANIME CONVENTION, PLEASE TELL ME! I'D LIKE TO HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE THERE!
Note to self: start following that tumblr. I'm not a cosplayer, but I love admiring people's work!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've said it before, I'll say it again: cons creep me out. Just seeing the pics and the vids of what goes on at those things are disturbing enough, and the fact that people as old as their 30s, 40s, 50s and onward go to those things seems like a cry for help to me (talk about a midlife crisis).

I will admit, though, I've often wondered if Halloween has become just another insignificant day for cosplayers. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've said it before, I'll say it again: cons creep me out. Just seeing the pics and the vids of what goes on at those things are disturbing enough, and the fact that people as old as their 30s, 40s, 50s and onward go to those things seems like a cry for help to me (talk about a midlife crisis).

Yeah, but here's the thing. Most people of that age don't cosplay and actually have involved conversations analyzing media with a fine tooth comb, and watching for the wonderful little nods to adults who watch cartoons. When I go to one of those things, it's almost specifically for that. Those are a lot more fun than teenage girls squeeing over how cute some drawn guy is.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Y'all can kiss my middle-aged grits. I go to Dragon*Con every year, I cosplay, and I do a dang good job of it and have a great time. If you have a problem with it, then that's your problem.