"The World of Jim Henson" 1994 documentary

beaker

Reaction score
I was at a thrift store today, and right when I was about to leave I noticed nestled amongst all the old vhs was "The World Of Jim Henson", a 90 minute documentary on Jim Henson and the Muppets from 1994 that I had never seen nor even heard of before

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_jim_henson

Anyone seen this? I lucked out as the vhs looked like it was brand new and never even played before.

I've seen all the specials on the life of Jim Henson but this by far was beyond anything I had seen. From 1955 and Sam and Friends to JHH/MuppetVision 3d and his passing, with everything in between...its just a really extrordinary viewing. A lot of interviews filmed for this from 1994 with Frank Oz, Brian Henson, Jane Henson, Francis Ford Copola, Stone, Juhl, etc.

I know Lionsgate is releasing the 1984 one, but I wish they or Disney could release this one, as it's by far and away the best one on JH and his life work I've seen. It even covers Land of Gorch and a tremendous amount of Sam and Friends/early commercial footage.

Anyone else seen this?

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Yes. Someone posted it on YouTube. I watched it a while back.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
This is probably one of the best T.V. bios I've seen on Jim over the years. I wish PBS would put it out on DVD and sell it.

dmoss

Reaction score
And the last part was removed from YouTube because of some kind of music rights violation.
It's still there! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsnwbtaQUY&NR=1

Just watched the whole thing on YouTube, and it was really a nice conglomeration of Jim's career, with some nice interview footage from Frank in there.

It looks like they've just removed 'Rainbow Connection' at the end, and have left the rest of the audio intact. I can't imagine why, as I've seen multiple other videos on YouTube with 'Rainbow Connection' in them...

Kiki

Reaction score
I know this! :excited: I watched it probably a few years after it was first released, but I haven't seen it since. Good find!

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I remember watching this documentary on PBS when it first aired and was impressed. It would be nice if someone put it out on DVD. I recall clips of some very early short films that Jim had made that were very strange, but cool at the same time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's still there! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsnwbtaQUY&NR=1

Just watched the whole thing on YouTube, and it was really a nice conglomeration of Jim's career, with some nice interview footage from Frank in there.

It looks like they've just removed 'Rainbow Connection' at the end, and have left the rest of the audio intact. I can't imagine why, as I've seen multiple other videos on YouTube with 'Rainbow Connection' in them...
For some reason all of the audio is now missing.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Here it is, again! HOWEVER, this is NOT the complete show. There are several chunks of it missing. I won't go into too much detail about that right now, but I will later on...or, if you're someone who knows this special forwards, backwards and upside down like I do, feel free to do it for me- it would really save me a lot time, what with how busy I am these days!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I had this on tape for years actually, when it aired on PBS. Excellent documentary, nice to see it again!